Prostrations - Muscle Groups

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
philji

Re: Prostrations - Muscle Groups

Post by philji »

Is prostrations the new power yoga????? Are we trying to develop our six packs or purifying our negativities and clinging to a self ????
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

philji wrote:Is prostrations the new power yoga????? Are we trying to develop our six packs or purifying our negativities and clinging to a self ????
Dunno, do they help self righteousness too?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
philji

Post by philji »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
philji wrote:Is prostrations the new power yoga????? Are we trying to develop our six packs or purifying our negativities and clinging to a self ????
Dunno, do they help self righteousness too?
I don't know Johnny why do you ask?
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

In his Ngöndro commentary Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche says something to the effect of, that in these dark times he thinks anything that brings people to practice is a good thing and that if we do prostrations also for fitness we at least should every twenty prostrations or so raise our motivation " I am doing this for the Buddhahood of all beings". Also he says if we do 150 prostrtions a day we dont need the Gym anymore. I think this part you can also find in "Not for Happiness"
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Yeah, I don't think that anyone hre is interested in them for primarily physical purposes anyway, personally I have a whole other part of my life in terms of physical exercise. It's just interesting to talk about the physical benefits as well, and there is nothing wrong with doing so IMO.

That said, it's a good point that sometimes mundane things can lead us to something better.

-Khunu Lama
philji

Post by philji »

Thanks Dondrub for that quote. It's helped me understand and appreciate...
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Always reset your motivation, however, before you begin. Realize it will be tainted by the desire for washboard abs, :tongue: but have the correct aspiration at least.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Gonna suggest that maybe there is a bit of sanctimony on the part of people making assumptions based on a thread like this..

Sometimes it seems we can't talk about anything on here without someone worrying if we are Buddhist enough, don't worry, i'm onto my motivations.

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

What? You mean having a six pack is not Buddhist?

But what of the mantra: Om ab crunch Hum? Are you saying it didn't originate straight from the mouth of Shakyamuni Buddha himself, during his aesthetic practices phase?
maitreya seated six pack.jpg
maitreya seated six pack.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 15795 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Sorry. I get nattering-mom-syndrome sometimes.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

"Buddha Body in Just Ten Minutes A Day, Learn To Meditate For Inner Peace and Fun!!"

-Coming soon to a Yoga studio near you.

http://www.buddhabodyoga.com/

After writing the post in jest, I Googled it and it really exists.

It doesn't look like a bad program or anything, but the appropriation of Buddhist imagery for stuff like this always cracks me up, can you imagine a program like "get a Jesus body", "sweat with Moses"...wait i'm sure those exist too.

Anyway, clearly the following article by Henry Rollins is not Buddhist, but I think it's a good example of using exercise in a way that's at least...honest and for something beyond physical well being:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2009/12/04 ... y-rollins/

I know plenty will find something to pick apart there from a Buddhist perspective, but there is alot to appreciate. IMO for anyone wishing to train their mind neglecting physical work, or excluding it as less important does not make sense. For me personally, lack of exercise is directly related to lack of clarity, in formal meditation and otherwise.

-Khunu Lama
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

Henry Rollins should be Buddhist. He would be a good Kagyupa :rolleye:
mandala

Post by mandala »

I can just see it on late night infomercials "the Buddha power crunch" machine, utilizing the ancient mystical techniques for a six-pack...

urrgghh... reminds me of something else i saw lately, for real.. a business called 'Karmic Mastermind" that claims:
When we discovered “Karmic Management”, the ancient Tibetan Buddhist wisdom path for creating sustainable success, we both connected with it deeply and began quickly realizing its enormous potential.

If you’re looking for a way in which to step more fully into your purpose, make a bigger impact, and create the kind of success that is both prosperous and soul-satisfying, then we invite you to take the Karmic Mastermind journey and discover the rich rewards it has to offer to you, your business, and your life
mm hmm. Get rich quick, the Buddhist way! No prizes for guessing they are connected to Geshe Michael Roach & Christie McNally.

:toilet:
Kris

Post by Kris »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:...i'd venture a guess that some might say it's too heavy on flexion with out enough extension to balance it, ...
Not necessarily. If, after lying out flat and stretching your hands, you then bring in your arms and push off the floor (in order to start getting up) your body will go into the cobra/snake asana:
snake-cobra asana.jpg
That's your extension. You can then pull back into cat asana for even more extension:
cat asana.jpg
Before moving on to stand up.

As for "smashing your knees", actually, properly executed, the knees do not take any weight (or impact on the floor) when you descend, all the weight is on your hands/arms.
Sorry for ressurecting the thread ;)

But I did want to thank you for this post. It's very useful.
Since learning of the benefits of prostrations, I've grown to really appreciate them as a form of yoga.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

If you do 100,000 prostrations incorrectly is that called Nwrongdro?

Have to agree with above post, prostrations are a kind of yoga in constant flowing motion. If there is no thumping of bumping to be heard, yer probly doin' er right. If the cat panics and vanishes under the bed, your technique needs work. If the USGS shows up with seismometers, you need a teacher right now.

btw Thubten Chodron did a couple of videos on prostrations that contain about everything most people would ever need to know.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Sennin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:37 am
Grigoris wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:...i'd venture a guess that some might say it's too heavy on flexion with out enough extension to balance it, ...
Not necessarily. If, after lying out flat and stretching your hands, you then bring in your arms and push off the floor (in order to start getting up) your body will go into the cobra/snake asana:
snake-cobra asana.jpg
That's your extension. You can then pull back into cat asana for even more extension:
cat asana.jpg

As for "smashing your knees", actually, properly executed, the knees do not take any weight (or impact on the floor) when you descend, all the weight is on your hands/arms.

Since learning of the benefits of prostrations, I've grown to really appreciate them as a form of yoga.
Did you notice some physical improvement?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Kris

Post by Kris »

Miroku wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:03 pm
Sennin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:37 am
Grigoris wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 pm Not necessarily. If, after lying out flat and stretching your hands, you then bring in your arms and push off the floor (in order to start getting up) your body will go into the cobra/snake asana:
snake-cobra asana.jpg
cat asana.jpg

Did you notice some physical improvement?
Yeah.
It definitely is a good exercise :thumbsup:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Alternative Health”