Accessibility of Karma Kagyu trad. without 3 yr.retreat

heart

Re: Accessibility of Karma Kagyu trad. without 3 yr.retreat

Post by heart »

JKhedrup wrote:Is there any word on when Mingyur Rinpoche may start teaching again?
When his retreat is finished, tentatively next autumn.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Mingyur Rinpoche is currently on an extended solitary retreat in the Himalayas. In truth, no one knows exactly where he is. In the tradition of the great meditation masters of times past, he is wandering freely with no fixed plan or agenda. His only companions are an unswerving commitment to the path of awakening and a heartfelt desire to benefit others. Throughout this period, he will likely be spending his time meditating in caves and hermitages in remote places. Meanwhile, the Tergar Meditation Community continues to thrive in his absence. Tergar lamas and instructors are holding meditation workshops and retreats around the world (including online) and there are many groups and centers that continue to follow his teachings. We expect Rinpoche to return in late 2014 or early 2015.The letter above was received in November, 2012.
source: http://learning.tergar.org/2012/11/29/m ... at-letter/
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

practitioner wrote:http://kagyu.com/en/dharma-path

Lama Norlha Rinpoche's dharma path program contains all the practices of the 3 year retreat and is designed for students who cannot go for a 3-year retreat or aspire to do one in the future. Obviously it takes longer than three years to complete.
This seems to be an amazing program ideal for those of us who sincerely aspire to progressing upon the path, but lack the $25k and the chunk of time needed for 3 year retreat (for the moment, at least). Lama Norlha has done Kagyupas a great service by tailoring a Lamrim to the needs of students and making it available for a paltry $150 registration fee.
:twothumbsup:

I'd like to point out is that the above link is broken and/or defunct. This one works for me:
http://kagyu.com/dharma-path

Also, for anyone in the Miami area of South Florida, one of Lama Norlha's students---Lama Karma Chötsö---resides and has a Dharma center in the Miami suburb of El Portal. I'm sure she'd be a good contact to have in reference to the Dharma Path program. From my experience, she is very accommodating and kind.

http://kagyu-sfla.org/

May all beings be able to engage in intensive study, practice, contemplation, and meditation! May Samsara be emptied and may all beings realize the state of Vajradhara, not one left behind!

:cheers:
Last edited by Palzang Jangchub on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

does anyone know the content of this program, i am very interested.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

You should e-mail them for the details. I'm guessing Ngondro will be the main practice for the first few years. Lojong DonDunMa, Shamatha/Vipassana/Mahamudra practice, Guru Yoga(s), and Three Roots practices will come later. Possibly Six Yogas, though normally one has to go into some sort of sealed retreat in order to learn and practice this.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

ok thanks, i contacted them. :smile:
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

This seems to be an amazing program ideal for those of us who sincerely aspire to progressing upon the path, but lack the $25k and the chunk of time needed for 3 year retreat (for the moment, at least). Lama Norlha has done Kagyupas a great service by tailoring a Lamrim to the needs of students and making it available for a paltry $150 registration fee.
Plus you get to sleep in a bed*, decide your own meals, and are free of the risk of potentially being cooped up for years with one or more irritating personalities. Who needs a Pure Land? It's Dewachen!

*In Lama Norlha's retreats they still sleep sitting up in their "meditation box". :jawdrop:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Yep--that's the tradition....sleep sitting up. Actually, there's a bit of "leaning back."

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Schrödinger’s Yidam

conebeckham wrote:Yep--that's the tradition....sleep sitting up. Actually, there's a bit of "leaning back."
I don't want to discourage anybody from doing Kagyu practice, but in Nyingma retreats they get to sleep in a bed.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Sure! I hear there are even some co-ed retreats in the Nyingma world, something I've not heard of in KagyuVille thus far. Those Nyingmapas are just more relaxed than we uptight (and upright!) Kagyupas, I guess.....

Schrödinger’s Yidam

conebeckham wrote:Sure! I hear there are even some co-ed retreats in the Nyingma world, something I've not heard of in KagyuVille thus far. Those Nyingmapas are just more relaxed than we uptight (and upright!) Kagyupas, I guess.....

Generally yes, but I've not heard of them offering the 3 year retreat program outside of retreat like Lama Norlha has. Now that's relaxed! :woohoo:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Many Nyingmapas teach their entire path, soup to nuts, outside of a three year retreat. So do the Sakyapas, actually.

Or so I've understood.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

conebeckham wrote:Many Nyingmapas teach their entire path, soup to nuts, outside of a three year retreat. So do the Sakyapas, actually.

Or so I've understood.
Hate to say it, but this thread isn't helping with the marketing of Kagyu practice a whole lot.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

That's okay!

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Palyul has their summer retreat and "Buddha in the Palm of One's Hand" program. Sakyapas teach Lamdre lobshay in a retreat setting. Mingyur Rinpoche, Situ Rinpoche, and most recently (next month) Khenpo Donyo all have graduated programs, taught in shorter retreats. So, there are options.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Actually, while I think of it, Khenpo Donyo's program, via Lama Michael Conklin's center in Portland, is a great option for those who want a complete path but can't commit to three year retreat. It's five years of graduated teaching and practice. I think there are some shorter retreat commitments; definitely some practice commitments....and it starts next month.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

conebeckham wrote:Actually, while I think of it, Khenpo Donyo's program, via Lama Michael Conklin's center in Portland, is a great option for those who want a complete path but can't commit to three year retreat. It's five years of graduated teaching and practice. I think there are some shorter retreat commitments; definitely some practice commitments....and it starts next month.
While we're on the subject, doesn't Sukasiddhi in Marin have something akin to that for the Shangpa Kagyu? They seem very generous with their teachings from what little I know of them.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

They do teach quite a bit of Shangpa stuff outside of retreat, from what I understand...but again, there are commitments to ongoing study. Which, frankly, is as it should be, IMO.

It should be no secret that I support retreat practice, in general, and the transmission of the more advanced practices in that context. If you're not got going to hit the cushion, HARD, there's no sense in learning some of this stuff...

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

i think its quite hard to hit the cushion hard if your NOT on a retreat.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

SuryaMitra

Post by SuryaMitra »

I think the accessibility depends of several factors, such us :
1) Karma
2) Effort & motivation
3) Place where you live, (that might also be karma)
4) Your own maturity
5) Your priorities

In general, it also depend of which Karmapa you are following and then, what organization you are associated with ...

Return to “Kagyu”