Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

oldbob

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by oldbob »

:good: :good: :good: :group:

All great posts.

Nice to see this thread come alive, facing some of the issues of the DC.

Everyone describes the elephant from their point of view, like the blind wise men in the story, depending on what parts they touched.

I think that transmission depends on faith and devotion: the a-tuning of the student to the Teacher.

Please note the point about Ven. Jigme Lingpa's transmission / permissions from the omniscient Ven. Longchenpa.

So if with tears in the eyes, and your arm hairs standing straight up (2 signs of heart devotion) if you ask ChNNR for transmission / permission at ANY time - perhaps you will get it.

This has nothing to do with what his physical body, in this incarnation, is doing at the time. This is my piece of the elephant.

I have also been standing 1 meter from Rinpoche when someone asked him, "Can you get lung transmission from a recording?"

Rinpoche paused a moment and then said, "Yes, it is all sound," and then rolled his eyes up. This occurred at Tseygyalgar, on the upper land, many years ago. There were several witnesses.

Maybe he has since changed his mind.

Perhaps there are several personalities, in play, who teach different things at different times, just to keep things interesting. :smile: :woohoo: :smile:

Yes, I am back in the States, having survived 2 months in Margarita. You don't want to know, but I may address the issues in a separate thread.

ob
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned already on this thread, but

SSI ITALY JUST WENT TO SUGGESTED DONATION FOR ALL BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... t_list&c=4

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!!!

Go for it now, before this goes away. Pay what you can afford and get the collection.

DO the practices and get the benefit.

Hooray for CHNNR and the hard working folks at SSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who says no one reads DW???

:heart: :heart: :heart:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Spoke too soon. (In the voice of WC Fields.)

Called up Carla at SSI.

They meant to say "Suggested minimum contribution."

Oh Well. It was a nice thought while it lasted.

Maybe someday.

Back to the zafu, my little chik-a-dee.

"Better here than Philadelphia" (Written on WC's tomb stone.) :smile:

ob
Pero

Post by Pero »

oldbob wrote:Spoke too soon. (In the voice of WC Fields.)

Called up Carla at SSI.

Sorry but LOL!
I have also been standing 1 meter from Rinpoche when someone asked him, "Can you get lung transmission from a recording?"

Rinpoche paused a moment and then said, "Yes, it is all sound," and then rolled his eyes up. This occurred at Tseygyalgar, on the upper land, many years ago. There were several witnesses.
This gave me pause and now I think that when I said that he says you can't get it from a recording he might have been talking about direct introduction only.

However...
Please note the point about Ven. Jigme Lingpa's transmission / permissions from the omniscient Ven. Longchenpa.
I find this argument a little silly and I have seen it used quite a bit. If you are like Jigmed Lingpa good for you, but I am not and I'm pretty sure most others aren't either.
Jikan wrote:Well, if you listen carefully, you'll hear that ChNN encourages students to practice ngondro as appropriate, as it is useful to them; his Longsal cycle includes a ngondro. (I've practiced it.)
Sure but that one is not the regular ngondro (although it includes it).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Pero wrote:

This gave me pause and now I think that when I said that he says you can't get it from a recording he might have been talking about direct introduction only.
How many times have we heard Rinpoche say that he is "giving the lung again" because someone wrote him an email and requested the lung because they missed it when he gave it the first time. Time after time, so many webcasts he has done this. He didn't say "I gave the lung yesterday, and for those that missed, get it from the replay".

:shrug:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Called up Carla at SSI.

What is the difference?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

:namaste:

SSI mentioned that Longsal 9 is in stock, and available on the SSI site. If you are on their list for the attendees of the Yangtig Teaching in Tenerife, then you register with SSI using a special password code, that they give you and the Longsal 9 then appears in the list of books for sale. Adriano had mentioned to me that the Longsal 9 was available when I first went to Margarita, 2 months ago. It took them two months to get the book added to the site. I guess they are very busy.

