Introductory Books on Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Punya

Introductory Books on Buddhism

Post by Punya »

While advice is offered to individual newcomers from time to time, I haven't seen a recent easily searchable DW thread that discusses introductory books across all the buddhist traditions so I thought I'd start one here.

I suggest each post contains only one or two books so a number of us can participate and that you say which tradition the book belongs to and briefly why you think it's good/helpful.

If someone suggests a book by a controversial buddhist figure by all means point this out but maybe attach a link to another thread rather than cluttering up this one.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Monsoon

Re: Introductory Books on Buddhism

Post by Monsoon »

May I also suggest that when you have a reasonable number of book titles you compile them in the first post on this thread. That would save people from having to necessarily search through a potentially long thread. Or possibly, if enough suggestions arise to create a new Sticky. I have seen this done on other fora and it does work quite well. Just a thought.
Let peace reign!

Metta,

Monsoon
Motova

Post by Motova »

The Four Noble Truths: The Foundation of Buddhist Thought

By: Geshe Tashi Tsering
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Motova wrote:The Four Noble Truths: The Foundation of Buddhist Thought

By: Geshe Tashi Tsering
Seconded.

accesstoinsight.org is a great Theravada site. Any book by the Dalai Lama is good.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Depending on one's inclinations:

The Heart of The Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh

or

Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
lobster

Post by lobster »

is 'dharma for dummies' out yet?
http://explorations.chasrmartin.com/wor ... r-dummies/

Do you have access to e-books, library or bookstore/amazon?

I get all my dharma from the interweb. :namaste:
Punya

Post by Punya »

Thanks for the thought Monsoon. Lets see how we go. We could start another thread for online resources Lobster but I take your point.

It's hard to pick and I guess it depends on the student but my two books are The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche (Nyingma) and What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula (Theravada but highly recommended by two of my Tibetan teachers).
~Chatral Rinpoche
lobster

Post by lobster »

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche (Nyingma) and What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula (Theravada but highly recommended by two of my Tibetan teachers).
Excellent choice. :twothumbsup:
Here is one of them as a PDF
http://www.dhammaweb.net/books/Dr_Walpo ... Taught.pdf
I would always recommend intro/dummies/series based books because they are very difficult to write and are written by accomplished, skilled and commissioned writers. I try not to kill bits of trees as they are some of my favourite conversationalists . . . hence the interweb and ebook reference . . .
:reading:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I'll tell you one book to NOT recommend: Milarepa. That set me back decades in my practice. Tibetans find the book inspiring and heroic. I find it alarming--and I'm a Kagyu! For that matter keep Naropa and Tilopa out of sight too!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

smcj wrote:I'll tell you one book to NOT recommend: Milarepa. That set me back decades in my practice. Tibetans find the book inspiring and heroic. I find it alarming--and I'm a Kagyu! For that matter keep Naropa and Tilopa out of sight too!
Milarepa's story seems to have been greatly exaggerated. The truth was probably a lot tamer.

Gampopa's story is a good one. I think it's on Berzin's site.

EDIT

Yeah here it is: http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... ry=gampopa
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

"What the Buddha Taught" is excellent.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Punya

Post by Punya »

smcj wrote:I'll tell you one book to NOT recommend: Milarepa. That set me back decades in my practice. Tibetans find the book inspiring and heroic. I find it alarming--and I'm a Kagyu! For that matter keep Naropa and Tilopa out of sight too!
Interesting, I love those books (and the movie of Milarepa)! Their devotion to their teachers is endless. But you're right, probably not the place for a beginner to start.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

The first book I read was "Awakenimg the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das.

I also agree What the Buddhs Taught is a great book as well
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I do recall a thread on this a while back....can anyone remember the name or help locate it?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

One great introductory book is Chagdud Tulku's "Gates of Buddhist Practice" Image

Another good one is "Opening to Our Primordial Nature" by Kenchen Palden Sherab and Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Image

I haven't found the thread I was thinking of, it may have been way back on Esangha.. but alternatively here is a related thread that could be useful:

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5266
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Punya

Post by Punya »

Awakening the Buddha Within was the first serious buddhist book I read too Dave. I don't know your choices Adamantine but they look interesting. I bought CR's biography recently but haven't read it yet.

Catmoon's choices in the "must have" thread are suitable for beginners. Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is still a favourite. Unfortunately I haven't made quite the same effort to put HHDL's advice into practice. :emb:
~Chatral Rinpoche
Michael_Dorfman

Post by Michael_Dorfman »

My standard recommendations for general introductions to Buddhism are Rupert Gethin's The Foundations of Buddhism, and Peter Harvey's An Introduction to Buddhism.
dyanaprajna2011

Post by dyanaprajna2011 »

I'm going to second Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. There's another book I've found useful, and not only as a beginner's guide, but something I go back to from time to time. It's called Buddhist Inspirations: Essential Philosophy, Truth, and Enlightenment, by Tom Lowenstein.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Bud ... Sd6XoPk64C

As far as Zen specific books go, Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is a good one, as well as the Three Pillars of Zen.
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
Arjan Dirkse

Post by Arjan Dirkse »

In the Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi is a great introduction to the Pali Canon, giving vital information on Gotama's life, the beginning of Buddhism and many of the basic concepts. It is officially Theravada, but 99 % of it is true for Mahayana as well.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Milarepa's story seems to have been greatly exaggerated. The truth was probably a lot tamer.
Perhaps, but present day Tibetans take it quite seriously. The previous Kalu R. spent many years on retreat in Himalayan caves trying to emulate him. HHDL says the story still brings tears to his eyes. Plus there's the precedents of the Tilopa & Naropa stories--a VERY bad first impression!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”