Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

oldbob

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by oldbob »

Andrew108 wrote:Are we talking about Dzogchen? About receiving the Dzogchen transmission? Or are we talking about paying for the hundreds of secondary practices we can do because we still haven't understood something.
If there are problems with the Dzogchen Community it is the problem of the proliferation of secondary practices. If a person wants the Dzogchen transmission then it's right there at an unbelievably low cost. It's really simple.
Oldbob and young Andrew are equally fresh? No? I have an idea. If you go to four retreats a year and have been doing that for quite a while, why not instead of going to a retreat, sponsor someone who can't afford it? I don't mean this in a sarcastic or negative way. If you can't change the policy or what the Dzogchen Community has become then why not set up a fund for poor people who cannot attend when the Direct Introduction is given? I think this would be helpful. Also a others have mentioned you might want to get more involved with the gakyil and try to work at it from the inside.
The primary practice is Guru Yoga. My job is to do my best to be present 24/7 with the feature of allowing whatever arises in my continuum to dissolve as it arises (in a non-dual sort of way).

Within this continuum of awareness, I can choose what secondary practices that I would like to do. While you are correct that I don't understand anything, I do have the right to choose what secondary practices that I participate in. Because I like variety, I like to know of many different secondary practices. Then I can choose according to how I am feeling that day. In the DC, this is allowable.

I would explain Andrew's dynamics not through a square peg round hole analogy but by suggesting that he is talking about apples while I am talking about bananas. When you talk about things, you need to talk about apples as apples and bananas as bananas, so it seems he is left holding the apples and I, bananas - or did I get that backwards. :smile:

I usually don't sponsor a poor person for retreats because it is not a good use of money. This only helps one person. Reinventing the DCA so it can help many people - now that is interesting.

Since I have had enough bananas for the day I will end any further dialogue with Andrew here.

ob
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Weird. I seem to have lost a post.

Anyway, the gist of it was, Oldbob has pointed out a problem that is, IMHO, by no means imaginary and very much in need of being addressed. And it's not a problem of the US sangha only, far from that. So if there is any way in which I can contribute, I'll gladly be of help.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:Weird. I seem to have lost a post.

Anyway, the gist of it was, Oldbob has pointed out a problem that is, IMHO, by no means imaginary and very much in need of being addressed. And it's not a problem of the US sangha only, far from that. So if there is any way in which I can contribute, I'll gladly be of help.
Easiest way to go about changing things, and that is not to say it is easy is to join the Gakyil. The more people on a Gakyil with a similar vision the easier it is to create the change you want. So, one way to go about it is to get together with a few members, get clear what you want to create, join the Gakyil at the same time and make things happen.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Andrew108 wrote:Passivity can manifest in many ways. If you focus on your achievements then that is passivity. If you collect teachings then that is passivity. If you have problems then that is passivity. If you criticize others then that is passivity. If you can't stay with the transmission of the teachings then that is passivity. If you think that old students know more then young students then that is passivity. If you die without knowing what to do then that is passivity. If you don't know how to integrate the teachings then that is passivity. If you worship your teacher and constantly praise their qualities then that is passivity. There are many forms of passivity because there is not so much realization.

Andrew, honestly, re-read this....wtf does it actually mean?! Who told you all these things?
s.
Pero

Post by Pero »

oldbob wrote:My point is that this kind of unfriendly attitude is what is killing the DC. In the context of the thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of volunteer time that I have contributed to Tseygyalgar it was just small minded on their part. Please keep in mind that these are the same folks who spent a million dollars building a dance hall, open to the elements, in the wilds of Massachusetts, for the regular use (in season) of only 20 people.
Ouch....
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

oldbob wrote:My point is that this kind of unfriendly attitude is what is killing the DC. In the context of the thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of volunteer time that I have contributed to Tseygyalgar it was just small minded on their part. Please keep in mind that these are the same folks who spent a million dollars building a dance hall, open to the elements, in the wilds of Massachusetts, for the regular use (in season) of only 20 people.
This problem isn't unique. It seems to me that far too many centers are focused more on creating grand edifices than realized practitioners. There really is a tremendous underinvestment in people doing the actual practice, though there are lots of fancy buildings. I think it's a great idea to form some sort of parallel organization or to re-invent the old one and I would be very happy to help in any way I can.

I think many of us have experienced what it is like to be in close proximity to a lama in more private groups. While acknowledging they do many great things, I for one find the bureaucracy of a large organization like the DC to be crazy-making.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

oldbob wrote:It would have cost them nothing to allow me to attend. What did they prove except that they could exercise authority and keep people from attending, if someone did not meet their expectations of payment. This circumstance is fine from their point of view.

