Sleep yoga the central practice?

ConradTree

Sleep yoga the central practice?

Post by ConradTree »

Does everything ultimately relate to sleep yoga?

1. During sleep yoga, tertons 'travel' to pure lands and receive terma, instructions etc.
2. The progress of all daytime practice, whether mantras or even lhun grub practices, is explicitly assessed by dreams.
3. The practice of the night is a standard feature in Dzogchen practice manuals.
4. Sleep yoga is explicitly emphasized by Dilgo Khyentse, Jigme Lingpa etc.

So is sleep yoga the highest and most direct practice?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Sleep yoga the central practice?

Post by Grigoris »

ConradTree wrote:Does everything ultimately relate to sleep yoga?

1. During sleep yoga, tertons 'travel' to pure lands and receive terma, instructions etc.
2. The progress of all daytime practice, whether mantras or even lhun grub practices, is explicitly assessed by dreams.
3. The practice of the night is a standard feature in Dzogchen practice manuals.
4. Sleep yoga is explicitly emphasized by Dilgo Khyentse, Jigme Lingpa etc.

Why don't you receive instruction on the practice, try it, and see?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
thigle

Post by thigle »

ConradTree wrote: So is sleep yoga the highest and most direct practice?
I don't know anything about "sleep yoga", but if you're talking about immediate-obvious knowledge in sleep: It's hard to recognice knowledge - if you fall asleep or in dreams or in lucid dreams or in oobe's - without recognicing knowledge before. So it can't be the "most direct practice". Maybe it's better, you follow an authentic direct introduction while you're awake.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Why don't you receive instruction on the practice, try it, and see?
I did.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

How did you find it? Would you consider it the most effective practice out of all those you do?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

bump
krodha

Post by krodha »

ConradTree wrote:Does everything ultimately relate to sleep yoga?

4.  Sleep yoga is explicitly emphasized by Dilgo Khyentse, Jigme Lingpa etc.  

Luminosity in sleep is just a natural result of maturation in view. According to Dudjom Lingpa the afflictive consciousness of sentient beings recedes into the ālaya (or substrate) during sleep, but for seasoned practitioners that process starts to dissolve and ignorance in sleep begins to diminish. 

There was another dream yoga thread not too long ago where I posted some info from the Dröltig Gongpa Rangdröl which divides the path of no more learning into three stages. In the lesser stage equipoise and post-equipoise are completely mixed, but there is still subtle delusion in sleep. In the medium stage luminosity is stabilized and present both day and night. Regarding the last stage (per Jigme Lingpa): the great yoga of no more learning is also called 'crossing over, without any difference in day or night, to the state of the inseparable three kāyas'. In Dzogpa Chenpo sem sde this stage is referred to as 'the experience of spontaneous presence transcending the boundaries of ordinary contemplation'. These three sub-divisions of the path of no more learning span stages [skt. bhūmi, tib. byang chub sems dpa'i sa] 8 to 16. Ergo at the time of the result, wisdom pervades both waking and sleep evenly.

As stated in the concluding remarks (found in song twenty) of Lama Shabkar's Flight of the Garuda: "When dreaming and being awake are without any difference, that is the time of having actualized the meditation."
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Sherab Dorje wrote:How did you find it? Would you consider it the most effective practice out of all those you do?

I would be interested in your answer to Sherab Dorje's question ConradTree.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Personally, the outcomes of personal practice trump conceptual proliferation through theorising, every time.

I found dream yoga startlingly effective. Almost too effective, given my (in)capacity to avoid my dualistic tendencies.

And in a relatively small period of practice time too.

Kris

Post by Kris »

Night practice is awesome!!!
But there is hesitation to share more than than that statement... :tongue:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
krodha

Post by krodha »

Incredible that teachers like Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche are able to do months worth of practice in a single night due to lack of time limitations in the dream state.

Return to “Dzogchen”