Beautiful Gems-Jewelry

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
buddhaflower

Beautiful Gems-Jewelry

Post by buddhaflower »

Dear Members,

Are you jewelry lovers? Oh..I have some beautiful gem-jewelries to present to you:

Rhodolite Garnet

Rhodolite is a varietal name for rose-pink to red mineral pyrope, a species in the garnet group. It is found in Cowee Valley, Macon County, North Carolina.[2] The name is derived from the Greek for "rose-like", in common with many pink mineral types (e.g. rhodochrosite, rhodonite),.......Africa
------------------
Rubellite

The rubellite is a particularly beautiful gemstone from the colourful family of the tourmalines. Its colour shines in the most beautiful nuances from red to shocking pink.
However, only a few of these are entitled to call themselves 'rubellites'. The name comes from the Latin 'rubellus', which means reddish. Rubellites are not merely red or shocking pink tourmalines. There is an important criterion for this especially beautiful gemstone, and that is the way its colour behaves in daylight and artificial light.

Rubellites are cut in the most various ways, though the cutter must take account of the varying intensity of the colour. Rubellites are mainly found in Brazil, Madagascar, Mozambique, Nigeria and Pakistan. Some beautiful shocking pink rubellites come from a gemstone mine in the USA.

Rhodolite garnets look so enchanting in the sunlight, the color of flame red grapes will dazzle you .....Rubellites are more like Burmese rubies top grade..so bright/clear/sparkling red/shocking pink....love love them.

*****Buddhaflower :heart:
buddhaflower

Re: Beautiful Gems-Jewelry

Post by buddhaflower »

Peridot....August birthstone

Peridot is one of the few gemstones that occur in only one color, an olive green. The intensity and tint of the green, however, depends on how much iron is contained in the crystal structure, so the color of individual peridot gems can vary from yellow- to olive- to brownish-green. The most valued color is a dark olive-green.

Peridot olivine is mined in Egypt, North Carolina, Arizona on the San Carlos Reservation, Hawaii, Nevada, and New Mexico at Kilbourne Hole, in the US; and in Australia, Brazil, China, Kenya, Mexico, Myanmar (Burma), Norway, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, and Tanzania.

[edit] In meteorites

Peridot crystals have been collected from some Pallasite meteorites. A famous Pallasite was offered for auction in April 2008 with a requested price of close to $3 million at Bonhams, but remained unsold.

-------------
Citrine...November birthstone

Citrine is a variety of quartz whose color ranges from a pale yellow to brown. Natural citrines are rare; most commercial citrines are heat-treated amethysts or smoky quartzes. It is nearly impossible to tell cut citrine from yellow topaz visibly, but they differ in hardness. Citrine has ferric impurities, and is rarely found naturally. Brazil is the leading producer of citrine, with much of its production coming from the state of Rio Grande do Sul. The name is derived from Latin citrina which means "yellow" and is also the origin of the word "citron."

Sometimes citrine and amethyst can be found together in the same crystal, which is then referred to as ametrine. :thumbsup: :heart:

Citrine is one of three traditional birthstones for the month of November.

Buddhaflower :jumping: :heart:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

gems........pieces of shit.
shit..........gems.

They arise in the mind.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
buddhaflower

Post by buddhaflower »

Simon E. wrote:gems........pieces of shit.
shit..........gems.

They arise in the mind.
Dear Simon E,

If I ever posted anything to offend you in the past..please hate me but don't hate beautiful gems. Because GEMS/DIAMONDS are special things that only people who love you will give them to you.

Please hate me but....please forgive me!
Buddhaflower..practices 'Loving-Kindness'..but sometimes...slipped, stumbled and fell.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

You have not offended me in the least.
Gems are gems. Shit is shit. Shit is useful as manure. But really there is nothing to choose between them in Samsara.
Most people do not need reminding not to be attached to their shit.
Gems however ...that is a different story.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
buddhaflower

Post by buddhaflower »

Dear Members,

Praisiolite

Prasiolite, green-quartz or vermarine is a green form of quartz, a silicate mineral chemically silicon dioxide. Prasiolite is one of several quartz varieties. Since 1950, almost all natural prasiolite has come from a small Brazilian mine, but it is also seen in Lower Silesia in Poland. Naturally occurring prasiolite is also found in the Thunder Bay area of Canada.

-------------
Emerald

In the 1960s, the American jewelry industry changed the definition of 'emerald' to include the green vanadium-bearing beryl as emerald. As a result, vanadium emeralds purchased as emeralds in the United States are not recognized as such in the UK and Europe. In America, the distinction between traditional emeralds and the new vanadium kind is often reflected in the use of terms such as 'Colombian Emerald.'

Colombia is by far the worlds largest producer of emeralds, constituting 50-95% of the world production, with the number depending on the year, source and emeralds grade. Emerald production in Colombia has increased drastically in the last decade, increasing by 78% in 2010 compared to production in 2000.

