May wrathful practice be performed?

swampflower

May wrathful practice be performed?

Post by swampflower »

If one is practicing Chod, may one also perform wrathful practices?
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
conebeckham

Re: May wrathful practice be performed?

Post by conebeckham »

What do you mean by "wrathful practices?"

Do you mean "perform sadhana of wrathful yidams?" Or do you mean something else...some sort of "activity?"
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
swampflower

Post by swampflower »

conebeckham wrote:What do you mean by "wrathful practices?"

Do you mean "perform sadhana of wrathful yidams?" Or do you mean something else...some sort of "activity?"
Oh, yes, I mean sadhana of wrathful yidams. Ha, ha, no activity here!
I have taken on Daily Dorje Drolo Practice and now I have been accepted to have Chod transmission and teachings. I am concerned that I may need to give up Dorje Drolo to practice Chod properly but this does not feel correct. I will of course ask the Lama, in the mean time I was hoping for input to calm my mind and remove obstructions so I may be properly prepared for transmission and practice.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There's no contradiction.

In Kagyu three year retreats, chod is practiced daily. Dorje Drollo is also practiced as a main practice.
And of course daily protector practices, Kilaya practice......there are "wrathful" practices that are practiced daily.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Pero

Post by Pero »

Hm I've heard that when practicing Chod one shouldn't do wrathful practices. They're kind of opposites - in Chod you offer your body to all, in wrathful practice you destroy negativity... Though in retrospect I'm not 100% sure how it was meant. Maybe not to do one right after the other, like in the same session.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Depending on how you do it, and the sadhana in particular, Chöd itself can be extremely wrathful. For instance, it may involve transforming into the extremely wrathful yidam Troma Nagmo. Of course, you don't mix the sadhanas (such as in the case if you are doing a yidam practice separate from the Chöd) but do them in a sequence. In which order you should perform the sadhanas may play a role though.

I am not advising you on your practice, just offering some general perspectives. Sounds like you need help organizing your daily practice. Ask your lama, or possibly a senior student that you trust in the Sangha.

Best Wishes,

Jens
Josef

Post by Josef »

swampflower wrote:
conebeckham wrote:What do you mean by "wrathful practices?"

Oh, yes, I mean sadhana of wrathful yidams. Ha, ha, no activity here!
I have taken on Daily Dorje Drolo Practice and now I have been accepted to have Chod transmission and teachings. I am concerned that I may need to give up Dorje Drolo to practice Chod properly but this does not feel correct. I will of course ask the Lama, in the mean time I was hoping for input to calm my mind and remove obstructions so I may be properly prepared for transmission and practice.
Hi Swamp,
You can definitely do both.
Ask Rinpoche, I'm sure he can provide you with some insight.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
swampflower

Post by swampflower »

Yes, thanks to all!
As my Yidam Deity is a Wrathful manifestation of Guru Rinpoche Padmasambhava my Lama has advised for me to continue this practice.
I will perform Yidam Deity practice first in the morning, then move on to my Chod practice.
:namaste:
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

I think it's important to note a couple of things regarding Chod and wrathful practice. On the one hand, the wrathful expulsion of demons, obstructors, etc. is the antithesis of Chod. For that reason, you [generally] never see a Geg Tor in a Chod Tsog (the Torma for the obstructors). It's definitely the "feed, not fight" mentality.
On the other hand, some Chod sadhanas actually include extremely wrathful activity. The opening Wangdu Zilnon (Overwhelming with Majestic Splendour) section of many Terma Chod sadhanas utilizes all four of the Four Thrinley, including the annihilation. Sometimes this is indicated with a HUNG HUNG HUNG PHAT!
Take, for instance, the Chod Cham (dance) in the Khando Kegyang, Jigme Lingpa's Chod. In it, the practitioner wrathfully emanates and basically spars with a demon before restraining it and pitching a tent on it. It also advocates for some wrathful processes of exterminating hard-to-manage frightful appearances/demons, if the LuJin alone does not subdue them.
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

This question has been on my mind a lot in the past couple of weeks. Just found this quote from "Machig's complete explanation" that quite aptly answers the question of wrathful practice.
"Do not beat down, drive out, or torture other beings by instigating harm on hostile, nonhuman sentient beings through charmed substances (rdzas thun), wrathful mantras, or doing wrathful practice. If you beat them down and drive them out, you contradict me and have lost the way of Chöd. On the other hand, if my followers do not tame these hostile demons that harm other sentient beings, it also runs contrary to me. Therefore, the method to tame demons is to give up your cherishing fixation on the body and give your life and limb to those demons without hesitation. That is the way to tame the demons." (Harding, 207).
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:This question has been on my mind a lot in the past couple of weeks. Just found this quote from "Machig's complete explanation" that quite aptly answers the question of wrathful practice.
"Do not beat down, drive out, or torture other beings by instigating harm on hostile, nonhuman sentient beings through charmed substances (rdzas thun), wrathful mantras, or doing wrathful practice. If you beat them down and drive them out, you contradict me and have lost the way of Chöd. On the other hand, if my followers do not tame these hostile demons that harm other sentient beings, it also runs contrary to me. Therefore, the method to tame demons is to give up your cherishing fixation on the body and give your life and limb to those demons without hesitation. That is the way to tame the demons." (Harding, 207).
It really has to do with one's lineage, and what the Guru instructs. . .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Kilaya

