Chödpa Lama Rinpoche

Knotty Veneer

Chödpa Lama Rinpoche

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Anyone know anything about this teacher?

http://www.machigling.org/biography/
This is not the wrong life.
philji

Re: Chödpa Lama Rinpoche

Post by philji »

Yes. We hosted him on part of his UK visit last year. He gave Chod empowerment and also offered Divinations on a. Personal basis.he has great Devon to Chod and to his teachers which include his father Yogi Kalsang Rinpoche and Tenga Rinpoche.he stayed with us for a week and was a delight to have around...real down to earth but no nonsense allowed either with regarding to practice....
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I moved the news about the earthquake to this topic:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p280051
sleepyhead

Post by sleepyhead »

There's alot of hype about Chod these days, and alot of masters or lamas or rinpoches popping up all over to teach Chod.
Unless you are Tibetan, you probably will not end up finding out the truth about these things.
As they say in bouddha, incees are dumb..they dont know anything (incees meaning foreigners)
As the lamas always say, dont jump into things without checking out the teachers. Many charlatans are like salesman , very good at peddling their stuff.

Now, his background is he's the son of a Rinpoche. He's married with 2 kids with his wife. They moved to Taiwan at first, and he was doing a cleaning job in Taiwan for a few years, but after failing to get his residency in Taiwan. He left for Canada.
He settled in Toronto and started a cleaning company there. His family is still there. Then he went back to India after awhile.
His sister married Ayang Rinpoche, and his brother has a gompa in South India.

When he supposedly started to teach Chod, he use Ayang Rinpoche's centers and gompas around the world.
Now what students should ask if they want to follow him... is Where is his gompa? Where are his Sangha?

A recognised Tulku having gone thru recognisation, enthronement...and the rest..normally has a gompa and sangha to take care of.
Observe, see and hear. Dont blindly follow anyone.
Im pretty sure if we are talking about a person in a modern society context. We would have our doubts becuz someone says he's a president of a Forbe 500 company. Why should we believe a person easily when Bill Clinton was found lying to the world? Why should we believe Lehmans Brothers when they cheated the whole world??
If we make an investment with our time and effort in this dharma practise, we dont want to end up wasting so much time and money by following someone fake.
A Rinpoche or lama of whatever lineage or gompa can be easily verify by asking.
Dont believe lamas becuz they took photos with so so Karmapa or etc etc. There are alot of groupies taking pictures with the favourite movie stars. It doesnt mean anything.

An example is Sakya lineage, if u go and enquire about a lama or Rinpoche from Sakya. You will get an answer right away.
philji

Post by philji »

Thanks for the information on Chodpa Lama... You ask where is his gompas and where is his sangha? I am sure there are many chodpas without a Gompa or sangha.... He has certainly had a good background in Chod with his father being a great partitioner and he has a great love for Chod and also a very clear way of explaining the practice... Any more than that I cannot say...
sleepyhead

Post by sleepyhead »

philji wrote:Thanks for the information on Chodpa Lama... You ask where is his gompas and where is his sangha? I am sure there are many chodpas without a Gompa or sangha.... He has certainly had a good background in Chod with his father being a great partitioner and he has a great love for Chod and also a very clear way of explaining the practice... Any more than that I cannot say...
You have missed the point, Rinpoche, tulku meaning he comes with a gompa and sangha. It's not about being chodpa.
Lama Wangdu has a gompa and sangha, he bought over the Gelug Gompa in Bouddha.

Anyone being in a background in Tibetan buddhism like his, of cuz be able to regurgitate the stuff or narrate the words out like a parrot easily.
Before this goes into a flaming war, you can go and check him out easily by asking Ayang Rinpoche whom goes to Europe, USA or Russia often.
Or you can ask Karmapa himself, he's in USA now or in Bodhgya in Jan 2016.