The emerald deposits of Zambia in the Kafubu River (Kagem Mines),about 45 km southwest of Kitwe, produced around 20% of world production of gem quality emeralds in 2004, making the Kafubu area mines the second in world wide production after Colombia. In the first 6 months of 2011 Kagem mines produced 3.74 tons of emeralds. Zambian emeralds have very high quality, they are less porous and less brittle than Colombian emeralds, with more even color.

Emeralds are also found in other countries, such as Afghanistan, Australia, Austria, Brazil,Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, China, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Germany, India, Italy, Kazakhstan, Madagascar, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Tanzania, United States, Zambia and Zimbabwe. In the US, emeralds have been found in Connecticut, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina and South Carolina. In 1998 emeralds were discovered in the Yukon.

Buddhaflower :heart:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

buddhaflower wrote: Image
For me it is interesting to see how greed arises in my mind, when i think how it would be to possess such a jewelry. It is like an imprint in the brain. :crazy:
And also i have to think how many tibetean nuns i could provide for how long with the same amount of money.

I'm sorry, such jewelry is not just beautiful, but it is also useless trumpery. :tongue:
buddhaflower

Post by buddhaflower »

Ayu wrote:
buddhaflower wrote:
For me it is interesting to see how greed arises in my mind, when i think how it would be to possess such a jewelry. It is like an imprint in the brain. :crazy:
And also i have to think how many tibetean nuns i could provide for how long with the same amount of money.

I'm sorry, such jewelry is not just beautiful, but it is also useless trumpery. :tongue:
------------
Dear Ayu,

I truly admire your good heart....heart of gold is so very hard to find !!!!

Heart of gold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u925g6CgKuw

Love your :heart: of gold,
Buddhaflower :anjali:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

buddhaflower

Post by buddhaflower »

Dear Members,

Tourmaline

Tourmaline is classified as a semi-precious stone and the gemstone comes in a wide variety of colors. The name comes from the Sinhalese word "Thuramali" (තුරමලි) or "Thoramalli" (තෝරමල්ලි), which applied to different gemstones found in Sri Lanka, Brazil, USA

Red or pinkish-red—rubellite variety (from ruby)
Light blue to bluish green—Brazilian indicolite variety (from indigo)
Green—verdelite or Brazilian emerald variety

Brazilian untreated bi-color tourmaline Mined and cut in Brazil.

--------------------
Tanzanite

Tanzanite, named after Tanzania, its country of origin, was first discovered on July 7, 1967 by Manuel de Souza. Referred to by some as Mad Manuel, this colorful character was well known for his passion for trekking the African bush in search of the unknown, or even the unfindable, as he described his activities.

Manuel de Souza

Born in Goa in 1913, at the age of 20 de Souza moved to Tanganyika, where he qualified as a master tailor. An adventurer by nature, this trade quickly palled and he began his life as a prospector on the Lupa goldfields of western Tanganyika, moving on after post-War conditions made gold mining unprofitable to the Shinyanga diamond fields. This venture became unviable in the 1960s when a monopoly made diamond prospective licenses almost impossible to obtain, prompting Manuel to move to the Kilimanjaro area, where he continued to prospect around Lake Victoria, supplementing his income by tailoring.

Around the Easter weekend of 1967, what he describes as itchy feet drove him to hire a pickup truck to drop him in the bush in an area southeast of Arusha. Serendipitously, the driver refused to go further than the Masai village of Mtakuja; with no way to transport his gear any further, Manuel was forced to fossick for gems in that area instead.

Hiring 4 Masai tribesmen as his porters, he set off to explore and around noon on July 7th found a transparent blue stone which he first mistook for a sapphire. After testing its hardness, he immediately knew his find was not sapphire, but nonetheless took the stone back to Arusha with him where he tried to identify it by referring to a small volume on mineralogy which was his only reference.

Tanzanite Rough

The closest match he could find for his stone was olivine, and thus the first tanzanite claim was duly registered in his name on July 25, 1967 - only as an olivine claim.

It was not long before it was discovered that the gem was not olivine or peridot; likewise dumortierite, cordierite and zoisite were considered and rejected.

Eventually the gems were sent to the Gemological Institute of America which had the necessary equipment to accurately identify the stone as zoisite. At the around the same time, samples were identified at Harvard University, the British Museum, Heidelberg University, as well as a Tanzanian government geologist named Ian McCloud, who is credited with being the first to make the correct call.

The stones made handsome gems, and yet there was no established market for this material; the head of the jewelry department of Saks Department Store in New York declined to stock the stone. Finally, two rings which had been made out of the original find were shown to the vice-president of Tiffany & Co., who was so impressed by the beauty of the stone that he christened it tanzanite. And a new market was created.

Buddhaflower :heart:

Return to “Lounge”