What a Zen Master is, and what a Zen Master isn't.

seeker242

Re: What a Zen Master is, and what a Zen Master isn't.

Post by seeker242 »

Astus wrote:If we want to look for an ancient source that still has a clear explanation on the subject, it is Fayan Wenyi's "Ten Guidelines for Zen Schools" (宗門十規論) that was translated by Thomas Cleary in "The Five Houses of Zen" book. It describes the requirements of a teacher and how in his time most of the Zen communities and teachers fail to uphold the correct way.

His ten points (from Cleary's translation):
1. On false assumption of teacherhood without having cleared one's own mind ground
2. On factional sectarianism and failure to penetrate controversies
3. On teaching and preaching without knowing the bloodline
4. On giving answers without observing time and situation and not having the eye of the source
5. On discrepancy between principle and fact, and failure to distinguish defilement and purity
6. On subjective judgement of ancient and contemporary sayings without going through clarification
7. On memorizing slogans without being capable of subtle function meeting the needs of the time
8. On failure to master the scriptures and adducing proofs wrongly
9. On indulging in making up songs and verses without regard for meter and without having arrived at reality
10. On defending one's own shortcomings and indulging in contention
Thus, Fayan's criteria of a Zen teacher is that he should (1) be enlightened to the nature of mind, (2) don't attach to specific methods, (3) teach direct insight, (4) teach according to the situation, (5) clarify the two truths in teaching, (6) have appropriate training in the Dharma, (7) teach with insight and not just words, (8) know the scriptures, (9) don't write non-sense but clear and pleasant words, (10) don't disparage the Triple Jewels, the scriptures and the vehicles, and don't fail in upholding morality.
Nice list. :) Do you think that if a person meets all of the above criteria, they can then rightly be given dharma transmission and called a official "zen master"?
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

I thought it might be helpful to insert what Rev. Master Jiyu-Kennet
had to say on this subject regarding Training after Realization:
There are some people who are called "masters" who
think that once they have been named as a master, that is the
end of their training. In Sōtō Zen, if a master's fellow mas-
ters do not recognize the training beyond realization, they
will cease to use the title of "Master" for him or her. It is
very important not to become "tetchy" or oversensitive
once one has become a master, lest you project what is
going on within yourself onto other people. I have had
monks complain to me after a realization that they were suf-
fering from the feeling that people were spiritually "eating"
them or projecting their past life material upon them. If a
person is a true master this does not happen, simply because
he or she knows how to handle it. Yes, you may have mo-
ments of oversensitivity to the mental and spiritual states of
others now and again, but you know how what to do. You do not
complain, you do not blame others; instead you look within
and do your own training.

-Source: from the Roar of the Tigress, Volume II: Zen for Spiritual Adults.
In Chapter 14, "Training After Realization", from a lecture on Butsu
Kōjō Ji
, "The Experiencing
of That Which is Above and Beyond Buddhahood."
(a chapter of Dogen's Shobogenzo)
2005, Jiyu Kennett, and Order of Buddhist Contemplatives,
Mt. Shasta, California. Shasta Abbey Press
The whole book is downloadable here:
http://www.shastaabbey.org/pdf/bookRoar2.pdf

Sara
Observing your mind is a good idea.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Sara,

What you describe as kensho, that is the initial certainty arising about the Dharma, and that is the level of Faith. It is important, very much. But the first bhumi, as you could see, is a lot more than that, where such external issues that you describe are not problems and internally it is a lot more peaceful and free.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

seeker242 wrote:Nice list. :) Do you think that if a person meets all of the above criteria, they can then rightly be given dharma transmission and called a official "zen master"?
There is no mention of any transmission. It is a guideline for those who are or plan to be teachers. There is no such thing as "official Zen master" in Buddhism, only in specific organisations. That is, if you set up a Buddhist community, you can create such a title, and that will be official there, but not necessarily for others.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

(To Astus)
Well,

I'm just going to use the term kensho then.

That will keep it simple because that's what we're talking about here.

How it compares, straight across to other Buddhist terms, I'm not entirely sure, and I don't want to add confusion here, so let's just keep it at that.

I'd rather that, than more confusion.

