HUM or HUNG?

Rinchen Dorje

HUM or HUNG?

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I have noticed that some Dzogchen teachers use HUM while others use HUNG..is there really a difference energetically?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
krodha

Re: HUM or HUNG?

Post by krodha »

Fa Dao wrote:I have noticed that some Dzogchen teachers use HUM while others use HUNG..is there really a difference energetically?
I'd say it's best to go with whichever was used in the transmission you received, but ultimately it doesn't make much difference. Chögyal Namkhai Norbu just recently told the story of Sakya Pandita and the yogi who mispronounced "vajrakilaya" as "chili chilaya", read that story sometime if you get a chance, puts things in perspective with discrepancies like this.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I remember that story..good one. and yes, i always go with whatever transmission..was just wondering if there was a difference
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
pensum

Post by pensum »

This is simply a question of the English spelling not accurately reflecting the proper Sanskrit pronunciation, especially considering the preference to not use diacritics in publications for general readership (a proper transliteration would be Huṃ). So how its written phoneticization is of little import and subject to the translator's personal preference.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Pensum..I have heard that except I have heard different teachers pronounce it distinctly both ways
pensum

Post by pensum »

Fa Dao wrote:Pensum..I have heard that except I have heard different teachers pronounce it distinctly both ways
Certainly, people with different accents pronounce things differently, just like Canadians and Americans pronounce "out and about" differently. And the various regions of Tibet have various accents and pronunciations as well, for example Khyentse is pronounced either with a hard "k" or a soft "ch". I don't doubt that in ancient India Sanskrit itself was pronounced differently according to various accents as well.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:I have noticed that some Dzogchen teachers use HUM while others use HUNG..is there really a difference energetically?
I'd say it's best to go with whichever was used in the transmission you received, but ultimately it doesn't make much difference. Chögyal Namkhai Norbu just recently told the story of Sakya Pandita and the yogi who mispronounced "vajrakilaya" as "chili chilaya", read that story sometime if you get a chance, puts things in perspective with discrepancies like this.

ChNN always tells this story. The background is that Sapan wrote a text called "How to Pronounce Mantras", in which he makes a strong argument that it is better to pronounce mantras according to rules of Sanskrit pronunciation. He notes that reciting mantras incorrectly may contain blessings, but they are more effective if one tries to pronounce them as well as possible. Naturally, there was a reaction against this idea by many Tibetans even in Sakya.

M
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Thank you Malcolm...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pensum wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:Pensum..I have heard that except I have heard different teachers pronounce it distinctly both ways
Certainly, people with different accents pronounce things differently, just like Canadians and Americans pronounce "out and about" differently. And the various regions of Tibet have various accents and pronunciations as well, for example Khyentse is pronounced either with a hard "k" or a soft "ch". I don't doubt that in ancient India Sanskrit itself was pronounced differently according to various accents as well.
Yes, in Bengal, Vajra was probably pronounced "bazra", as in Kashmir, and also Nepal. In Central India, i.e. Varanasi, "Wajra". Benzar on the other hand...
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote: ChNN always tells this story. The background is that Sapan wrote a text called "How to Pronounce Mantras", in which he makes a strong argument that it is better to pronounce mantras according to rules of Sanskrit pronunciation. He notes that reciting mantras incorrectly may contain blessings, but they are more effective if one tries to pronounce them as well as possible. Naturally, there was a reaction against this idea by many Tibetans even in Sakya.
Why? I mean I'd get that if he'd say if you don't pronounce them correctly you get absolutely nothing, which is obviously not the case.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Pero wrote:
Malcolm wrote: ChNN always tells this story. The background is that Sapan wrote a text called "How to Pronounce Mantras", in which he makes a strong argument that it is better to pronounce mantras according to rules of Sanskrit pronunciation. He notes that reciting mantras incorrectly may contain blessings, but they are more effective if one tries to pronounce them as well as possible. Naturally, there was a reaction against this idea by many Tibetans even in Sakya.
Why? I mean I'd get that if he'd say if you don't pronounce them correctly you get absolutely nothing, which is obviously not the case.
I've heard him saying that, for the transmission to operate, it has to be pronounced the way it has been transmitted. Hence the story he tells about the hermit ... therefore it would have no sense to pronounce it "according to rules of Sanskrit pronunciation"

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pero

Post by Pero »

Sönam wrote:
Pero wrote:
I've heard him saying that, for the transmission to operate, it has to be pronounced the way it has been transmitted. Hence the story he tells about the hermit ... therefore it would have no sense to pronounce it "according to rules of Sanskrit pronunciation"

Sönam
The problem with that is that somewhere along the line someone garbled up the pronounciation, so there was at least one who mispronounced what was transmitted to him and it all still works. That said I still pronounce the way I heard it pronounced by my teachers.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Pero wrote:
Sönam wrote: ...

Sönam
The problem with that is that somewhere along the line someone garbled up the pronounciation, so there was at least one who mispronounced what was transmitted to him and it all still works. That said I still pronounce the way I heard it pronounced by my teachers.
Yes, it's a problem ... I suppose because of our limitations.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -

Return to “Dzogchen”