Yogacara (Expanded) Bibliography & Resource Locator

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Leo Rivers

Yogacara (Expanded) Bibliography & Resource Locator

Post by Leo Rivers »

Yogacara (Expanded) Bibliography and Resource Locator

for books download uploaded rtf file

————————————————————————————

I. WEB RESOURCES:

A. Professor Ron Epstein's Online Publications
http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~rone/OnlinePu ... urn false;

"The Shurangama Sutra: a Reappraisal of Its Authenticity." A paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Oriental Society, March 16-18, 1976, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

"The Transformation of Consciousness into Wisdom: The Path of the Bodhisattva according to the Ch'eng Wei-shih Lun," Vajra Bodhi Sea: A Monthly Journal of Orthodox Buddhism. Part One: vol. 15, No. 176 (Jan. 1985), pp. 22-23. Part Two: vol. 15, No. 177 (Feb. 1985), pp 15-17. Part Three: vol. 15, No. 178 (March 1985), pp. 14-15.

(translation and explanation) Xuanzang (Tripitaka Master)."Verses Delineating the Eight Consciousnesses." Vajra Bodhi Sea: a Monthly Journal of Orthodox Buddhism; Pt. 1, Dec. 1997, pp. 37-38; Pt. 2, Jan. 1998, pp. 35-36; Pt 3, Feb. 1998, pp. 34-35; Pt. 4, March, 1998, pp. 33-34; Pt. 5, April, 1998, pp. 34-35; Pt. 6, May, 1998, pp. 31-32; Pt. 7, June, 1998, pp. 31-32, 45; Pt. 8, July, 1998, pp. 31-32; Pt. 9, Aug., 1998, pp. 32-33; Pt. 10, Sept., 1998, pp.; Pt. 11, Oct., 1998, pp. 38-39, 42; Pt. 12, Nov., 1998, pp.

B. Yogacara Buddhism Research Association Edited by: Dan Lusthaus & Charles Muller

http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/

and

C. Publications, Presentations, etc. of A. Charles Muller
http://www.acmuller.net/publications-e ... urn false;

Review: Buddhist Phenomenology: A Philosophical Investigation of Yogācāra Buddhism and the Ch'eng Wei-shih lun , by Dan Lusthaus. Philosophy East and West, vol. 55, no. 1; p. 135–139.

“The Yogācāra Two Hindrances and their Reinterpretations in East Asia.” Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies 27. (2004-1): 207–235.

“Wŏnhyo's Interpretation of the Hindrances.” International Journal of Buddhist Thought and Culture 2. (2003): 123–135.

“Explanation of the Essence of the Two Hindrances through Ten Canonical Texts.” Conference on “Korean Buddhism in East Asian Perspectives.” Geumgang University, Korea. October 23–24, 2004.

“Wonhyo's Doctrine of the Two Hindrances (Ijangui).” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion (Orlando), November 23, 1998

D. Web resource for study Yogacarabh ... urn false;

II. Electronic Publications:

M. D.’amato, Three Natures, Three Stages: An Interpretation of the Yogācāra Trisvabhāva-Theory, Journal of Indian Philosophy, 2005

III. Thesis/dissertation:

Abbott, Terry Rae, Vasubandhu’s commentary to the "saddharmapundarika- sutra" : a study of its history and significance (ekayana, buddhism, mahayana, india, central asia, china, japan), 1985

Chun, Jang-Kil., A study of the Dasūbhūmika-sūtra : its relation to previous Buddhist traditions and the development of bodhisattva practice, Univ : THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN - MADISON, 1993

Wayman, A., Analysis of the Śrāvakabhūmi Manuscript, Univ. California Press, 1961

Attachments
Yogacara Expanded Bibliography.rtf
The complete resource 29 K rtf.
(24.05 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Aemilius

Re: Yogacara (Expanded) Bibliography & Resource Locator

Post by Aemilius »

Leo Rivers wrote:

III. Thesis/dissertation:

Abbott, Terry Rae, Vasubandhu’s commentary to the "saddharmapundarika- sutra" : a study of its history and significance (ekayana, buddhism, mahayana, india, central asia, china, japan), 1985
This is highly interesting, an indian commentary to the Lotus Sutra. It doesn't exist as a book, does it?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Yes, it is translated in a disseration you can buy from Illiad
rory

Post by rory »

I'm looking for Stanley Weinstein's " The Kanjin Kakumusho" 1965, dissertation Harvard University a history of the Hosso sect, I've only found this little bit
from Komazawa University,
http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110006992299/

Does anyone know where I could obtain it please? And much gratitude for the wonderful bibliograph :anjali:
with gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

http://disexpress.umi.com/dxweb

THE KANJIN KAKUMUSHO
by WEINSTEIN, STANLEY Ph.D., Harvard University, 1966; AAT 0239411
Order a copy from above url
rory

Post by rory »

Just tried, it's not available, bother. But thank you so much for the wonderful bibliography and help. I'm very grateful!
:namaste:
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Was bored the other night so I emailed Stanley Weinstein asking where I could find a copy.
He said it was never published, but he said he has made a ton of revisions and edits so he is thinking about releasing an update.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Please keep me appraised! I would dearly like to know more about the Japanese Yogacara and how viable are they? Is there a US Hosso center ANYWHERE (I can't walk on water to Hawaii or I would just continue to Tokyo,
rory

Post by rory »

Pork Chop you're amazing! thank you so much, bowing to you....

... Leo, I've written to Charles Muller at Tokyo University, he says there is a young Japanese Hosso priest now training who speaks English, so not to worry for those of us who wish to study with Hosso Shu there will be an opportunity. You've read the wonderful "Living Yogacara" by Tagawa Shun'ei he's the abbot of Kofukuji, the head temple of the Hosso sect in Japan. Super book. Hosso Shu is tiny but it's there!
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
nameless_one

Post by nameless_one »

Hello! Can anybody give some links devoted to Abhidharmasamuccaya? Commentaries, investigations...
Translation of Walpola Rahula desperately is not enough for understanding of text.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Get Paul Griffiths 1983 "Buddhist Meditation" for an annotated translation and sub-atomic break down that is a model of clarity. use the above dissertation url.

GRIFFISTHS, Paul John (1983) Indian Buddhist Meditation-Theory: History, Development and Systemization, University of Wisconsin-Madison

UMI Dissertation Services ProQuest web www.il.proquest.com 83-23374
nameless_one

Post by nameless_one »

Thank you!
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Yogācārabhūmi-śāstra still not translated. :crying:
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Web resource for study Yogācārabhūmi-śāstra & Web resource for Sanskrit Buddhist Texts

http://ibc.ac.th/faqing/node/111 :namaste:

Return to “Academic Discussion”