Hello all

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
gordtheseeker

Hello all

Post by gordtheseeker »

Hi guys. I have been here for a week or so but just noticed the introduction forum.

I am new to Buddhism but have found it to be a spring of refreshing water after wandering the deserts of religion for a very long time. Years of Christianity, then gnosticism, then paganism, then Christianity, then gnosticism, etc, etc left me a bit jaded on God and spirituality as a whole. This passage from the psalms is pretty much how i felt, 'as a stag longs for a stream, so my heart longs for you O God'.

My last go around with gnosticism lead me to try meditation again as many gnostics do this. I had tried it before without much luck. This time I decided to read some books on Buddhism as they seemed to know a lot about meditation. I read Zen Mind, Beginners Mind and I haven't looked back.

The practice of zazen has really helped me. The Zen idea about 'just sit and do zazen' is incredibly refreshing to a mind that can't seem to grasp onto anything anymore. At this point I am sick of scriptures(not saying there is anything wrong with scriptures, but that's been my focus in other religions, i do hope to study Buddhist scripture eventually), so the Zen tradition is very appealing to me as I do zazen and ponder the noble truths and precepts and try to walk the 8-fold path. As I look deeper into Buddhism I find it's view on the world, life and death makes sense to a mind that had trouble aligning other religions teachings to something I could grasp.

I look forward to learning more from the folks on this forum. From my few days already on here you have been very helpful and I than you for that! :smile:

gord
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Hello all

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel gordo, I hope we can all be of some help to you.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Motova

Post by Motova »

Welcome to Dharmawheel Gord, I hope you enjoy your stay.

:namaste:

/Dylan
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
_username_

Post by _username_ »

Hi <wave>
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hi and welcome gord. :smile: Although I am a student of Tibetan buddhism, Zen Mind, Beginners Mind is still one of my favourite books. It can be read again and again as you go deeper into it's meaning.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
gordtheseeker

Post by gordtheseeker »

Thank you all for the welcome! :)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

welcome to Dharma Wheel!