Sara
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Kensho can mean so many things that, as I see it, it requires a definition if we are to understand each other. Now that we have it, it is quite easy to see what you mean when you say that Zen teachers are ordinary people.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Well, one of the problems Astus (I'm in agreement with you about how terms can mean different things), is that the term "enlightenment" can mean so many different things.

It's one of the biggest problems in western Buddhism, and why many Zen teachers are drawing away from the term. It's confusing to people.

Especially with all the new-age people using the term, many people have no idea what it means, and in what context.

Sara
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

To avoid such confusion there are quite elaborate descriptions and terms in Buddhism. The problem can be is that Zen is generally viewed as the path of sudden enlightenment. Now that is resolved by teachers like Zongmi and Jinul who established the system of sudden enlightenment and gradual practice, but that is not used in Japanese Zen and so Western heirs of that tradition have this trouble of not being clear about the nature of enlightenment and the actual stages. Since apparently very few Zen master teach actual sudden liberation there is a great need for a proper description of the gradual process, something that is readily found in Mahayana.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Astus wrote:To avoid such confusion there are quite elaborate descriptions and terms in Buddhism. The problem can be is that Zen is generally viewed as the path of sudden enlightenment. Now that is resolved by teachers like Zongmi and Jinul who established the system of sudden enlightenment and gradual practice, but that is not used in Japanese Zen and so Western heirs of that tradition have this trouble of not being clear about the nature of enlightenment and the actual stages. Since apparently very few Zen master teach actual sudden liberation there is a great need for a proper description of the gradual process, something that is readily found in Mahayana.
Well, the term "sudden enlightenment" is actually sortof a nickname term for the Rinzai system.

I'm not a Rinzai practitioner.

The corresponding nickname for Soto is "gradual".

Traditionally in Japan, people referred to the two schools as the "sudden" and "gradual" schools respectively.

It's a misnomer, but it is quick way to refer to the methods that in Rinzai they use a koan book with 300 or so koans that they give to everybody, to try and force kensho to the surface,

And in Soto, the method is generally to just let people sit and let it arise naturally (though a Soto Master will occasionally use a koan if and when they feel it's necessary),

But you know, I mean if you're Japanese, and Zen has been there for hundreds of years, it's an easy, highly overly-simplified way to refer to the distinguishing differences in a casual conversation.

Sara
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Sara,

What kind of Soto Zen do you mean to be gradual? Shikantaza is enlightenment from the very beginning and there is nothing to improve about it. On the other hand, in Hakuin's system people go through several stages in practice and they recognise various levels of attainment. Of the two it is in fact Rinzai that is gradual.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Sara H wrote:Well, one of the problems...is that the term "enlightenment" can mean so many different things. It's one of the biggest problems in western Buddhism, and why many Zen teachers are drawing away from the term. It's confusing to people. Especially with all the new-age people using the term, many people have no idea what it means, and in what context.
I don't think the Buddha ever talked about enlightenment anyway.
He talked about the cessation of suffering
Zen talks about realization of the true nature of mind,
which is the essence of the cessation of suffering.

I think this is part of the confusion about
What a Zen Master is, and what a Zen Master isn't.
But he might tell you that,
if you are still dwelling in the dualism of IS and ISN'T
you haven't got realization.

"Enlightenment" means that the light goes on, doesn't it?
Like a cartoon picture, the tiny light bulb floating over the head starts to glow.
So we are not in darkness any more.
But Zen teaches to go beyond the concepts light and dark,
beyond any conceptual grasping of realization and ignorance,
and just let the mind see awareness itself, directly.

This is where the word "enlightenment" fails in meaning,
and if we apply that failed understanding to teachers,
all sorts of trouble starts.

EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It can take an apple 5 or 6 months to go from a tree blossom to a ripe apple.
Then, all at once, in a split second, it just falls off the branch.
is that gradual, or sudden?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

One of the aspects of this conversation that has begun to bother me is the fact that a tradition that centuries ago declared itself to be one "outside words and letters" is now being redefined as one beholden to even older words and definitions.

By the time zen (ie the meditation school) arrived in China, wise ones saw that the human beings practicing Buddhism were devolving into those who needed to cling to words and definitions. Those wise ones practicing in the meditation school (aka "Zen") felt very much the living quality of meditation practice. I would like to say the "here and now" quality of meditation but dislike the phrase and so I won't.

