Life of Buddha movie coming soon!!

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
DNS
Site Admin

Life of Buddha movie coming soon!!

Post by DNS »

The Life of Buddha movie; talk of it being in the works for several years is really happening. The success of the Buddha TV show in India and other countries has convinced the creators and producers to continue with the plans for the full-length movie, in English. The TV show is all in Hindi with subtitles but the movie will be in English.

To help in this effort the guy financing the movie, Indian businessman Dr. B.K. Modi has asked me to send all of you a message asking for your help in liking their facebook page. The more interest and likes they get, the more markets the TV show can get to and the quicker the movie can get started.

I met with Dr. B.K. Modi and his creative producer Ms. Ridwanaa yesterday here in Las Vegas and they had a visit to my place as well.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BuddhaTVShow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B.K. Modi's wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._K._Modi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B.K. Modi, Ridwanaa, me
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Life of Buddha movie coming soon!!

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Any idea what the script of the movie will be based on - Lalitavistara Sutra would be amazing.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Old Path, White Clouds, by Thich Nhat Hanh. Dr. Modi purchased the rights to adapt into a screenplay script for movie. I've read the book years ago and it is very good, non-sectarian-Buddhist, that is no specific Buddhist tradition over another in the rendering of the Buddha's life.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

David N. Snyder wrote:Old Path, White Clouds, by Thich Nhat Hanh. Dr. Modi purchased the rights to adapt into a screenplay script for movie. I've read the book years ago and it is very good, non-sectarian-Buddhist, that is no specific Buddhist tradition over another in the rendering of the Buddha's life.
Has a screenwriter been chosen, if yes, who?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

David N. Snyder wrote:Old Path, White Clouds, by Thich Nhat Hanh. Dr. Modi purchased the rights to adapt into a screenplay script for movie. I've read the book years ago and it is very good, non-sectarian-Buddhist, that is no specific Buddhist tradition over another in the rendering of the Buddha's life.
I never finished it - too saccharine for my taste.

For those who have not read it - http://portalspiritual.com/ebook/Englez ... Clouds.pdf
plwk

Post by plwk »

Like what a poster said on the other side of the fence David, lose the wig or lose me :tongue:
Seriously, if they can do upgraded super effects for modern presentations of Mahabharata & the Puranas on Indian screens, this one looks like a drag touch up of the 1970-80s kind... like that pathetic BBC documentary on the Buddha...
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Sounds like a nice idea. I heard about a movie being made on that quite a while ago, which didn't go ahead.

Fundamentally, only a serial could do justice to the Life of the Buddha, unless one only want to give a basic outline or focus on one event - which is what most of them do. But one movie is better than no movie.

I started watching that series about a month ago, and I enjoyed it so far, although it took me a while to get used to the Hindi drama style, e.g. over the top acting and some rather strange pop-music singing, but so far, it seems to have done more of the life of the Buddha than any other movie or serial, so I can only laud it. They also characterise people who otherwise are only names, e.g. Devadatta's parents, Suddhodana's brothers, which helps you to get a feel for the dramatis personae of the phantasmagoric nirmanikayic display that was the Buddha's life.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Zhen Li wrote: I started watching that series about a month ago, and I enjoyed it so far, although it took me a while to get used to the Hindi drama style, e.g. over the top acting and some rather strange pop-music singing, ...
The Indians don't do Bollywood in all their movies - I saw some Vedic movies played on Indian channels in DC without those elements. They were pretty good dramas. However they often lacked subtitles and I could only figure out what they were talking about over time.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

David N. Snyder wrote:The Life of Buddha movie; talk of it being in the works for several years is really happening.
:twothumbsup:
David N. Snyder wrote:The success of the Buddha TV show in India and other countries has convinced the creators and producers to continue with the plans for the full-length movie, in English. The TV show is all in Hindi with subtitles but the movie will be in English.
The episodes I can see on YouTube don't have subtitles. And it looks like Season 1 episodes are blocked.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

There are links in this forum page to a version with subtitles. The videos sometimes take a while to buffer, but they work fine for me:
http://desirippers.com/forumdisplay.php ... esc&page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I couldn't tell from the forum rules whether I was allowed to post this here or not, so if I need to take it down, please feel free to just delete this post. But there's pretty much no other way anyone will be seeing this outside of India except by this method.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Thanks but those links look scary.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

I can confirm that they're safe.
Robdog

Post by Robdog »

When i try to watch those links they say i must register for a free account then ask for my credit card details? They say they need card details to see what country i am in?
udawa

Post by udawa »

I don't think I've ever completely got over seeing Keanu Reaves in the main role....

phpBB [video]
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

udawa wrote:I don't think I've ever completely got over seeing Keanu Reaves in the main role....
One day, Keanu's greatness will become apparent to you...if you are worthy.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Jetavan wrote:One day, Keanu's greatness will become apparent to you...if you are worthy.
Hamburgers.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The final episode number 55 aired earlier today in India for the TV series. Their facebook page is now over 350,000 likes.

Dr. Modi with the Dalai Lama and some of the actors behind him.

https://www.facebook.com/BuddhaTVShow/p ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dr. Modi was featured today on Beyond the Dream, a news show on Fox News:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/390517026700 ... show-clips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Media”