Dukngal Rangdrol and Om Mani Peme Hung Hri

Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Dukngal Rangdrol and Om Mani Peme Hung Hri

Post by Nilasarasvati »

I've been told that Nyingmapas generally say the six syllable mantra with the seed syllable "Hri" at the end, which is how I've practiced for two years. However, I'm also aware that this is the mantra for the standing Chenrezig yidam practice and the 1000 arm chenrezig. Is it still the same? Do I need a lung/empowerment to visualize Dukngal Rangdrol above my head or...should I just stick to the four-armed vajra-posture chenrezig?
Yeti

Re: Dukngal Rangdrol and Om Mani Peme Hung Hri

Post by Yeti »

The Northern Treasures (Jangter) Chenrezig has a HRI at the end. From memory, the Tangtong Gyalpo I received doesn't. Think it may vary from practice to practice.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
S.Yeshe

Re: Om Mani Peme Hung + Hri

Post by S.Yeshe »

Hrih is the Seed syllable of Amitabah of the Lotus family, and consequently also of Chenrizig. Hrih is very distinctly in the middle as all the other syllables revolve counterclockwise and around it.

This being said...Nyingmapas generally DO NOT, in the majority of cases, say the six syllable mantra with the seed syllable HRIH at the end when reciting the 6 syllables...otherwise it wouldn't be the 6-syllable mantra. :jedi:

What would be more common and most advised and practiced would be to say HRIH as the end of each mala round thereby reserve saying HRIH for the Guru bead, which is what my Sangyumla told me when I was starting out.

((by the way, Hrih is also reserved in the Amitabah sadhana and said Exclusively on its own for at least a mala round or more in the dissolving/completion stage of the practice ....for those of you wondering and desiring to maximize your Hrihs))

With regards to OM MANI PEME HUNG...It would probably be more beneficial to say the HRIH evey time but honestly, to me, it just sounds and resonates funny when staying the basic mantra with some good speed!

By all accounts always say HRIH on the guru bead when saying the mantra :stirthepot:
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

If the sadhana you're doing has hrih, do that; if not, don't. (eg. the Longchen Nyingthig Dukngal Rangdrol sadhana does have hrih.)

recite the text as it is. You should still only recite what has been transmitted to you as it was transmitted. If you have received multiple transmissions, then you can choose.

It's not good to just make it up as you go along.
heart

Post by heart »

michaelb wrote:If the sadhana you're doing has hrih, do that; if not, don't. (eg. the Longchen Nyingthig Dukngal Rangdrol sadhana does have hrih.)
The Tukdrup Barche Kunsel got a hri, like most termas I would guess.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
S.Yeshe

Post by S.Yeshe »

Hrih such a wonderful peaceful syllable. It emanates ultimately from the heart center and lotus seat of Amithaba--our Western-located Dhyanni Buddha.
A mala round of Hrih a day will -- for sure-- keep the doctor away. You can't go wrong!

Mantras-in the heart of practice-should be practiced as directed by your gura, correct from the prior post.

While also true, messing around with powerful syllables and their mantras should be kept to a minimum with special teaching and practices; I doubt, as to the compassion the all-encompassing-of-the-6-realms mantra: OM MANI PEME HUNG, variant recitations would yield harmful effects.

Surely the mind, heart and intent are pure to the dharma rather when you would say Hrih along with the MANI recitations! Followers of strict dogmas and perceived letters of the law may discover ay the secret mantra vehicle is eludes them. In other words, true dharma is describable and even unaccountable and without law that is understandable in human terms.

The Vajrayana is not only a vehicle to possible self/universal enlightenment by rigid means but also perhaps with some artistic expression. On this note, may one try the mantra: OM MANI PEME HUNG HRIH, HRIH, HRIH, HRIH , HRIH ....and find negative karma?

Just a note: have you ever thought your Tibetan guru or trusted Tibetan monk were pronouncing Hrih as "shi"?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

IMO, Nila, until you have received the wang, don't visualize Dug-ngal Rang-drol. Visualize the more common form of the seated, four-armed Chenrezig. If you learned to chant Chenrezig's mantra with the Hrih at the end from your Teacher, then continue saying it that way. This is the way your Teacher's Teacher always taught this mantra even without reference to Dug-ngal Rang-drol. No worries.

:anjali:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Nyingma”