What are the Ngagpa vows?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Sora

What are the Ngagpa vows?

Post by Sora »

If you know, please let me know what are the Ngagpa/Ngagmo vows and how to become one!
ngodrup

Re: What are the Ngagpa vows?

Post by ngodrup »

Sora wrote:If you know, please let me know what are the Ngagpa/Ngagmo vows and how to become one!
The root samayas have been posted, there are other commitments-- several levels. The vision behind this is utterly
pervasive. The specifics of ngakpa ordination are to a large extent confidential between oneself and the ngakpa
who is one's root guru, what details are to be observed. One becomes one when it seems necessary that one
becomes one. After one has a relationship of mutual trust with a lama who is a ngakpa, you can ask that lama
if he or she will ordain you. So will, some will not.
heart

Post by heart »

Sora wrote:If you know, please let me know what are the Ngagpa/Ngagmo vows and how to become one!
There isn't any simple answer to that question. I spent considerable time investigating this out of personal interest. The easy answer is that all serious laypeople practicing the three inner tantras are ngakpas. Looking at it like this only persons with a certain amount of realization should wear the ngakpa clothes. This is more or less what my Guru says about this. However, there do exist some transmissions of special samayas ,on top of the samayas for the inner tantras, for example, the hair empowerment in the Dudjom throma cycle. In some snghas it also seems like everyone wear Ngakpa clothes. Ultimately it seems to be between you and your Guru.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

:good:
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
heart

Post by heart »

To add a few things.

To become a Ngakpa you have to have certain things. A Guru. The necessary empowerment's. Capacity to keep the Samaya by continuously practicing whatever your Guru ask of you. The capacity and the great fortune to learn how to do the various rituals belonging to your practices. The capacity to find and get transmission and instruction on the various commentaries of your practice, this often include sponsoring translations. The capacity to practice joyfully and never give up with great courage no matter what happens day after day, month, weeks, years and decades until we die.

So in a sense it all boils down to devotion, compassion and recognition of the natural state.

So this is not like taking monk vows where the vows in a sense is the practice of being a monk. Being a Ngakpa is means integrating the practice of the three inner tantras with an ordinary life, meaning a partner, children and a full time work or however your particular circumstances are.

So, if you want to become a Ngakpa the most important thing is finding a qualified Guru and being accepted as his/her disciple.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Gyalpo

Post by Gyalpo »

It is also said, that no one can hold all the samayas in a perfect way. Therefore we do also purification with ganapuja or Vajrasattva. My ngakpa lama told us, that he will not explain all the samayas to us at once, because no one will take the ngakpa ordination. He said, that it is better to learn them slowly, train oneself, and to become better ngakpa step by step, every day. No one can by perfect ngakpa practicioner ot once.

Anyway, to take a ngakpa ordination is at least commitment to be more serious and dedicated practicioner, than you was, for me it is a way in between lay and monastic.

I had the same questions years before I took this kind of ordinations, but 14 root downfalls was the only thing I find. Anyway, I dont know why I was so atracted to this...

If you want to know more, try this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Conduct-A ... 0861710835
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

My teachers put out a condescend commentary on the three vows as presented in the book referenced above:

http://www.padmasambhava.org/cart/catal ... cts_id=662
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

heart wrote:To add a few things.

To become a Ngakpa you have to have certain things. A Guru. The necessary empowerment's. Capacity to keep the Samaya by continuously practicing whatever your Guru ask of you. The capacity and the great fortune to learn how to do the various rituals belonging to your practices. The capacity to find and get transmission and instruction on the various commentaries of your practice, this often include sponsoring translations. The capacity to practice joyfully and never give up with great courage no matter what happens day after day, month, weeks, years and decades until we die.

So in a sense it all boils down to devotion, compassion and recognition of the natural state.

So this is not like taking monk vows where the vows in a sense is the practice of being a monk. Being a Ngakpa is means integrating the practice of the three inner tantras with an ordinary life, meaning a partner, children and a full time work or however your particular circumstances are.

So, if you want to become a Ngakpa the most important thing is finding a qualified Guru and being accepted as his/her disciple.