Or the best person to ask would be Tenga Rinpoche's successor at Benchen gompa, Sangye Nyenpa. He will be in Europe this fall, 2015.
Just print out a photo , or show him the pic from the tablet. And ask them in the face.
Is this a real lama, or Rinpoche? Can i learn Chod from him? Is he authentic? The truth will hurt at first, but its best if its early and ppl dont waste any more time and money.
I have mention previously, Sakya lineage has it clearly who is a lama, tulku and rinpoche.. So does the rest of the lineages. Im not from Sakya.
The reason being why im mentioning is, there was a Chod trend in USA and Canada in 2007. There was a few Chod groups promoting Chod Lamas, and so it goes.. and it became really big in 2009 onwards...till now..And i got conned till i went to Boudha in 2011 and found out the truth.

There's really only Dudjom Tersar Troma chod, Machik's lineage with Kagyu and Nyingma, and the last which is Lama Wangdu which is supposedly from Tingri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Vd4hpqFmk

You could take a look at the Garab Dorje Rinpoche's Troma Chod puja held in Bodhgaya each jan. The next one is coming up in Jan 2016. Anyone is welcome to go and take a look.
philji

Post by philji »

Sleepyhead .... Please cool down. I am not receiving teachings from Chodpa Lama although did once attend some teachings in the past.,I am curious to know if you have met him or heard directly about him from these teachers you mention. It does seem that his father was a lineage holder and I think the name Rinpoche has been used and bandied around by his students...but I have never heard him say that he is a tulku. Perhaps the precious one tag is only for those who see him as their guru . But thanks for your energetic response.
sleepyhead

Post by sleepyhead »

philji wrote:Sleepyhead .... Please cool down. I am not receiving teachings from Chodpa Lama although did once attend some teachings in the past.,I am curious to know if you have met him or heard directly about him from these teachers you mention. It does seem that his father was a lineage holder and I think the name Rinpoche has been used and bandied around by his students...but I have never heard him say that he is a tulku. Perhaps the precious one tag is only for those who see him as their guru . But thanks for your energetic response.
Im not at all agitated. Its just a shame seeing many people at Bouddha following this fake khandro, this lama, that rinpoche. Im also not his student.

I have seen him in 2013, at the shop where he buys his chod drums to sell to his students in Canada and Europe. Then again this year in Bouddha, where he was walking around with his student. He stays in Sakya Tharlam guesthouse, and was there til slightly after the earthquake.

Rinpoche implies Tulku, and tulku implies Rinpoche. You cant be neither.

This same question pop up to me, in the flesh, as a female incee ask me abt this person. And she quoted all these 'evidence' with pictures etc etc, with Tenga rinpoche and Karmapa. I said if he's who he says he is, its easy to prove. I told her to go and ask Sangye Nyenpa, boudha is only 40 mins to benchen gompa.
She chickend out. Truth hurts and not alot of people are willing to face the truth.
philji

Post by philji »

Thankfully we do have good teachers to guide us.... Let us hope there are also good students.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Let's be clear - the title Rinpoche does not mean someone is a tulku, which is why we have titles like Khen Rinpoche.

Actually, Rinpoche is a title given to your teacher, particularly one who has imparted liberating instructions.

One doesn't have to be a tulku to be a teacher; some tulkus, even real ones, are corrupt people and unfit teachers.

I know nothing about this Chodpa lama. However, if his father was a lineage holder it is likely he gave his son permission to teach, Tibetans operate like that.

PS: I am a Sakya monk, and I know several tulkus who do not have monasteries or sanghas. Not all reincarnations are 'high' Lamas. However, after a couple of visits to Taiwan or Singapore even the reincarnation of a monastery cook can become a 'His Holiness', as the red envelopes accumulate...
philji

Post by philji »

Thank you Kunga for making clear what I was trying to say... :namaste:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I removed a post with personal attacking speech and the answer to that.
Claims have to be made within the limits of Right Speech. If anybody has a reason for this topic to be unlocked, just inform the team via PM.
:namaste:

Edit: Unlocked on request.
Last edited by Ayu on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note about unlocking.
TashiBob4671

Post by TashiBob4671 »

What Chöd does Chödpa Lama Rinpoche teach? Is it from his family tradition or is it a Karma Kagyu Chöd learned from Tenga Rinpoche? Does he ever come to America to teach?

Thank you for any answers! :anjali:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There are kernels of truth in Sleepyhead's post...one should check a lama's credentials; it's relatively easy to call oneself a high name and teach some techniques one has learned. It's another to have authorization to transmit lineage.