26 Euros, with shipping, to the States. There will be no stocking of the Longsal 9, in the US, because the list of approved recipiants is maintained at SSI Italy.

I can afford it. Perhaps many people cannot afford the constant barrage of expensive, very interesting and tempting, new books / cds / dvds. When I asked about the new way of listing all prices as a "suggested donation", I was told that this was necessary because their SSI accountant told them that, because they are registered as a non-profit organization, they are not allowed to sell things at a fixed price.

Perhaps stating that books are available for a suggested donation is a cruel misrepresentation to a lot of poor people who may be misled to thinking that can now offer what they can afford. This is the common meaning of "suggested donation" in English.

What is wrong with this picture?

:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

There must be a better way!

ob
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

T. Chokyi wrote:
Pero wrote:

How many times have we heard Rinpoche say that he is "giving the lung again" because someone wrote him an email and requested the lung because they missed it when he gave it the first time. Time after time, so many webcasts he has done this. He didn't say "I gave the lung yesterday, and for those that missed, get it from the replay".

Who is going to give the lungs when Rinpoche is not able to?

Perhaps Rinpoche is just being kind to those people who missed the "live" transmission, and want to feel included, or perhaps it is a recognition (for those who don't have the technical capacity to convert to MP3), that trying to get any useful information from the replays is a difficult experience, at best, with your having to go back to the beginning, and start over, if there is any drop out of the data stream, or if you want to study (listen to) something again. Why can't the replays be released in MP3 format?

There has got to be a better way.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

oldbob wrote: Perhaps Rinpoche is just being kind to those people who missed the "live" transmission, and want to feel included, or perhaps it is a recognition (for those who don't have the technical capacity to convert to MP3), that trying to get any useful information from the replays is a difficult experience, at best, with your having to go back to the beginning, and start over, if there is any drop out of the data stream, or if you want to study (listen to) something again. Why can't the replays be released in MP3 format?
Perhaps this, perhaps that....
The fact is that ChNN Rinpoche says that only listening to live webcasts is considered to be transmission from him.
Take it or leave it....
As for the replays, they are in mp3 format! However what you are downloading is not the mp3 file itself, but a m3u file which serves for retrieving the real mp3 audio file from the playlist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
This is done obviously for copyright reasons. Take it or leave it, too.... :consoling:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Dronma wrote:
oldbob wrote: Perhaps Rinpoche is just being kind to those people who missed the "live" transmission, and want to feel included, or perhaps it is a recognition (for those who don't have the technical capacity to convert to MP3), that trying to get any useful information from the replays is a difficult experience, at best, with your having to go back to the beginning, and start over, if there is any drop out of the data stream, or if you want to study (listen to) something again. Why can't the replays be released in MP3 format?
Perhaps this, perhaps that....
The fact is that ChNN Rinpoche says that only listening to live webcasts is considered to be transmission from him.
Take it or leave it....
As for the replays, they are in mp3 format! However what you are downloading is not the mp3 file itself, but a m3u file which serves for retrieving the real mp3 audio file from the playlist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
This is done obviously for copyright reasons. Take it or leave it, too.... :consoling:
Hi Dronma,

Yesterday I wrote:

"I have also been standing 1 meter from Rinpoche when someone asked him, "Can you get lung transmission from a recording?"

Maybe he has since changed his mind. "

I started and then ran the audio /video libraries at Merigar and Tseygyalgar for the first 10 years from 1982 to 1992. Anyone who was sincerely interested in having access to the teachings was able to do so. All this changed in the early 90s as Rinpoche became more under the influence of his Western disciples, and things became more locked down.

The fact that the DC releases the replays in M3U files rather than directly in MP3s just means that poor people and the computer challenged, who cannot afford to buy the MP3s from SSI, or do not know how to convert the M3Us, or record the material in an audio capture program, just have a harder time of it. This is indicative of, and a product of, the mind set of the Westerners who advised Rinpoche, and has no precedent or basis in Samaya or Dharma.