/magnus
:good:

It is often that the most important point is lost in the on-line discussions of the Vajrayana, and also in our own practice: respect and devotion towards one's guru.
Sora

Post by Sora »

Thank you all so much for answering my question! Those were very helpful.
I have a lama that I feel deep faith and devotion and I know I want to be devoted to him
for the rest my life. I wanted to know some basic things before bothering him with my
question (He is old, travels all the time and my question will need to be translated...).
The idea of becoming a Nagpa/Nagmo (I guess in my case Nagmo, because I'm a woman)
came precisely because I feel so much devotion to him--I feel I like to take on some commitments
and responsibility. As I decided not to become a nun after thinking about it on and off for years,
thought this might be something that I need to pursue.
By the way, my Lama is a monk. I thought a monk-lama can still give a Nagpa vow but am I wrong?
Any thoughts are welcome, thanks very much!
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Sora wrote: By the way, my Lama is a monk. I thought a monk-lama can still give a Nagpa vow but am I wrong?
Generally speaking when someone speaks of a ngakpa, they are referring to the white skirt, long hair
sangha, not the red skirt shaved head sangha. So the aspiring ngakpa would seek out a ngakpa as their
root guru. Some monks also hold ngakpa and have the authority to give that ordination, but not typically.
Monks rarely give ngakpa ordination, although i know of a few. (maybe just Dudjom Tersar and Nam cho?)
Likewise, Ngakpas, since they are not monks do not give monastic ordination, but can give bodhisattva vows.
More typically ngakpas make ngakpas.

Are there any ngakpas in your sangha that your monastic lama has ordained?
heart

Post by heart »

Sora wrote:
By the way, my Lama is a monk. I thought a monk-lama can still give a Nagpa vow but am I wrong?
Since anything Ngakpa is a part of samaya it depends on if your Guru holds the empowerment's with Ngakpa samayas. If he is a major lineage holder he probably does. Then there is also the question what kind of path he think is best for his students.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Heruka

Post by Heruka »

many vow takers, few vow keepers.
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Heruka wrote:many vow takers, few vow keepers.
If we were not deluded sentient beings, there would be no need for vows to begin with!

Is it difficult? Yes. Is it worth trying? YES!

Its not something casual to do for fun, but maybe if you feel so very strongly to liberate as many as you can as soon as possible, then maybe this is something worth attempting. Samayas are compared to a soft gold pot, easy to dent, but easy enough to repair too.

Samayas are a FORD car: Fix or Repair Daily (this is not to say Fords are not reliable autos, but the acronym fit my point)
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

byamspa and heruka,
Very good point!

Truth be told, if one could actually keep all the samayas and vows,
one would already be realized! Alas, the point seems to be to try--
which is most rare. To have the inspiration, understanding, and guts
to make 'impossible promises' and the even try to fulfill them is amazing.
The reality is the practice is doing a lot of purification.
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

ngodrup wrote: --snip--
Likewise, Ngakpas, since they are not monks do not give monastic ordination, but can give bodhisattva vows.
--snip--
We can? None of my teachers ever said this, then again, I never asked about it.

I would not feel comfortable that I'm qualified to do this.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

byamspa wrote:
ngodrup wrote: --snip--
--snip--
We can? None of my teachers ever said this, then again, I never asked about it.

I would not feel comfortable that I'm qualified to do this.
I think Ngodrup is referring to ngakpa lamas here.
Sora

Post by Sora »

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate those comments!
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Frankly speaking, I think many people see "Ngagpa vows" more as a form of self-identification, a "status," if you will, than as a sign that one really
holds mantra," which is what "Ngakpa" really means.

If one's chief focus in life is the practice of secret mantra, and one knows and understands the samayas of the Inner Tantras, and one has actually committed onself to the continuous practice of some form of secret mantra practice, for one's lifetime, that is the chief thing. The "bestowal of vows," the clothes and the hair, all that stuff is really secondary, and should be an outward sign of an internal condition.

But perhaps I'm just talking to myself, here.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote:Frankly speaking, I think many people see "Ngagpa vows" more as a form of self-identification, a "status," if you will, than as a sign that one really
holds mantra," which is what "Ngakpa" really means.

If one's chief focus in life is the practice of secret mantra, and one knows and understands the samayas of the Inner Tantras, and one has actually committed onself to the continuous practice of some form of secret mantra practice, for one's lifetime, that is the chief thing. The "bestowal of vows," the clothes and the hair, all that stuff is really secondary, and should be an outward sign of an internal condition.

But perhaps I'm just talking to myself, here.
Not at all, I think that about sums it up.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”