Shower Of Blessings

Terma

Shower Of Blessings

Post by Terma »

Does anyone know of any commentaries or teachings (preferably in pdf) on this practice? I have the text, received the lung for it and have received a Guru Rinpoche empowerment. Unfortunatey "Shower of Blessings" were not part of the teachings and we did not receive any particular instructions (tri) for it. A few of us requested the lung so we did receive this, however.

I think this is most likely done on Guru Rinpoche Days, but is it ever/can be done as a daily practice (minus the tsok portion for a daily practice)?

Thanks,

Terma
pensum

Re: Shower Of Blessings

Post by pensum »

This is a somewhat common title, so which Shower of Blessings are you referring to, the one by Mipham Rinpoche?
Terma

Post by Terma »

pensum wrote:This is a somewhat common title, so which Shower of Blessings are you referring to, the one by Mipham Rinpoche?
Yes, by Mipham Rinpoche.

"Shower of Blessings: A Guru Yoga Based on the Seven Line Prayer" is the exact title written on the front of the liturgy.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Terma wrote: I think this is most likely done on Guru Rinpoche Days,
Yes
but is it ever/can be done as a daily practice (minus the tsok portion for a daily practice)?
Yes (and you can do the tsok too!).

Unfortunately I don't know of any published commentaries but I'll check my notes.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
philji

Post by philji »

KTD in Woodstock. USA have a very extensive teaching available on cd which covers all aspects of the practice.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I would also recommend this book by Mipham Rinpoche on the Seven Line Prayer. The Seven Line Prayer is the essence of The Shower of Blessings, and the text is also is about the Shower of Blessings in that it contextualizes Mipham Rinpoche's deep understanding of the Seven Line Prayer and his revelation of the Shower of Blessings. It fortunately also contains a unique English translation of the essential Guru Yoga practice of SOB:
White Lotus
An Explanation of the Seven-Line Prayer to Guru Padmasambhava
by Jamgon Mipham
translated by Padmakara Translation Group

http://www.shambhala.com/white-lotus.html

I believe this Guru Yoga can be done anytime, day or night, and does not need to be accompanied with a Tsok offering, as evidenced by the practice here as it was originally revealed: as a concise Guru Yoga practice and not as a complete tsok sadhana.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Terma

Post by Terma »

Thanks Philji, the CD's might be usueful.

Admantine, thanks. "White Lotus" was where I was going to begin too actually. I read ashort preview and it is actually on my que of books to purchase on my e-reader. Think I will.

I agree with your comments, that guru yoga can be done anytime. And when I first read the practice upon receiving the lung, I immediately thought that this would make a great concise daily practice. The very short tsok section just adds to this, as most tsoks are quite elaborate from my own experience.
pensum

Post by pensum »

Terma wrote:I agree with your comments, that guru yoga can be done anytime. And when I first read the practice upon receiving the lung, I immediately thought that this would make a great concise daily practice. The very short tsok section just adds to this, as most tsoks are quite elaborate from my own experience.
This sadhana is commonly used as a daily practice. Thrangu Rinpoche often recommends it.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Terma wrote: The very short tsok section just adds to this, as most tsoks are quite elaborate from my own experience.
Yes, actually when I do tsok at home I often choose to do an arrangement based on the Shower of Blessings put together by Thinley Norbu Rinpoche. The Shower of Blessings guru yoga is the heart of the sadhana but there are a number of texts from other sources he has inserted, for instance practices from his father Dudjom Rinpoche's terma like "The Melodious Tamboura of the Lotus, the Concise Fulfillment of the Dakinis". I imagine this compilation may be lengthier than what you have, but it is still quite simple and brief compared to most other Tsok sadhanas with which I'm familiar. And my experience (and that of most people I know who have practiced it) is that despite it's concise nature, it is deeply profound and carries tremendous blessings. It is one of my favorite practices.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adi

Post by Adi »

Adamantine wrote:
Terma wrote: The very short tsok section just adds to this, as most tsoks are quite elaborate from my own experience.
Yes, actually when I do tsok at home I often choose to do an arrangement based on the Shower of Blessings put together by Thinley Norbu Rinpoche. The Shower of Blessings guru yoga is the heart of the sadhana but there are a number of texts from other sources he has inserted, for instance practices from his father Dudjom Rinpoche's terma like "The Melodious Tamboura of the Lotus, the Concise Fulfillment of the Dakinis". I imagine this compilation may be lengthier than what you have, but it is still quite simple and brief compared to most other Tsok sadhanas with which I'm familiar. And my experience (and that of most people I know who have practiced it) is that despite it's concise nature, it is deeply profound and carries tremendous blessings. It is one of my favorite practices.
I also think most highly of this arrangement and have practiced it often. If anyone wishes to find this particular text/commentary it is usually available from Vajrayana Foundation's Dharma Treasures bookstore. I don't think they have it online but you can always call them & do a phone order if they have it in stock.

-Adi

Return to “Nyingma”