Anger

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Gyaltsen Tashi

Anger

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

Are there anger management techniques specific to Vajrayana?

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: Anger

Post by Adamantine »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:Are there anger management techniques specific to Vajrayana?

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Yes.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
shel

Post by shel »

I could be mistaken of course, but I believe Gyaltsen Tashi may want to know what those techniques are and just if they exist.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

shel wrote:I could be mistaken of course, but I believe Gyaltsen Tashi may want to know what those techniques are and just if they exist.
Hi shel, it's not really appropriate for me to give vajrayana teachings, that's for a qualified Lama to do, and usually not over the internet. Anyway, the question was if there were such techniques. If you want to give a different answer than I did, you are more than welcome.
shel

Post by shel »

I see. And thanks for the multi-syllable answer this time around. I trust it did not breach any significant social codes.
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:Are there anger management techniques specific to Vajrayana?
Yes. Generally, sadhana practices are supposed to deal with all unskillful mental states, including anger. Wrathful deities are said to be particularly good for dealing with anger and one often hears stories of some angry person going into Mahakala, Vajrakila or Dorje Drollo retreat and coming out completely calm, with no more bad temper or aggression. (I've heard this story about all three of the above mentioned deities.)
A famous line contained in many Vajrakila tantras and sadhanas is "Vajra wrath cuts off hatred." This has many meanings but also points to one benefit of practising Vajrakila.
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

Does one need stability in the generation stage?
michaelb wrote:
Yes. Generally, sadhana practices are supposed to deal with all unskillful mental states, including anger. Wrathful deities are said to be particularly good for dealing with anger and one often hears stories of some angry person going into Mahakala, Vajrakila or Dorje Drollo retreat and coming out completely calm, with no more bad temper or aggression. (I've heard this story about all three of the above mentioned deities.)
A famous line contained in many Vajrakila tantras and sadhanas is "Vajra wrath cuts off hatred." This has many meanings but also points to one benefit of practising Vajrakila.
Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Gyaltsen Tashi, this teaching by Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche may help: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/07/ ... -rinpoche/
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

I got into a fight the past week, and I got my nose broken. I am really a disgrace to the tradition.

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:Does one need stability in the generation stage?
Sorry, I just noticed this. Yes, ideally, but do your best and don't beat yourself up over any imperfections along the way. Nobody's perfect. Compassion and love for yourself is a good start.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”