Perhaps this, perhaps that and take it or leave it are your /your construction and framing of the situation. Good luck. :smile:

ob
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

An email has been sent by the staff team to SSI asking them to inform us regarding the legality of downloading/recording teachings, until we receive a reply please refrain from posting technical "how to..." information in public threads.

Thank you.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
muni

Post by muni »

Where is time existing 'out of thoughts'?
Is in open devotion a grasped thought?

ps. Don't harm, don't harm, don't harm and we should not cling/grasp to the created law of the dreamworld so that awakening cannot happen.

:group:

No boundaries, no my space/no your space:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOsQa7sf6FE

muni

Post by muni »

wisdom wrote: we can also do it from books as well.

"We are so fascinated by our senses". Dzogchen master: "The problem with those books is that it makes sound very high and very fantastic. And so we are looking out there".

I am sure Namkhay Norbu Rinpoche La allows me to share this:

Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo, simple nun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwh5_I4HdnA

Respectfully, :namaste:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

muni wrote:
wisdom wrote: we can also do it from books as well.

"We are so fascinated by our senses". Dzogchen master: "The problem with those books is that it makes sound very high and very fantastic. And so we are looking out there".

I am sure Namkhay Norbu Rinpoche La allows me to share this:

:good:

Muni / Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo speak to / from the heart of the matter.

:heart:
heart

Post by heart »

muni wrote:

Very nice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

I've been thinking... how about the DC learning how to use Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/

It might be of use in book publishing. It would certainly be of great use in retreat organisation. Hell, it could even be used in lieu of the current membership payments (though here things seem to be working relatively OK).

Any thoughts?
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

http://www.indiegogo.com/

or indiegogo, which might be more suitable to not-for-profit orgs.
Pero

Post by Pero »

T. Chokyi wrote:
Pero wrote:

Maybe because not everyone can listen to replays haha. In any case, I'll be proceeding as before but I think when in doubt it's best to just ask Rinpoche.
oldbob wrote: Perhaps Rinpoche is just being kind to those people who missed the "live" transmission, and want to feel included, or perhaps it is a recognition (for those who don't have the technical capacity to convert to MP3), that trying to get any useful information from the replays is a difficult experience, at best, with your having to go back to the beginning, and start over, if there is any drop out of the data stream, or if you want to study (listen to) something again.
You can avoid this problem if you use Windows Media Player (and probably some others I guess). You just have to wait a bit first.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Pero wrote:
T. Chokyi wrote:

Pero wrote: Maybe because not everyone can listen to replays haha. In any case, I'll be proceeding as before but I think when in doubt it's best to just ask Rinpoche.
I'm glad you are proceeding as before... this is a good idea, and of course Rinpoche has the answer, but when you ask the question it is important how you word it. I hope some of my brothers and sisters of The Vajra can benefit from Rinpoche's very clear reply:

4/9/2013 10:39:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time

Dear Rinpoche,

I hope you are in excellent health.
I have a question that I thought I knew the answer to, but now I have a doubt.

When all the practitioners listen to the webcast and you are on live and giving Lung for practices
this is the time we get that lungs, the transmission, this is what I understood, is this correct, or
is it possible to get the lung from the replays?

I am not asking this question for just for myself, there are students of yours I practice with who have been
with you longer than myself that say to me you can get the lung from the replay, I want to know from
you, are they getting it from the replay and I am not getting it or is it your intention that
we are in the same space and time when you are on live and then we are receiving your transmission.

I appreciate your guidance Rinpoche, I want no confusion on any of your teachings.

Thankyou, Blessings for your good health,
T. Chokyi

Answer from Rinpoche:

4/10/2013 10:19:49 A.M.

Dear T. Chokyi,

You can't the lung from replay.

The principle of receiving transmission works because Master and students are on the same moment on the same state.

Ciao ciao!!! NN.
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

T. Chokyi wrote:Dear T. Chokyi,

You can't the lung from replay.

The principle of receiving transmission works because Master and students are on the same moment on the same state.

Ciao ciao!!! NN.
thankyou T.Chokyi

Return to “Dzogchen”