Post by Kilaya »

Does Throma Nagmo have any separate sadhana of her own apart from the Chöd ritual?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kilaya wrote:Does Throma Nagmo have any separate sadhana of her own apart from the Chöd ritual?

Yes. Many.

N
Kilaya

Post by Kilaya »

Namdrol wrote:
Kilaya wrote:Does Throma Nagmo have any separate sadhana of her own apart from the Chöd ritual?

Yes. Many.

N
Is her specific activity similar to that of Sengdongma?
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

Kilaya wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Yes. Many.

N
Similar, sure... but it sort of depends on whether you're referring to the Nyingma Sengdongma or the Sarma Sengdongma from the Chakrasamvara Tantra.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:Nyingma Sengdongma or the Sarma Sengdongma from the Chakrasamvara Tantra.
They are the same. They both use the 14 syllable mantra. The sole difference is whether it is kama or terma. Nyingma Simhamukha is all terma. Kama Simhamukha comes from Bari Lotsawa through Sakya.

N
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kilaya wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Yes. Many.

N
The kama origin of Krodhakali is the mahāsiddha Virupa who received the sadhana for Krodhakali in Oddiyāna. This sadhana was introduced to Tibet by Padampha Sangye.

The remaining Krodhakali practices are all terma, beginning with the Krodhakali practice of Nyang Ral Nyima Ozer.
Kilaya

Post by Kilaya »

I meant that - apart from the obvious goal of attaining realization - Simhamukha's sadhana is connected with averting negative forces and black magic. Does the same go for Throma Nagmo, or is there any other specific activity she is related with?
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Kilaya wrote:I meant that - apart from the obvious goal of attaining realization - Simhamukha's sadhana is connected with averting negative forces and black magic. Does the same go for Throma Nagmo, or is there any other specific activity she is related with?
The focus of the most widely practiced Throma cycle today--the Dudjom Lingpa's Throma Nagmo--is the realization of sherab, transcendent knowingness. Great lamas when teaching the public in this cycle, may emphasize the Indian roots of Vajravarahi, the feminine principle in general, the chod, Dzogchen, or the unity of all these.

The cycle, however, contains many different activity practices, e.g. benefiting the dead, healing, wrathful, and weather controlling.
Dancinglion

Post by Dancinglion »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:This question has been on my mind a lot in the past couple of weeks. Just found this quote from "Machig's complete explanation" that quite aptly answers the question of wrathful practice.
Seeing as JinpaRangdrol already mentioned some instances of sparing with spirits I don't think it would be off topic to bring a martial view into this discussion. But I want to specify that I am speaking about "activity." That is to say both ones mental and physical actions, ones view and conduct, which to my understanding are meant to be resultant from ones sadhana practice.

"Wrathful" or hostile action towards spirits appears as a manifestation of arrogance and aggression in that one is clinging to a self that is to be defended at the cost of others. The same can be said of any human fist fight. However maintaining the knowledge of emptiness of self and others the warrior's vow to engage in hostilities... if and when the need arises... can be seen as an offering of life and limb. Thus from this perspective cutting through attachment to ones own body should be seen as the preliminary to any confrontation and should be done "without hesitation"; just as it is said that a bodhisattva should not hesitate to take or give a life for the benefit of living beings. Cutting through attachment to ones self all confrontation becomes the dancing of corpses, the endless play of energy in space and there is nothing to destroy or defend. With compassion towards ones opponents -- eg. the hostile spirits to be subdued-- generated from this view, one treats the the body of their opponent kindly, as if it were no different from ones own. Thus the intent is not to destroy the energy that is ones opponent, but to harness and direct it according to ones own will, as if it were ones own body-- which one has of course already offered up for the benefit of all living being.
This is my understanding of what is meant by taming, subduing and pacifying spirits and demons.
When one can see the two opposing bodies (the chodpa and the hostile spirits) moving as one, they are no longer opponents but partners dancing and playing together, embracing each other and locked in union.

For me wrathful practice is the simply cultivating the willingness to be a mirror to whatever ferocity approaches me. To growl, hoot, holler and make scary faces back at the things that go bump in the world of spirits, and to dance and wrestle with them without fear.

There is no need to expel spirits "wrathfully", but I see no reason not to roughhouse and play "wrathfully." :tongue:

Any thoughts?

JinpaRangdrol?

Return to “Chod”