Buddha in Zululand

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Knotty Veneer

Buddha in Zululand

Post by Knotty Veneer »

phpBB [video]
This is not the wrong life.
KonchokZoepa

Re: Buddha in Zululand

Post by KonchokZoepa »

what is this ?
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

KonchokZoepa wrote:what is this ?
A documentary about a Buddhist Centre in Zululand South Africa.

It's interesting - largely white Buddhist centre in a predominantly black area. Raises some interesting questions I think about Buddhism in the South Africa.
greentara

Post by greentara »

The Zulu child is delightful. I ask what is the point of this, as the Zulu's had their own beliefs then they were all converted to Christianity. Now along comes a Buddhist from Holland and wants the locals to understand and practise Buddhism. The child is encouraged to be vegetarian even though there is real shortage of healthy food for her to eat as both parents squander the little money they have on beer instead of food for the children.
This is a problem world wide where local people, marginalised, often losing their small parcel of land, or their nomadic way of life are converted to Christianity or Islam and take to the bottle.
Yes help these poor families if you can but they do not need to be browbeaten nor do they need a new belief system.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

greentara wrote:The Zulu child is delightful. I ask what is the point of this, as the Zulu's had their own beliefs then they were all converted to Christianity. Now along comes a Buddhist from Holland and wants the locals to understand and practise Buddhism. The child is encouraged to be vegetarian even though there is real shortage of healthy food for her to eat as both parents squander the little money they have on beer instead of food for the children.
This is a problem world wide where local people, marginalised, often losing their small parcel of land, or their nomadic way of life are converted to Christianity or Islam and take to the bottle.
Yes help these poor families if you can but they do not need to be browbeaten nor do they need a new belief system.
I think you raise interesting points. There is something both inspiring but also perhaps paternalistic about the film.

Return to “Media”