Stabilising Dzogchen practice

Paul

Stabilising Dzogchen practice

Post by Paul »

I found this series of posts by Jean-Luc Achard on a Bon message board.

The discussion really clarifies the role of retreat in stabilising the recognition of the natural state and also has some interesting points to make about translation, so I thought I'd share it.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Paul

Re: Stabilising Dzogchen practice

Post by Paul »

I made a PDF of the conversation as people may not be able to read it from the site linked to...
Attachments
rig.pdf
(92.36 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
heart

Post by heart »

I read it on the site and I agree with you it is interesting. Jean-Luc is a very serious practitioner and also quite a scholar both in western academic sense as well as in the traditional Tibetan style. He is also a translator. I also do consider him my friend.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Scholar/practitioner/translators such as Jean-Luc or Erik are really, really precious.

The way that they can easily correct misperceptions as he does in the link is invaluable.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Hayagriva wrote:Scholar/practitioner/translators such as Jean-Luc or Erik are really, really precious.

The way that they can easily correct misperceptions as he does in the link is invaluable.
could be pondered ... misperceptions come in regard of perceptions, and the strenght (some time "violence") with which he (J-L) explains everywhere, with the exact same arguments, his view (supposedly shared with his own Bön master), maintening it to be the orthodoxy and "words of masters" on the matter supported by the fact that he is certainly a very "creative" translator, does not guarantee the rightness of his perception on the subject, even not that all masters share the very aforementioned same orthodoxy. Unfortunately it's only a point of view, based, like all point of views, on personal experience, and on the personal inability to easily stay in equipoise in meditation (still have to be explained the real sens of that term concerning Dzogchen) and in post-meditation. There is many reason why it was so in Tibet (long term retreats, and so on ...) before.
This dichotomous opinion sounds like the eternal disagreement between moderns and classics, like the "bataille d'Hernani" ...

May all be good
Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:
Hayagriva wrote:Scholar/practitioner/translators such as Jean-Luc or Erik are really, really precious.

could be pondered ... misperceptions come in regard of perceptions, and the strenght (some time "violence") with which he (J-L) explains everywhere, with the exact same arguments, his view (supposedly shared with his own Bön master), maintening it to be the orthodoxy and "words of masters" on the matter supported by the fact that he is certainly a very "creative" translator, does not guarantee the rightness of his perception on the subject, even not that all masters share the very aforementioned same orthodoxy. Unfortunately it's only a point of view, based, like all point of views, on personal experience, and on the personal inability to easily stay in equipoise in meditation (still have to be explained the real sens of that term concerning Dzogchen) and in post-meditation. There is many reason why it was so in Tibet (long term retreats, and so on ...) before.
This dichotomous opinion sounds like the eternal disagreement between moderns and classics, like the "bataille d'Hernani" ...

May all be good
Sönam
I don't know Sönam, Jean-Luc is a real practitioner, you should be careful not to disrespect him.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

heart wrote:
I don't know Sönam, Jean-Luc is a real practitioner, you should be careful not to disrespect him.

/magnus
Hello Magnus,

Not to worry, I don't disrespect him, not in thoughts and not in words, here or in others places where he reads me directly. I'm just strongly questionning ... and I'm very astonished of the strenght used to defend that point of view, with the door closed to any counter-arguments.
But I recognize him as being a great translator, and certainly in french where he brought, with intelligence, a lot of new terms to translate specific Tibetan words.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Sönam wrote:Not to worry, I don't disrespect him, not in thoughts and not in words, here or in others places where he reads me directly. I'm just strongly questionning ...
the guy has been patient beyond limit, especially with people who oppose him their opinions, when he has the knowledge of the concerned literature and he’s been trained with authentic masters personally for above 2 decades. You are questioning something he says because you are rigidly convinced of your point of view. This is the problem : you have opinions, he has experience and knowledge. I read what you wrote on the french forum and it’s again the rants of someone who has not properly understood basics about Dzogchen. Your incapacity to penetrate the meaning of the difference between Dzogchen and the Dzogchenpa is a reason why the guy is sometimes very direct cuz he’s totally fed up with this, having to repeat things to deaf ears. Start to study properly and you’ll see he’s right beyond what you can imagine. I was his strongest opponent until I met him and discussed Dzogchen with him and practiced with him. I can tell you the guy knows what he’s talking about...
and I'm very astonished of the strenght used to defend that point of view, with the door closed to any counter-arguments.
The debate on the french forum was closed by the Admin, not by JL. Make true statement and don't manipulate please.
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
Hello Magnus,

Not to worry, I don't disrespect him, not in thoughts and not in words, here or in others places where he reads me directly. I'm just strongly questionning ... and I'm very astonished of the strenght used to defend that point of view, with the door closed to any counter-arguments.
But I recognize him as being a great translator, and certainly in french where he brought, with intelligence, a lot of new terms to translate specific Tibetan words.

