KIVA - Microloans

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Nicholas Weeks

KIVA - Microloans

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This is not a charity, but an international group that gives micro-loans to individuals & groups all over the planet.

You can give loans as an individual or as part of a "team". Kiva Buddhists, for example, has given about 100 thousand dollars during its few years of existence. We are number 8 among religious congregations in amount loaned.

Join in the fun of promoting self-reliance!

http://www.kiva.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Mr. G

Re: KIVA - Micro-loans

Post by Mr. G »

The co-founder of Kiva.org talks about how her attitude changed -- and how her work with microloans has brought new power to people who live on a few dollars a day.

phpBB [video]
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
seagrace

Re: KIVA - Microloans

Post by seagrace »

I maintain a Kiva Account for lending. I also donate funds to friends and family for lending. It is good to share good fortune.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

That's great seagrace! Nice to see someone helping those in need.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thought experiment:

If one consistently loans to persons in countries where Buddhism predominates, what kinds of possible outcomes may ensue? I can think of many good things that might come of it.

Just from glancing at the Kiva site, it appears there are many opportunities to loan in Cambodia and in Mongolia, for instance.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Just recycled another loan; so thought to bump this thread up and thus encourage more generous Buddhists to sign up with Kiva.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Kiva is a great program and microfinancing has already shown great promise in revitalizing and changing communities around the world. I applaud anyone who wishes to contribute to this noble cause.

:namaste:
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Thanks for bumping this thread up Will.
I have joined your group and am going to make a few loans.

Never knew about this project, what a great way to help out folks who really need it.

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
lotwell

Post by lotwell »

Thanks for sharing - Im going to put down for a little loan. It would be cool if all of us on the forum agreed on a borrower to support and fulfilled their loan instantly :)

Lotwell
justsit

Post by justsit »

Here is a Mongolian lady who is selling Buddhist religious articles.
May be good place to start?
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

This seems well-run and stable.

I think I will join you guys, I love the concept.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Oh, this is neat.
Thank you for sharing this,
I will look into it.
: )

In Gassho,

Sara H
Observing your mind is a good idea.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

It is a very well-run program. All the 'loans' go directly to those who apply for them, no "overhead" is taken. The premises are very sound, as well, and they've many success stories.

I highly recommend it. :smile:

If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

I will also recommend Kiva. Great organization, and the greatest thing about it is that you can always keep giving. People there are very responsible and hardworking too.

:anjali:
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Interesting thanks for sharing.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

At this time of year, Kiva is promoting its 'Kiva Cards' as seasonal gifts - see http://www.kiva.org/gifts/kiva-cards.
A good way of giving at Christmas, especially for those of us who are disgusted by the rampant over-consumption which overwhelms any vestigial goodness still attached to the festival.

Kim
Ukigumo

Post by Ukigumo »

Is there a way to just give these people funds without making it a "loan"?

I ask because it seems that larger and more predatory financial institutions are moving in to profit off microloans, with the result of people being trapped in debt.

Altruism or Exploitation?

Microloans: Mega Profit, Not Development

I don't know anything about Kiva, but speaking for myself I would much rather just give $25 to somebody in need than loan them the $25.

More than charity, I would want to challenge those institutions and systems that keep them in poverty.
All compound phenomena are like a dream;
a phantom, a drop of dew, a flash of lightning
That is how to meditate on them
That is how to observe them
justsit

Post by justsit »

Yes, you can donate to KIVA without making a loan. Go to their website, look under "About" and on the left side of the page there's a "Support" tab. There are several donation options listed.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Ukigumo wrote:I don't know anything about Kiva, but speaking for myself I would much rather just give $25 to somebody in need than loan them the $25.

More than charity, I would want to challenge those institutions and systems that keep them in poverty.
Kiva's lending partners are all non-profit organizations who only use interest to grow their lending ability. You can even look at the research on each partner and choose to help with loans only through those of whom you approve.

However, if you just don't like Kiva or the idea of lending, there is a great way to challenge capitalism and help with a "gift" by buying farm animals, foul, or even fruit trees and bees for impoverished families:

http://www.heifer.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Today, millions of people who were once hungry will be nourished by milk, eggs and fresh vegetables.Donate to support Heifer's sustainable approach. Families who for generations knew only poverty will be building new homes and starting businesses. Children who once headed out to the fields to do backbreaking work will be heading into schoolrooms to learn to read. And people who never thought they'd be in a position to help someone else will be experiencing the joy of charitable giving. How is this possible? With Heifer's proven approach – more than 65 years in the making – to helping people obtain a sustainable source of food and income.
I've given Heifer donations of trees, bees, etc. as "Christmas presents" to my Christian family members. Typically, they love it - even the kids because it captures their imagination.

If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I like the concept of KIVA. It appears to follow the philosophy of "give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for life".

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”