"Incees" (I assume he means "Injees") are "English speakers," though sometimes the term is used for any non-Tibetan. I always correct Tibetans who call me "Injee"--I am an "Ah Ari". :)
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
philji

Post by philji »

I believe Chodpa lama teaches Lujin Chod within Kagyu tradition.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

I have also heard quite a few unfavorable things about him from a Benchen monk ( the gompa which his claimed tsawai lama is the head of )

There seemed to be no indication of him being seriously endorsed by that gompa expect his own. Yes he did received some said initiations from his said lama, but that doesn't endorse him, lama's are compassionate they teach beings..

I ran into him doing Kora at Swayambu stupa, I didn't like his vibe. He said at one point " I have no job, doing the mani is my job" And held up his mala

Knowing about his teachings tours, and many donations received by students. I responded " Well somebodies paying for that"

The bottom line is BE CAREFUL ... Real lama's do exist, but we must be careful, searching is important. However what is extremely important which is not necessarily emphasized enough is accumulating merit, and making aspiration prayers. Then when the time is ripe we will meet our lama.

Tashi delek
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Harold Musetescu

Post by Harold Musetescu »

Wangpo (Chodpa Lama Rinpoche) use to tell me years ago that he did his "Families" Gesar of Ling Mo divination practice.

Years later i saw on his father(Kalsang Rinpoche) and brother's (Karma Rinpoche) website that they listed only themselves as authorized to perform this practice. Wangpo, Chodpa Lama Rinpoche's name was not mentioned.

Kalsang Rinpoche was my Root Guru until his passing. He was a member of the Mukpo family clan which includes Trungpa Rinpoche and its head is King Gesar of Ling.

I confronted Wangpo about what I had discovered.

He claimed that he was NOW doing a different system of Gesar of Ling Mo divination.

On a previous occasion Wangpo told me about how he FAILED his father's test to see if he was a YOGI.

Wangpo was a monk at one time and he told his father Kalsang Rinpoche he wanted to leave the monastery to be a YOGI.

His father told him that he could but he would have to leave his robes behind and walk back to his family home NAKED.

Wangpo failed his father's YOGI TEST.

When I first knew him he wore western clothes and had a regular hair style. He told me to call he "Wangpo just Wangpo". He stated that he was not a LAMA nor RINPOCHE and I should address him as Wangpo.

Years later I ran into him and he was not doing the YOGI thing with long hair and robes. I asked him what was up with his new look and he told me he was doing it for his followers. That he was dressing like a YOGI because that is what western students expected from a YOGI. He was doing the new look to SELL himself to attract followers.

I also asked him what was up with the RINPOCHE title since he was Karma Kagyu and the title in that sect was for Tulkus and Tulkus only. Wangpo said that his students were calling him by that name but he wasn't. I stated that he should tell his students to stop calling him by that title but all these years later he still continues to use RINPOCHE. I guess he would know what SELLS to westerners.

Wangpo's relationship with H.E. Ayang Rinpoche is very simple they are bother in laws. Ayang Rinpoche is married to Wangpo's sister.

Hope this helps you have a better picture of Wangpo of should I say the "Venerable Chodpa Lama Rinpoche".
Harold Musetescu

Hello

I have attached a link below and a copy of the relevant website page from kayunalanda.org.

This is the website for the late Lama Yogi Kalsang Rinpoche and H.E. Karma Rinpoche who are Chodpa Lama Rinpoche's father and brother.

You will read that Chodpa Lama Rinpoche is not officially authorized to perform their family lineage practice of the "Gesar of Ling Mo Divination system".

Their website clearly states that Lama Yogi Kalsang Rinpoche (and his son) Karma Rinpoche are the only living holders of this tradition.

http://kagyunalanda.org/article.php?page_id=77

"
MISSION
Boddhisattva Trust is the charitable, non-governmental organization (NGO) registered with the government of India that supports Kagyu Nalanda Institute. It is dedicated to promoting the Buddha’s way of life through preserving his teachings on the interconnection between people and their environments, and the importance of establishing and protecting sustainable environments.