Sönam
My impression of him is that he actually put everything he was taught in to practice in a very traditional way like a true yogi. I understood that his view about Dzogchen practice comes from his many long retreats rather than his academic research. I respect that a lot. You don't like his translations? Well, I don't translate myself so I try to stay out of those discussions. I just don't have the knowledge or the perspective.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Sönam

Post by Sönam »

It is closed,
no more openning,
certitude did do that,
it is not to be discussed,
you take and bow or leave.
Certainly that's a right track!

This is a true practice,
It's perfect, everything,
everywhere, all times.
It is effortlessness!
Easy, not simple.
Since my live is a tantra,
What does it means meditation ?

I don't bow cause everyone bow
Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Hayagriva wrote:I made a PDF of the conversation as people may not be able to read it from the site linked to...
Very good. Thanks.

All the best,

Geoff
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:It is closed,
no more openning,
certitude did do that,
it is not to be discussed,
you take and bow or leave.
Certainly that's a right track!

This is a true practice,
It's perfect, everything,
everywhere, all times.
It is effortlessness!
Easy, not simple.
Since my live is a tantra,
What does it means meditation ?

I don't bow cause everyone bow
Sönam
It is not easy, because it so simple, meditation is just recognizing this
It is effortless to fall in to the lower realms, meditation is just recognizing this
The knowing of the mind, has no hold on true wisdom, meditation is just recognizing this
To those of follow the path of true wisdom I bow down

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Sönam

Post by Sönam »

In lower vehicles cause gives effect, when conditions.
In Dzogchen cause is effect, with no conditions.
Thus, Dzogchen has never been separated from Dzogchenpa.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Sönam wrote: Dzogchen has never been separated from Dzogchenpa.
That is so, obviously, but until one realizes it to be so, it's as if it's not so. But since you'll undoubtedly disagree, I'm assuming you no longer practice then?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
muni

Post by muni »

No separation Dzogchen-Dzogchenpa. practice= to "remain" in nondual awareness, no any practioner-practice separation can be. No self-spot taint wholeness, no striving can be. Other Yoga tool may help.
Dzogchen rambling.
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:In lower vehicles cause gives effect, when conditions.
So you are free from birth, old age, sickness and death? That is cause and effect you know.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

muni wrote:No separation Dzogchen-Dzogchenpa. practice= to "remain" in nondual awareness, no any practioner-practice separation can be. No self-spot taint wholeness, no striving can be. Other Yoga tool may help.
Dzogchen rambling.
Yes yes, we all get this, but does this mean to you that Kuntuzangpo's Dzogchen teachings are untrue? Namely, that "there is one basis but two paths: rigpa and marigpa"? Is it not as Kuntuzangpo has said, that with marigpa, beings wander through the six realms?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

Yes and no. The separation (rushen) is the key practice in Dzogchen. Without it there is not practice in Dzogchen. And this is also the result, as i understand the logic, when there is no more any practice.

Animals, Humans, Pretas perceive differently. But there is the Path. Because of this Path, sentient beings by subject side perceive gross Nirmanakaya, bodhisattvas free from clinging perceive subtle Sambhogakaya, buddhas?.... because there is not any division at this level "they" can not continue to perceive but the Dharmakaya. The object of all of these is what? The division is where? Never was at the first place but only seems to. But until it seems to be division is also the Path. This Path leads to the no division. When division between "Buddha" and "sentient being" is completely no more, it means the all qualities (Dharmakaya, Rupakaya). This I meant by sentence: All divisions belong to the seeming not to the buddhas.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Sönam wrote: Dzogchen has never been separated from Dzogchenpa.
That is so, obviously, but until one realizes it to be so, it's as if it's not so. But since you'll undoubtedly disagree, I'm assuming you no longer practice then?
it depends what you mean by practicing ... there is still an activity !
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

heart wrote:
So you are free from birth, old age, sickness and death? That is cause and effect you know.

/magnus
Please read me, I did'nt say there is no cause and effect, I said "cause is effect" ...
- Longchen Rabjam -

Return to “Dzogchen”