The Digital Tonglen Thread.

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Jesse

The Digital Tonglen Thread.

Post by Jesse »

So I thought I'd start an interesting thread, and hope people find it entertaining or useful at least.

Here's the rules:

1. Post an aspect of your life you are suffering mainly from and working on resolving. (Examples are Anger, Greed, Aversion, Delusion, Etc.)
2. Post skilful means for dealing with the previous posters problem. Helpful advice, this should be framed in a very general way I think, aimed at the affliction, and not the person.)

During our meditations this week, everyone who participates will include those members who posted here in their metta or tonglen practice. Hopefully it goes along way toward alleviating all our suffering.

Edit: Let me add that if there is support for this type of thing, I'd be willing to do one every week.

I'll start:

The main thing I am dealing with these days is Anger and Anxiety.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Jesse

Re: The Digital Tonglen Thread.

Post by Jesse »

shameless self bump!
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Aww Guess im doing toglen myself this week, if anyone would like me to include them in my tonglen session, make a post or PM me. I'll be happy to.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Anger and anxiety here too.

For me management of both requires quite a bit, depending on the time of year, sometimes I am pretty bad and other times i'm fine.

I practicing exchanging self and other in various way, throughout the day simply thinking "may all sentient beings free of this", etc. I find Shantideva dedication prayer is really effective during these times:

hhttp://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/hhdedica.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lojong study helps a lot, I usually use this site just because it's easy access, number of teachers here but Trungpa often does it for me:

http://lojongmindtraining.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also try to contemplate the fact that many others (namely supportive family, friends, teachers etc.) are about the only reason I am functional today, and can handle any of my stuff. In whatever way I can, I feel that I kind of "owe it to the world" somehow to try to help others out some, in whatever small way i'm capable, since I owe others so much..these sorts of contemplations put my own spiraling, obsessive though patterns in context. It also helps to feel to some degree that I have no right to "give up" on other people or the world, and just say screw it. - even though it's often what I feel like doing.

I will include both of us in my practice, among others, lol!
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Anger and anxiety here too.

For me management of both requires quite a bit, depending on the time of year, sometimes I am pretty bad and other times i'm fine.

I practicing exchanging self and other in various way, throughout the day simply thinking "may all sentient beings free of this", etc. I find Shantideva dedication prayer is really effective during these times:

hhttp://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/hhdedica.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lojong study helps a lot, I usually use this site just because it's easy access, number of teachers here but Trungpa often does it for me:

http://lojongmindtraining.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also try to contemplate the fact that many others (namely supportive family, friends, teachers etc.) are about the only reason I am functional today, and can handle any of my stuff. In whatever way I can, I feel that I kind of "owe it to the world" somehow to try to help others out some, in whatever small way i'm capable, since I owe others so much..these sorts of contemplations put my own spiraling, obsessive though patterns in context. It also helps to feel to some degree that I have no right to "give up" on other people or the world, and just say screw it. - even though it's often what I feel like doing.

I will include both of us in my practice, among others, lol!
Excellent, I'm glad your partipating. Hope others will join in! Tong-len is generally done with all beings, but I think it may be more beneficial if the amount of people is limited. Would like to see more people in on this! Don't be shy.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here is a great post by username: manas over at Dhamma Wheel about starting with yourself, especially for those who don't feel worthy:
manas wrote:I've been on a healing journey since I left home as a young man. Over this time, the following realization has slowly taken shape, but only recently has it become much more apparent and clear to me:

You are neither worthy nor unworthy of love; you are neither deserving nor undeserving. 'Deserving' and 'undeserving' don't come into it, these are irrelevant.

Who is there who has never done any wrong? And who is there who has never done any good? And who are you to judge or place yourself on any kind of 'level' in relation to other beings?

Don't love yourself based on whether you feel 'worthy' of it or not. Love yourself because you need it. It is a basic human need. Give yourself this gift.

Love is an activity, a practice. It is something we do. It's not some permanent state we arrive at. Like all formations, it is impermanent. But it is essential nonetheless.

Don't make loving yourself conditional on whether you are practicing ideally, badly, or not at all. Even if you end up drug addicted, thieving and breaking every precept there is, love yourself. Because if you do, there is a good chance you will then stop doing those unwholesome things. But if you dwell in self-loathing, there is less chance of stopping such things.

Take your own side on this long journey of Samsara. You've got to be your own friend. There are going to be a lot of beings trying to bring you down. At least be your own friend, don't side with those who wish to bring you down by repeating their negative appraisals of you in your head all of the time! Even if you end up completely friendless as far as society goes, at least always be your own friend; no matter what, be kind and friendly towards yourself. This will hold you in good stead on this long journey.

When you truly begin to love yourself, you become happier. Then, filled with greater happiness, the kindness begins to spill over, you begin to feel more well-disposed towards others as well, more patient, more forgiving.

Give yourself this gift: metta. It begins with you. Care for and nurture it, let it grow. Don't make it conditional. It is not about whether you 'deserve' it or not.
It is because you need it. We all do.
'
kind regards
manas.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Going to join us David?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:thumbsup: Sure.

:meditate:

:anjali:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Dear Jesse,
please be sure I do practice something like that (especially mondays and wednesdays) and you are included. :smile: I just don't like to talk about it, because that drains the energy. I found out.

Metta, Ayu
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

:)

I will do my sessions tonight, Wednesday and Friday. There's still time for others to join in.

:namaste:
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

If those participating would do their seesion this week, before sunday. I would appreciate it. I will start another one fresh this coming monday. I hope to have more people join us. (Don't hesitate to join this week's also.)

:namaste:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

It's not always Tonglen what I'm doing, but you can count me in. On monday, wednesday, friday, my thoughts are also within here while meditating. :twothumbsup:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I look forward to participating to the best of my ability.

I'm afflicted with every category of distraction and error: ignorance, aversion, attraction, all of it.

I rejoice in Jesse's good idea in starting this thread. Well done!

Return to “Lounge”