Pope Benedict XVI Says He Will Resign

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

Citing advanced years and infirmity, Pope Benedict XVI stunned the Roman Catholic world on Monday by saying that he would resign on Feb. 28 after less than eight years in office, the first pope to do so in six centuries. More here
Nosta

Re: Pope Benedict XVI Says He Will Resign

Post by Nosta »

What do you think about Malachy prophecies?

Read this one (not from Malachy):

Does the below dream of John Bosco speak of the new Benedict XVI and his rather quick election?

John Bosco says,

"But hardly is the Pontiff dead than another takes his place. The pilots, having met together, have elected the Pope so promptly that the news of the death of the Pope coincides with the news of the election of the successor. The adversaries begin to lose courage."

"The new Pope, putting the enemy to rout and overcoming every obstacle, guides the ship right up to the two columns and comes to rest between them; he makes it fast with a light chain that hangs from the bow to an anchor of the column on which stands the Host; and with another light chain which hangs from the stern, he fastens it at the opposite end to another anchor hanging from the column on which stands the Immaculate Virgin.

http://www.bibleprobe.com/last10popes.htm
uan

Post by uan »

wow.

May he continue his spiritual journey for the remainder of this life and the next and have the causes and conditions that lead to the end of suffering.

With loving-kindness and compassion.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Nosta wrote:What do you think about Malachy prophecies?

Prophetic foresight is a feature of some holy figures no matter the religion. In Buddhism someone with this ability is generally said to have the "divine eye" (divya-cakṣus).
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

I believe that non buddhists with such ability, developed some degree of concentration. Or maybe they have little karmic obstacles (because of past lives for example, where they followed Dharma).

Anyway, in a general way I dont believe to much on prophecies because they are usually forged. Altought I think that Malachy prophecies are interesting, as so the one I posted in my last post.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Well, that was short-lived. Seems that Pope Benedict has decided to come out of retirement:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... versy.html
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Karma Dorje wrote:Well, that was short-lived. Seems that Pope Benedict has decided to come out of retirement:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... versy.html
That seems to be satire.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

Well he was no friend of Buddhism and I hope his successor may be more sensitive.

" Perhaps one of his most worrying comments was regarding Buddhism, which he called an "autoerotic spirituality" that seeks "transcendence without imposing concrete religious obligations." He also made the point that, by the year 2000, Buddhism would replace Marxism as the church's biggest foe. (See National Catholic Reporter Vol. 35, No. 17, Feb. 27, 1999). Perhaps he was not aware that Marxism had all but disappeared by 1990. He has also made other blunders such as quoting a former Byzantine monarch's comment regarding Islam at a particularly insensitive time."

http://cathar-martyr.tripod.com/inquisition.html

Graham
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Such statements are new to me. Thanks for sharing them.

After reading that statements about buddhism, its better to see this pope out of the way.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Nosta wrote:Such statements are new to me. Thanks for sharing them.

After reading that statements about buddhism, its better to see this pope out of the way.
IMV there is a difference between Cardinal Ratzinger, Defender of the Faith, and Pope Benedict. Pope Benedict appears to me to be more open on interfaith issues that he was as Cardinal.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

kirtu wrote:
IMV there is a difference between Cardinal Ratzinger, Defender of the Faith, and Pope Benedict. Pope Benedict appears to me to be more open on interfaith issues that he was as Cardinal.

Kirt
Good point, but is this openness due external pressures? I don't think the man has changed, just his title.

The quote from the Byzantine emperor about Islam he made as Pope.

Graham
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

kirtu wrote:

Kirt
Good point, but is this openness due to external pressures? I don't think the man has changed, just his title.

The famous quote from the Byzantine emperor about Islam he made as Pope:

"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

Not exactly diplomatic .....

Graham
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Wonder who's going to be the new one... the Internet is already filled with some most disturbing rumours...

;-)
Attachments
newpope.jpg
newpope.jpg (83.24 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Huseng wrote:Prophetic foresight is a feature of some holy figures no matter the religion. In Buddhism someone with this ability is generally said to have the "divine eye" (divya-cakṣus).
I don't know about divine eyes. Pope Benedict had Charles Manson eyes.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

Dear all

I haven't seen positive confirmation of this, but it's circulating quite widely:

http://itccs.org/

An arrest warrant may have precipitated his resignation

With Metta

Graham

Return to “Lounge”