Goddess Marici and Mayajalamahatantra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Rakshasa

Goddess Marici and Mayajalamahatantra

Post by Rakshasa »

Anyone has any info about Mayajalamahatantra which is about Goddess Marici. I've heard that Goddess Marici is the goddess of military arts. Is this tantra found in Tibetan canon?
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Goddess Marici and Mayajalamahatantra

Post by kirtu »

Rakshasa wrote:Anyone has any info about Mayajalamahatantra which is about Goddess Marici. I've heard that Goddess Marici is the goddess of military arts. Is this tantra found in Tibetan canon?
I have to check my notes (and this notebook is not with me at eh moment) but I'm pretty sure that in Bari Lotsawa's cycle she appears as a bodhisattva guarding primarily against robbery.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Meido

Post by Meido »

If you're interested in Marici in particular vis a vis military arts, you might also Google "David Hall Marishiten". Hall wrote a thesis called "Marishiten: Buddhism and the Warrior Goddess", tracing the origins and development of Marici (Jp. Marishiten) veneration and sadhana in India, China and Japan. The thesis itself may be found online.

A separate article by him entitled "Marishiten: Buddhist Influences on Combative Behavior" appears in a book called Koryu Bujutsu: Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan.

~ Meido
David A. Hall

Post by David A. Hall »

FYI, the dissertation you mention was composed and submitted to UCB over 20 years ago (1990).

This year I am publishing a much revised rendition of that work with some new and very interesting conclusions: The Buddhist Goddess Marishiten: A Study of the Evolution and Impact of her Cult on the Japanese Warrior, Global Oriental publishers with Brill: http://www.brill.com/buddhist-goddess-marishiten
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

kirtu wrote:
Rakshasa wrote:Anyone has any info about Mayajalamahatantra which is about Goddess Marici. I've heard that Goddess Marici is the goddess of military arts. Is this tantra found in Tibetan canon?
I have to check my notes (and this notebook is not with me at eh moment) but I'm pretty sure that in Bari Lotsawa's cycle she appears as a bodhisattva guarding primarily against robbery.

Kirt
Ah, I remember reading (somewhere) that she is a Kriya deity and often prayed to by travelers. The book didn't explain why she was prayed to though.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog1 wrote:
kirtu wrote:

Kirt
Ah, I remember reading (somewhere) that she is a Kriya deity and often prayed to by travelers. The book didn't explain why she was prayed to though.

For protection against bandits.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

In the Longchen Nyingthig Dug-ngal Rang-drol (Self-Liberation of Suffering, a form of Chenrezig), the secret (level) Guru Yoga (often done as a Yidam practice), Marici (Odzer Chenma) is the activity Goddess of the South in the lay-jor practice. While the south is usually associated as enriching, here She "enriches" with the brilliance taken from subdued obstructors.

:anjali:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I may be wrong, but I think Marici is also one of the figures in Dusum Khyenpa's 5-deity Tara practice.....will look it up to make sure.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

...and yes, indeed, Marici is one of five deities in the Five deity mandala of Khadiravani Tara, or Tara of the Acacia Forest, which is one of five "Heart Practices" of First Karmapa Dusum Khyenpa. Though I don't know if this practice bears any relatio to the Mayajalamahatantra itself.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Sūtra Studies”