My point is that this kind of unfriendly attitude is what is killing the DC. In the context of the thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of volunteer time that I have contributed to Tseygyalgar it was just small minded on their part. Please keep in mind that these are the same folks who spent a million dollars building a dance hall, open to the elements, in the wilds of Massachusetts, for the regular use (in season) of only 20 people.

What's wrong with this picture?

There has got to be a better way.
oldbob wrote:Next Summer, if I don't go to the Tseygyalgar retreat, I will listen to it on web cast, and be completely happy. If I don't go, it just means that the DC doesn't get the extra money from me, and others, that they could have received if they had allowed member discounts. No big deal for me. BUT THIS IS SYMPTOMATIC OF THE MINDSET OF THE GAKYIL and helps to explain why only 20 people show up for Ganapuja.

Well, oldbob, puts openly some very painful issues....
In fact, I had also similar "accidents" with the local Gakyil here.
Note: I was also part of the Gakyil in the past, so I have a little knowledge how things are working from inside.
Here, only 3-5 people show up for Ganapuja, and sometimes none.
Obviously, the cause is the unfriendly attitude, the exercise of authority, the personal likes and dislikes of people etc.
The cause is always Samsara, it does not matter whether we are playing "Dzogchen" or "not Dzogchen".
I am sorry, I have no answers...... :shrug:

Dzogchen may be direct and simple, but it is not easy!!!

The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

I live in Santa Fe, which is dharma central for the most part. Online for New Mexico there were 3 people of contact for the Dzogchen Community. I emailed them and never got a response. The idea of sangha can really be lost in the West. I've witnessed how a lot center around very accomplished academics and the like creating elite circles of spiritual materialism. I for one wish more sanghas were open, friendly, encouraging and willing to abide by the bodhisattva principles by helping everyone up the mountain, no matter where they are. Not really a jab at DC, but just an observation about the dharma in the west in general.

That being said if there is anyone from Santa Fe or New Mexico in general on this board who is apart of DC, please PM me.
Dan Dorje

Post by Dan Dorje »

Things are going better and better.
In Merigar East, there is a big discount for the newcomers:
"Recommended donations for the Dzogchen Retreat
For people who come for the first time to the retreat Merigar East offers free reduced membership for one year and 50% discount for the retreat! "

This is wonderful!

:thanks:
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Dan Dorje wrote:Things are going better and better.
In Merigar East, there is a big discount for the newcomers:
"Recommended donations for the Dzogchen Retreat
For people who come for the first time to the retreat Merigar East offers free reduced membership for one year and 50% discount for the retreat! "
Well, yes but that's nothing new. It's been like that for a couple of years.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The devil makes work for idle minds it seems!

I am going to make a few things clear here because I am sick of the gossip going on around this issue.

A number of posts were deleted at the request of the posters that made them. It is that simple.

There is no conspiracy, nobody is putting fluoride in the web site to calcify your pineal glands, "we" are not out to get "you".

A couple of posts were lost for techincal reasons beyond staff control bzzzzzztttt... bzzzzzztttt... [slaps side of monitor repeatedly]

This was explained to the people whose posts were lost and then their public cries of "cyber-wolf" were removed as they no longer served a purpose.

For future reference: if you feel that something "untoward" is happening or believe that a post or member should be dealt with for one reason or another then contact staff via private message or the reporting function instead of setting off a chain reaction of paranoid delusion :tongue: by making posts that may never be read by a staff member since we cannot be expected to read every single post in every single thread.

Thank you.
Greg

Now back to the regular program...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Tashigar Sur Retreat
22nd-28th March 2013

Teaching for this retreat is SimhaMukha of Ayu Khandro.

Open Webcast

ARGENTINA'S TIME: GMT-3

22 March

4,30-5,30pm: Introduction about the teaching for this retreat

5,30-6pm: Short Ganapuja for the Day of Guru Rinpoche. And Singing and dancing

23 March

10 am-12pm: Teaching of A.K Simhamukha instructions

24 March

10am-12pm: Giving a Dowang of Simhamukha

25 March

10am-12pm: Teaching of A.K Simhamukha instructions

26 March

27 March

4,30-5,30pm: Ganapuja for the end of this retreat and the full moon.

28 March 10am-12pm: Teaching of the Last day of this retreat

In the Webcast Site http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast You will find updated SCHEDULE and informations
Ish

Post by Ish »

Thank you to Rinpoche and the people at the retreat, the webcast was very good.

I wanted to ask what is the song they are playing at the end of the cast, i heard it on a few retreats. It sounds like a Tibetan devotional or folk song.

