Samadhiraja (King of Concentration) sutra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nirveda

Samadhiraja (King of Concentration) sutra

Post by Nirveda »

Does anyone know of any online translations of this sutra? I'm looking for one but can't seem to find any. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Thanks.

:namaste:
Jnana

Re: Samadhiraja (King of Concentration) sutra

Post by Jnana »

Nirveda wrote:Does anyone know of any online translations of this sutra? I'm looking for one but can't seem to find any. If I find one, I'll post it here.
Only parts of the Samādhirāja Sūtra have been translated. Here is a list of the chapters which have been translated into English.

Translation of Chapters I-IV:
  • Gómez, Luis O. and J.A. Silk (eds). "The Sutra of the King of Samādhis, Chapters I-IV." Studies in the Literature of the Great Vehicle. University of Michigan, 1989.
Translation of Chapters VIII, IXX, XXII:
  • Régamey, Konstanty. Three Chapters from the Samādhirājasūtra. Warsaw, 1938.
Translation of Chapters IV, VI, VII, IX:
  • Rockwell, John Jr. Samādhi and Patient Acceptance: Four Chapters of the Samādhirāja-sūtra, Translated from the Sanskrit and Tibetan. M.A. Thesis, Naropa Institute, Boulder, Colorado, 1980.

Cüppers, Christoph. The IXth Chapter of the Samādhirājasūtra. A Text-critical Contribution to the Study of Mahāyāna Sūtras. Stuttgart, 1990.
Translation of Chapter XI:
  • Tatz, Mark. Revelation in Madhyamika Buddhism. M.A.Thesis, University of Washington, 1972.
All the best,

Geoff
Greg

Post by Greg »

This sutra is an interesting case. One always sees it cited as a basis for mahamudra practice, but it "contains no significant exposition of either meditational practices or states of mind."("State or Statement?: Samādhi in Some Early Mahāyāna Sūtras." The Eastern Buddhist. 34-2. 2002 pg 57)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

There is also this book, but the commentary is only on "key points" of the sutra:

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/King_of_Samadhi_p/5524.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Avarahakha

Post by Avarahakha »

Here are some links to the various parts of this sutra and information regarding it:

Outline of its history:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/89525529/Dati ... ew-Skilton

The first 4 chapters:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30287350/Stud ... hist-Texts

The 9th chapter translation:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/89294563/The- ... irajasutra
Avarahakha

Post by Avarahakha »

You can also read extensive summaries of the chapters online by going on the Digital Library of India's website (only works during certain hours of the day which I assume corresponds to Indian working hours?) and search Gilgit Manuscripts then go on to:

Gilgit Manuscripts Vol. II Part II

and

Gilgit Manuscripts Vol. II Part III

by Dutt - they also include the Sanskrit text of the chapters in Nagari script although there's a few pages that don't work.

I'm copying them into PDF files and will be posting them on Scribd soon as the first parts of Vol 2 and 3 are easily available on Archive.org but these parts only seem to be available for online viewing and on this somewhat obscure site.

I am also planning on chopping up some PDFs and pasting them together into something easier to follow than half a dozen different translations and summaries spread across the web.
uan

Post by uan »

Avarahakha wrote:You can also read extensive summaries of the chapters online by going on the Digital Library of India's website (only works during certain hours of the day which I assume corresponds to Indian working hours?) and search Gilgit Manuscripts then go on to:

Gilgit Manuscripts Vol. II Part II

and

Gilgit Manuscripts Vol. II Part III

by Dutt - they also include the Sanskrit text of the chapters in Nagari script although there's a few pages that don't work.

I'm copying them into PDF files and will be posting them on Scribd soon as the first parts of Vol 2 and 3 are easily available on Archive.org but these parts only seem to be available for online viewing and on this somewhat obscure site.

I am also planning on chopping up some PDFs and pasting them together into something easier to follow than half a dozen different translations and summaries spread across the web.
:twothumbsup:
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

FYI for anyone interested, the Samadhiraja Sutra is now translated by 84,000:

https://read.84000.co/translation/toh127.html

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”