Some advice requested from students of ChNNR please

Terma

Some advice requested from students of ChNNR please

Post by Terma »

Hi there,

First of all I see that there is a similar topic to this one going at the moment, but I did not want to divert attention from that particular member and their question. So I opened a new one and I hope you guys can help me in the same way. :smile:

A few months ago I was fortunate enough to take part in a WWT as part of the anniversary of Garab Dorje. It was short, but sweet. Rinpoche led us through the practice and gave DI as part of it.

For some reason I never picked up from there, and I would like some advice from those practicing Rinpoche's teachings. At this point, what should I practice? "Guru Yoga of the white A", as well as S.O.V.?

When the practice and transmission was finished, Rinpoche sort of just got up and left, so he did not give any lungs afterwards. I have been without a laptop since then so I have not been able to take part in any webcasts or retreats. I hope to do so very soon as I get a new laptop. :techproblem:

I have the "Guru Yoga" book and it is excellent. Is there any other books at this point that would help compliment what I am able to practice right now? Rinpoche's explanations are just so clear and concise. And I once again feel drawn to doing the practices as I learn more.

Does anyone know of a group in Toronto? It is always helpful for some group support!

Also, please feel free to PM me too. I feel connecting with other practitioner's is beneficial to everyone.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

:namaste:
Russell

Re: Some advice requested from students of ChNNR please

Post by Russell »

You could get on with practising The Guruyoga of Garab Dorje, long version. There is a CD you can sing along too here: http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Or any of the other guruyogas in the guruyoga book you already have. (except hte padmasambhava one i dont think you have transmission for yet).

Also you could buy general books on dzogchen by ChNN and read those, like this: http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

So plenty to do until you can listen to webcasts again. Also goto a retreat in person when you can, and connect with you local DC group.

:buddha1:
Terma

Post by Terma »

Thanks a lot, Soar :smile:

I will get the CD. Is the melody for "Song of the Vajra" (and the elements cleaning portion) a part of the CD as well do you know? I would like to learn the melodies to these practices.

Hope to be back able to view webcasts and videos again soon.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Terma
Russell

Post by Russell »

I cant remember if those parts are on that CD.
Soap-Bubble

Post by Soap-Bubble »

Terma wrote:Does anyone know of a group in Toronto? It is always helpful for some group support!
http://dzogchen.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Post by Reibeam »

Terma wrote:Thanks a lot, Soar :smile:

I will get the CD. Is the melody for "Song of the Vajra" (and the elements cleaning portion) a part of the CD as well do you know? I would like to learn the melodies to these practices.

Terma

The Guru Yoga of the White A cd is broken into tracks for the individual parts of the practice. You could get that and then arrange a playlist from it for your needs. Say a playlist of: A, elements, Refuge, SOV, and Dedication. The purification of the elements can be done by itself too like the sounding of the A and SOV.

The audio quality on the White A cd is quite good too and as was said earlier you could sing with it.
Terma

Post by Terma »

Reibeam wrote:

Terma

The Guru Yoga of the White A cd is broken into tracks for the individual parts of the practice. You could get that and then arrange a playlist from it for your needs. Say a playlist of: A, elements, Refuge, SOV, and Dedication. The purification of the elements can be done by itself too like the sounding of the A and SOV.

The audio quality on the White A cd is quite good too and as was said earlier you could sing with it.
This is a good suggestion. Thanks! This kind of thing was helpful when I learned some Chod practices a few years back. Having the audio to follow along with really helps in the initial stages.

In regards to SOV, I think it is done both as part of the guru yoga practices as well as being a practice on it's own? Is this correct? And is SOV encouraged to be sung/recited over the course of the day during mundane activities in such a way that one might recite mantra's? I'm sure that it is much more effective to do in a formal practice but I thought this was a good question.

Just looking to get on my feet some and integrate these wonderful teachings into my life. Thanks for everyone's ongoing help, suggestions and kindness :smile:
Natan

Post by Natan »

The book on The Song of the Vajra is a good place to start. Maybe book on the short tun if you have that lung.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Post by Reibeam »

Terma wrote:
Reibeam wrote:

Terma

This is a good suggestion. Thanks! This kind of thing was helpful when I learned some Chod practices a few years back. Having the audio to follow along with really helps in the initial stages.

In regards to SOV, I think it is done both as part of the guru yoga practices as well as being a practice on it's own? Is this correct? And is SOV encouraged to be sung/recited over the course of the day during mundane activities in such a way that one might recite mantra's? I'm sure that it is much more effective to do in a formal practice but I thought this was a good question.

Just looking to get on my feet some and integrate these wonderful teachings into my life. Thanks for everyone's ongoing help, suggestions and kindness :smile:
There is always the danger of being distracted from the mantra you are singing and being distracted from the task you are doing simultaneously......maybe that just happens to me :smile:

SOV helps one integrate the state of Guru Yoga with their body, speech and mind. The melody and how it coordinates with your breathing is important as well as keeping your presence while singing so it doesn't just become a "song". The Song of the Vajra book has some very concise explanations.

Being in a state of Guru Yoga during any activity would be ideal, but for most the task of just being present during mundane activities can be difficult and it is worth devoting some time to practicing presence.

Rinpoche often says that Guru Yoga can be practiced anywhere at anytime. Having the presence of the white A and exhaling without sound can be very useful in times where you can't sound the A aloud.

This is an excellent book:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=281
Terma

Post by Terma »

Reibeam wrote: There is always the danger of being distracted from the mantra you are singing and being distracted from the task you are doing simultaneously......maybe that just happens to me :smile:

SOV helps one integrate the state of Guru Yoga with their body, speech and mind. The melody and how it coordinates with your breathing is important as well as keeping your presence while singing so it doesn't just become a "song". The Song of the Vajra book has some very concise explanations.

Being in a state of Guru Yoga during any activity would be ideal, but for most the task of just being present during mundane activities can be difficult and it is worth devoting some time to practicing presence.

Rinpoche often says that Guru Yoga can be practiced anywhere at anytime. Having the presence of the white A and exhaling without sound can be very useful in times where you can't sound the A aloud.

This is an excellent book:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=281
Thanks for the link, I have ordered it and it is on the way! And I have a new laptop finally, so I can get the audio CD of the Guru Yoga practice as well as tune in to any future webcasts that I am able to.

I look forward to learning more and practicing the teachings of the DC.

Thanks everyone.

Return to “Dzogchen”