FOUNDER AND CO-FOUNDERS' MESSAGE

These are challenging times, with a greater than ever need to work for the common good. We are actively re-engaging in our projects to meet this need. We appeal to everyone to join us in renewing our commitment to see our projects finished by 2015. With your generosity we will realize our dream: the completion and endurance of the Boddhisattva Trust master plan and Kagyu Nalanda Institute campus environment. Our deepest appreciation and gratitude to everyone who has, and continues to, support our vision through ongoing contributions of time, energy and money.

FOUNDER AND CO-FOUNDER BACKGROUNDS
The Venerable K.C. Lama Kalsang Rinpoche was born in Tibet 95 years ago, and came to India in 1961. He is an accomplished Vajrayana master who has been a source of inspiration and healing to the people of Bylakuppe for 50 years. He first visited the West in 1996, and continues to travel internationally offering insightful teachings and compassionate guidance. Over the years, Rinpoche’s powerful spiritual healings have successfully helped people where other methods have failed.

Orgyen Samten Lingpa (Karma Rinpoche) was recognized as the reincarnation of Orgyen Samten Lingpa by H.H. the 16th Karmapa and Nyingma masters; and endorsed by H.H. the 17th Karmapa, Orgyen Trinley Dorje. He studied under H.E. K.C. Ayang Rinpoche until he entered Buddhist college; and has been under the constant mentorship of K.C. Lama Kalsang Rinpoche for the past 20 years. While on pilgrimage to Tibet in 1991, he realized his passion: preserving his father’s healing tradition and the Gesar of Ling’s Mo Divination system; and creating Boddhisattva Trust and Kagyu Nalanda Institute. In 1999, K. C. Lama Kalsang Rinpoche named him heir apparent.

GESAR DIVINATION AND HEALING CENTER
The Divination and Healing Center is the setting where Venerable K.C. Lama Kalsang Rinpoche offers his transformative healthcare services. It is named after the legendary warrior King Gesar of Ling, K.C. Lama Kalsang Rinpoche is a direct descendant, inheriting the Gesar of Ling Mo divination from his own father and passing it on to his own son, Orgen Samten Lingpa (Karma Rinpoche).It is the oldest Tibetan divination system used to identify obstacles to a person's well-being. Once identified, Rinpoche removes the obstruction through prayers, blessing and rituals. K.C. Lama Kalsang Rinpoche and Orgen Samten Lingpa (Karma Rinpoche) are the only living holders of this tradition.

Kagyu Nalanda Monastery P.O. Bylakuppe Mysore District 571 104 Karnataka
[email protected] Tel: +91-8223 252919 Fax: +91-8223 253666
Copyright © 2011 KAGYU NALANDA All Rights Reserved."

:yinyang:
Harold Musetescu

This is a link for Chodpa Lama Rinpoche's website.

Link at www.machigling.org/biography/

As I have previously posted that on Chodpa Lama Rinpoche's late father Yogi Lama Kalsang Rinpoche and this brother's Karma Rinpoche's have a website. It stated that Kalsang(deceased) and Karma Rinpoche are only two living masters of this family lineage of the "Gesar of Ling Mo Divination tradition".

Yet from Chodpa Lama Rinpoche's website he claims to be a master of this family tradition.

Chödpa Lama received formal meditation instruction, various practices and retreat guidance, and also received the heart teachings from his father. His father, Yogi Kalsang Rinpoche further taught his sons, including Chödpa Lama, the second eldest son, specific healing techniques and practices known only in the family lineage. As per the Tibetan tradition, Ven. Chödpa Lama spent many years at his father’s side, learning and performing the actual practices of Juthig Mo Divination and Chöd practice. In 1990 Rinpoche completed a retreat on this particular Juthig Mo Divination System, and OFFICIALLY began to practice as a healer. 

These foundational years of Chöd practice, the practice of Juthig Mo Divination, retreat, formal meditation training, and the lineage methods of Juthig Mo, fused to create a highly enriched method which shapes Chödpa Lama Rinpoche’s capacity as both a healer and divination master.
End quote
:yinyang:
philji

Post by philji »

He does not seem to say that he is eligible to give Gesar of Ling Mo and healing..

Return to “Chod”