rousing Bodhicitta

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
randomseb

Re: rousing Bodhicitta

Post by randomseb »

Stewart wrote:...

Thanks for that advice Yoda

You have a pre-established feeling towards someone, therefore whatever they do comes across as negative and wrong, but really it's your own mind causing an issue. This is what I meant. Standard buddhism :D

As for "inventing phrases", there is nothing wrong with translating a concept hard to describe into some terminology that makes sense to oneself.. We all do it all the time :shrug:

The trick is to keep breathing. :meditate:
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
muni

Post by muni »

To find one who likes everyone or every post is senseless work. Some like this post other like that one, one never can write in the way to be positive for all. And never there is a 'well meant' post, which is negative for all. That is emptiness teaching as was told. I like apples and no mangos you like mangos and no apples.
Phenomena aren't at all harming on themselves, but it is the percieving mind who forget no any phenomena is harming on itself. It is minds' reaction of irritation. Interdependency.

Are dialogues not usefull?

Judgement or compassion. All is ones own practice. Irritating ones are perfect teachers for practice Bodhichitta a teaching say ( tonglen). Yes of course easy said from here: :soapbox: it all goes smoothly, at least for me.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I think everyone comes off as preachy on these forums from time to time (I know I certainly have plenty of times). Hard to tell when we are really being arrogant, and when we are just letting our exuberance to help people get the best of us. Either way we should just chill out and forgive whatever minor nonsense we may or may not have pulled.

P.S. I am wise, learned, and in particular humble, so you should listen to me.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I think everyone comes off as preachy on these forums from time to time (I know I certainly have plenty of times). Hard to tell when we are really being arrogant, and when we are just letting our exuberance to help people get the best of us. Either way we should just chill out and forgive whatever minor nonsense we may or may not have pulled.

P.S. I am wise, learned, and in particular humble, so you should listen to me.
Maybe, but I'M humbler than everyone. :tongue:
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
randomseb

Post by randomseb »

If you're preachy and you know it clap your hands! :applause:

If you're preachy and you know it and really want to show it,

:namaste:
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Ramon1920 wrote:You probably mean the bodhicitta concerning others benefit and not the bodhicitta realizing emptiness.
If so, then the problem is you don't recognize the precarious situation you are in.
The incomplete relative bodhicitta is actually symptomatic of your not doing refuge properly.

Here, refuge must be replete with the feeling of renunciation of samsara by recognizing the faults and precariousness, with the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha being recognized as your refuge in this situation.

When you've taken refuge properly with renunciation generated, relative bodhicitta is as simple as recognizing there are others like you in the same situation, but they are far greater in number and their suffering much more, collectively. Here, the needs of others considered, they obviously take priority over your own.

Next you would apply yourself in generating the wisdom realizing emptiness, because that's the route to end that heap of suffering.
Agreed. To build on this: Lam Rims almost always teach renunciation before Bodhicitta. Especially in the Gelug. If the practitioner doesn't feel the suffering of Samara for himself, how can he desire to deliver others from Samsara?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Punya

Post by Punya »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I think everyone comes off as preachy on these forums from time to time (I know I certainly have plenty of times). Hard to tell when we are really being arrogant, and when we are just letting our exuberance to help people get the best of us. Either way we should just chill out and forgive whatever minor nonsense we may or may not have.
I agree.

In relation to your original question I like to add the Four immeasurables:

May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes
May all sentients beings be free from suffering from its causes
May be all sentients never be separated from bliss without suffering
May sentient beings be in equanimity, free from bias, attachment and anger.

(Or whatever translation you prefer).

When I'm reciting it I try to think of someone who's bugging me and genuinely wish them all of this.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:P.S. I am wise, learned, and in particular humble, so you should listen to me.
You might think so, but nobody around here comes close to me in terms of overall humility. And I say that in all humility. :thumbsup:

Actually that reminds me of an anecdote. An old rabbi was in the throes of his final illness. He was a famous and learned rabbi, with very many students. They all came and paid their respects and said what a great rabbi he had always been. After a while they all left, but his wife noticed he looked very downcast. 'Why so sorry?' she asked. 'They all said nice things about you.'

'Except my humility', he replied. 'Nobody mentioned my humility'.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Meditation”