Sara, dont let yourself be back into the corner of definitions. Zen is an experiential school and unless you have actually practiced it, you will never understand it. Definitions notwithstanding.

:shrug:

My two cents.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

MalaBeads,

You define Zen as "outside words and letters" and "an experiential school" and then say how erroneous it is to define Zen. What do you mean?
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

:shrug:
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
shel

Post by shel »

MalaBeads wrote:Sara, dont let yourself be back into the corner of definitions.
:tongue: I wouldn't worry about that. For Sara, a Zen master can be anything from someone with a "glimpse of Buddha nature" to a Buddha. They may or may not be freed from greed, anger, and hate.

The only wider definition than that would be to say that everyone (in meaningful attributes) is a Zen master, oddly.
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

shel wrote:
:tongue: I wouldn't worry about that. For Sara, a Zen master can be anything from someone with a "glimpse of Buddha nature" to a Buddha. They may or may not be freed from greed, anger, and hate.

The only wider definition than that would be to say that everyone (in meaningful attributes) is a Zen master, oddly.
Nope. A "Zen Master" in the modern sense must be a priest, of the Zen tradition; have had a confirmed kensho; and received Dharma Transmission.

That does not include "everyone".

The definition is narrow in scope to those who meet that criteria.

Sara
shel

Post by shel »

Sara H wrote:
shel wrote:

Nope. A "Zen Master" in the modern sense must be a priest, of the Zen tradition; have had a confirmed kensho; and received Dharma Transmission.

That does not include "everyone".

The definition is narrow in scope to those who meet that criteria.

Sara
Hi Sara,

I clearly wrote "in meaningful attributes." Meaningful attributes in terms of religion are things like compassion, wisdom, and moral conduct. Just about anyone off the street may possess such attributes in sufficient quantity of what you say Zen mastery requires. You appear to be correct in this definition, because there are Zen masters who make dubious moral choices, and hand in hand with that, have an apparent lack of wisdom and compassion.
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

shel wrote:Sara, dont let yourself be back into the corner of definitions.

The only wider definition than that would be to say that everyone (in meaningful attributes) is a Zen master, oddly.[/quote]
shel wrote: Hi Sara,

I clearly wrote "in meaningful attributes." Meaningful attributes in terms of religion are things like compassion, wisdom, and moral conduct. Just about anyone off the street may possess such attributes in sufficient quantity of what you say Zen mastery requires. You appear to be correct in this definition, because there are Zen masters who make dubious moral choices, and hand in hand with that, have an apparent lack of wisdom and compassion.
Right, but it still wouldn't be accurate, because everyone is still not a Zen Master as it is a narrowly defined, specific term, not a general "phrase".

That would be like saying "some Zen Master's eat apples" and so "everyone (in meaningful attributes) is a Zen master" because everyone may eat apples.

Lol.

Sara
shel

Post by shel »

Sara H wrote:
shel wrote: Hi Sara,

Right, but it still wouldn't be accurate, because everyone is still not a Zen Master as it is a narrowly defined, specific term, not a general "phrase".
Again, I'm not talking about the mere definition as you are, I'm talking about meaningful attributes. Words and descriptions are nothing without the meaning behind them, which is exactly what this topic is really about. :emb:
That would be like saying "some Zen Master's eat apples" and so "everyone (in meaningful attributes) is a Zen master" because everyone may eat apples.
More meaningfully in regard to religion and diet, it would be like pointing out the fact that some Zen masters drink. It is well known that Taizan Maezumi Roshi was an alcoholic, even going so far as rehab, if not death. The other day I read a post from a Zen Master who wrote about his habitual drinking (http://www.zenforuminternational.org/vi ... er#p143017), and he chairs the Membership Committee of the American Zen Teachers Association and serves on the Priest Training Committee of the Soto Zen Teachers Association. There are no restrictions against eating meat, free range or otherwise. Also, many Western Zen masters are overweight, suggesting poor dietary habits or gluttony.

So in terms of dietary consumption, there is no meaningful difference between the Wester Zen master and anyone else, regardless of vows. Indeed I've never taken any Buddhist vows but still drink less alcohol than some Zen masters. :cheers:

Perhaps in Western Zen vows against intoxicants and the like are seen as merely empty 'phrases'?

Return to “Zen”