Nyingma / Buddhist Funeral in the West?

Yeti

Nyingma / Buddhist Funeral in the West?

Post by Yeti »

Hi,

Just wondering what would be the standard short prayers etc for a western Nyingma / Buddhist funeral (cremation) in the west, where there is no lama in attendance?

Just looking for short essential prayers.

Thanks
Geoff
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
udawa

Re: Nyingma / Buddhist Funeral in the West?

Post by udawa »

Yeti wrote:Hi,

Just wondering what would be the standard short prayers etc for a western Nyingma / Buddhist funeral (cremation) in the west, where there is no lama in attendance?

Just looking for short essential prayers.

Thanks
Geoff
This recent book by Martin Boord might be of interest http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=24973

Otherwise, why not use whatever texts you (or better still, the deceased) find inspiring? And you can't go wrong with the 7 Lines.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

udawa wrote:Otherwise, why not use whatever texts you (or better still, the deceased) find inspiring? And you can't go wrong with the 7 Lines.
Yes, I was thinking along those lines :namaste:
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche composed a short funeral service for cremation. It's excellent. You can try receiving it from any Dudjom Tersar Teacher.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

pemachophel wrote:H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche composed a short funeral service for cremation. It's excellent. You can try receiving it from any Dudjom Tersar Teacher.

:namaste:
Thanks very much for that :namaste:

Return to “Nyingma”