Best wishes to you all.
heart

Post by heart »

Ish wrote:Thank you to Rinpoche and the people at the retreat, the webcast was very good.

I wanted to ask what is the song they are playing at the end of the cast, i heard it on a few retreats. It sounds like a Tibetan devotional or folk song.

Best wishes to you all.
It is the song of the vajra, an all encompassing Dzogchen teaching. The melody is a terma by ChNNR.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Inge

Post by Inge »

Maybe you are thinking of the Tibetan Song "Yi Re Kyo" by Kunga. It is played sometimes before or after webcasts. It is on youtube.
Ish

Post by Ish »

Inge wrote:Maybe you are thinking of the Tibetan Song "Yi Re Kyo" by Kunga. It is played sometimes before or after webcasts. It is on youtube.
Yeah that's the one, thanks brother :thanks: .
heart

Post by heart »

Inge wrote:Maybe you are thinking of the Tibetan Song "Yi Re Kyo" by Kunga. It is played sometimes before or after webcasts. It is on youtube.
:smile: right, sorry about that.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Perhaps it would be a good idea to visualize K Yeshe and send him lots of hugs.

:soapbox:

"WITHOUT KINDNESS IT FALLS APART." This is the message of the hugs.

(End of :soapbox: )

Examples of kindness that are easily within K Yeshe's capacity to demonstrate are:

1. Have access to the webcast be from the normal restricted webcast page.

http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webc ... denied.php

rather than from a "special" web address only available from Norbunet. Perhaps some members, who had not checked Norbunet, could not find the webcast.

http://shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/yeshi.php

2. Have the audio level of the English translator be at the same volume level as K Yeshe's voice. Perhaps she just needs to have the microphone closer to her mouth. K Yeshe's voice was booming while the translator's was soft and muffled.

3. Have an English translator whose native language is English, or at least has an understandable pronunciation of English. (I couldn't understand most of her English and I've been going to Italy for 30 years.)

4. Have a separate button for an English only audio feed, that is ONLY webcasting the translator's English. There was a button for Italian. The audio feed buttons are necessary because in some places where they have low quality internet, the lower bit rate, audio-only webcast can get through when the video cannot. Here in Margarita, neither got through consistently.

5. Allow a simultaneous icecast feed of the "old" system / with low bit rate, that sometimes can work when the "new" system does not.

6. ALLOW A REPLAY OF THE TEACHINGS. Here in Margarita, only a very little of the webcast came through, so I have no idea of the content.

If anyone has a recording of these precious teachings, or is making a transcript, please PM me and help me get a copy, as I am very interested in learning "The Secrets of All the Buddhas," from an acknowledged lineage holder such as K Yeshe. If K Yeshe can explicate the very precious Teachings of the Yeshe Lama in terms of science, mathematics, and systems theory, this is cutting edge stuff and I really want to hear what he is saying. Having practiced the Yeshe Lama since 1980 it would be wonderful to be able to "understand" my experiences in a new light, and this would really be evolution.

THE FIRST STEP IS TO HELP THE MESSAGE OF WHAT K YESHE HAS TO SAY, GET THROUGH, IN A GOOD WAY THAT IS UNDERSTANDABLE AND COMPLETE.

Then it is possible to begin to relate to the content.

Please remember - send lots of hugs to K Yeshe and maybe things will get better. :smile: :heart:

Oh - and Happy Easter to all, as millions of our Christian brothers and sisters around the world, celebrate the reappearance of the magical form body, of the most respected Dzogchen saint, Jesus Christ.

:smile:

ob
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

First, many thanks to Khyenste Yeshe for this morning's teachings. What he did there was new and I am quite interested to see how the rest of teachings will evolve. Today was the "epistemology" portion and because of that was understandably intellectually dense. I found it necessary to remain exceptionally focused.

All the more reason to be sure that the sound of what the translator is saying comes through for those who speak English. As OB mentioned, the translators voice was soft and often muffled. I found it necessary to hold the speaker next to my ear to hear what was being said. Any ambient sounds in the teaching room washed out what she was saying. Perhaps having the mic closer to her mouth will help. I did notice a slight improvement, because as time went on, i found I could hear her better. Perhaps i just got used to it, I don't know.

Actually, I am very happy to have these teachings available at all and hope the KY will continue to teach the larger DC. OB has many suggestions. For me, I just want to be sure I can hear what is being said.

And my thanks again to Khyentse Yeshe.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Thank you, oldbob! :heart:
Your suggestions are sensible and your motivation is kind.
Let's hope that somebody who is in charge will read and consider seriously your words.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....

Return to “Dzogchen”