Lamotte's Mahayanasamgraha translation

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Huifeng

Lamotte's Mahayanasamgraha translation

Post by Huifeng »

Hi all,

Quick question:

Which base text was Lamotte's Mahayanasamgraha translation into French based on?

Was it the Tibetan, or Xuanzang's?

Checking out various sources, there seems to be some discrepancies in the explanations...

~~ Huifeng
pueraeternus

Re: Lamotte's Mahayanasamgraha translation

Post by pueraeternus »

Hi Venerable,

Lamotte's La somme du Grand Véhicule d'Asanga has 2 volumes - the first volume is the Chinese and Tibetan translation, the 2nd volume is the French translation of the Tibetan critical text, together with parts of Vasubhandu's Mahayanasamgrahabhasya and Asvabhava's Mahayanasamgrahopanibandhana.

So the basic text of the French translation is from the Tibetan. I understand there are cross references to the Taisho version.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

pueraeternus wrote:Hi Venerable,

Lamotte's La somme du Grand Véhicule d'Asanga has 2 volumes - the first volume is the Chinese and Tibetan translation, the 2nd volume is the French translation of the Tibetan critical text, together with parts of Vasubhandu's Mahayanasamgrahabhasya and Asvabhava's Mahayanasamgrahopanibandhana.

So the basic text of the French translation is from the Tibetan. I understand there are cross references to the Taisho version.
Voila! :namaste:

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Wouldn't happen to have digital versions (scans, etc.) of either of these would you?
I have Ani Migme Chodron's English of Vol. II already.

~~ Huifeng
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Huifeng wrote:Wouldn't happen to have digital versions (scans, etc.) of either of these would you?
I have Ani Migme Chodron's English of Vol. II already.

~~ Huifeng
Oh - no, unfortunately I don't. I will keep an eye out for it and let you know when I come into possession of it.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Thank you, O Eternal Youth!

:namaste:

~~ Huifeng
sky_flower

Post by sky_flower »

Tibetan text and French translation by Lamotte is avaible here:
https://webshare.uchicago.edu/users/daarnold/Public/

you can downlaod scanned data as a PDF file.

(This link is from http://home.uchicago.edu/~daarnold/Mahayanasamgraha.pdf)

With Metta :namaste:

Return to “Academic Discussion”