Ratnasambhava Buddha and pureland

gingercatni

Ratnasambhava Buddha and pureland

Post by gingercatni »

Hi everyone,

This is going to be a mixed bag post I suppose so here goes. I've talked about Ratnasambhava before, this blessed Buddha is somehow firmly fixed in my daily life. There really isn't a day where I don't think about Lord Ratnasambhava, his merits and virtues, his southern realm and his consorts. So much so that I have incorporated him into my daily practice.

But I find I think and reflect on Ratnasambhava more so than Amitabha, to the point of feeling guilty and that my practice to Amitabha isn't as sincere as it should be. In The Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra, the buddha describes how to attain rebirth in Amitabha's pureland, but goes on to explain that one should not attach oneself to this land or another, that like the sunlight reflecting on the ocean we shall be everywhere at once. He explains that if someone focuses on a Buddha of a particular direction he shall see him either in the day time or in a dream. I have much to learn of this particular sutra, but my point being that there must be some reason Ratnasambhava is so prominent in my life. I welcome his presence, however I'm not quite sure what I should be doing.

I welcome your constructive views, take care :smile:
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Ratnasambhava Buddha and pureland

Post by Astus »

The general method for meditation on any buddha is practically identical. You can do visualisation, you can recite his name, you may also find some mantras, you can contemplate his and his lands virtues, and of course have the wish to be born in his presence and his land.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

i reading
Sutra of Golden Light
http://www.fpmt.org/images/stories/teac ... 0207a4.pdf

"When the Tathagata Ratnashikhin was training in bodhisattva deeds, he made this prayer:"At the time of death, whoever in the ten directions hears my name, may they transmigrate from their world and be reborn in the Heaven of the Thirty-Three. There, may they be equal among gods."

normally, we said to be reborn in Amitabha's Pureland is as good as reborn in All Buddha's Pureland. Amitabha is also known as Infinity Buddha, which mean All Buddhas.

Vow 9 of Amitabha Buddha states:-
Provided I become a Buddha, if the beings of that country of mine should not all possessed of the Heavenly-step (Riddisakchatkriya) which can in the shortest moment of one thought travelling over a hundred thousand kotis of nayuta of Buddha-countries, then may I not attain the enlightenment.
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Good stuff
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

Astus wrote:The general method for meditation on any buddha is practically identical. You can do visualisation, you can recite his name, you may also find some mantras, you can contemplate his and his lands virtues, and of course have the wish to be born in his presence and his land.
All true, but maybe these other Buddha's come into our lives to help us through certain things, Amitabha is not alone in being compassionate. But while these other Buddha's may help, Amitabha having been exclaimed by all the Buddha's, is the path to follow. Maybe I just need to be more mindful.......who ever said pureland was the easy path was wrong! :smile:
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

gingercatni wrote:Hi everyone,

This is going to be a mixed bag post I suppose so here goes. I've talked about Ratnasambhava before, this blessed Buddha is somehow firmly fixed in my daily life. There really isn't a day where I don't think about Lord Ratnasambhava, his merits and virtues, his southern realm and his consorts. So much so that I have incorporated him into my daily practice.

But I find I think and reflect on Ratnasambhava more so than Amitabha, to the point of feeling guilty and that my practice to Amitabha isn't as sincere as it should be. In The Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra, the buddha describes how to attain rebirth in Amitabha's pureland, but goes on to explain that one should not attach oneself to this land or another, that like the sunlight reflecting on the ocean we shall be everywhere at once. He explains that if someone focuses on a Buddha of a particular direction he shall see him either in the day time or in a dream. I have much to learn of this particular sutra, but my point being that there must be some reason Ratnasambhava is so prominent in my life. I welcome his presence, however I'm not quite sure what I should be doing.

I welcome your constructive views, take care :smile:
OK, just a reality check - guilty about doing dharma practice? You know that recollecting the Buddha (Buddhanusmrti/nembutsu) is considered good, right?

But I can relate, I get totally irrational guilt too, worrying about not doing dharma practice right. I just have to remind myself that the guilt itself is my own defilement. And then just acknowledge the good that I'm doing for even trying.

But anyway, if you feel drawn to Ratnasambhava, practice with him. If tomorrow you want time with Medicine Buddha, call him. If your devotion to Ratnasambhava is sincere, then your devotion to Amitabha is also sincere. If there is a voice in your head telling you otherwise, that is not real, that is mara. Think, "oh mara, how wonderful that you have joined me when I am practicing Buddhanusmrti! You must have an auspicious karmic connection to both Ratnasambhava and Amitabha!" and invite mara to practice with you. And be patient with yourself, realize it is your own inner afflictions coming up to be purified. Let it inspire compassion, cause the fight that you are having with yourself is the same fight going on in every dualistic mind, in one way or another.

Keep up the good work!!!
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

dakini_boi wrote: If your devotion to Ratnasambhava is sincere, then your devotion to Amitabha is also sincere.

Keep up the good work!!!
I am of the same opinion.

gingercatni,

Keep practicing and doing what you are doing. Things will be clearer as you keep practicing. Buddhas will not let you endure that guilt for long. :mrgreen:
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Pure Land”