The Sacred Space

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Mr. G

Re: The Sacred Space

Post by Mr. G »

• How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

• How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
*Om*

Post by *Om* »

These are all taken at our local Tibetan Cultural Center/Monastery

One of the stupas on the grounds

The sand mandala that is housed inside

Close up of the sand to see how intricate it really is

Prayer Wheels

Close ups

Inside the temple (I thought I had photos of outside but I don't seem to find them)Image

These next photos I think are really neat. I love seeing the monks interact with children and the visit had a great impact on my children. (the little girl in purple is one of mine)

He's helping the little ones make little paper prayer flags. My kids treasure theirs.

I hope it's ok I shared all of these.
Bhavana

Post by Bhavana »

Tara, your watercolor by your friend, Ven. Gyatso, is beautiful. There is a thangka painting class coming up in my area this fall, I am hoping to get in on it.

Om, thank you for posting the photos of the monastery and of your children, what a great experience for them! Is this monastery in San Antonio?
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Bhavana wrote:Tara, your watercolor by your friend, Ven. Gyatso, is beautiful. There is a thangka painting class coming up in my area this fall, I am hoping to get in on it.
Thank you. Sadly I am unable to pass your comment on to Ven. Gyatso as he died suddenly aged 38 on 29th July. I hope you get into the Thangka painting class. I was very fortunate to a have had a private guided tour, accompanied by Ven. Gyatso, of the Thangka painting classroom/studio, along with all the other classroom/workshops, at the Norbulingka Institute located near Dharamsala. The Thangkas created there are amazing.

Regards,
Bhavana

Post by Bhavana »

oh, I am sorry to hear about your friend and teacher. It is nice that you have his beautiful work of art to remember him by.

I am thinking of buying one, found some originals for sale for $50, proceeds going to Hosier Women's School - a school for poor and uneducated women in Nepal. I would like to have one to hang behind my bedroom altar.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Somewhere along the Anapurna Circuit
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Kamakura, Japan
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Tsedruk monastery in Khyungpo.

Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Daimoku
Sun, Star, Moon Gods
Kitayama Hommonji, Fuji-no-miya, Japan

Entrance
Nishiyama Hommonji, Fuji-no-miya, Japan

Site of Nichiren's Hermitage
Minobu-san, Japan
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Sariputta
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Maitreya in Tushita
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Kiyomizu-dera, Kyoto, Japan
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Mr. G wrote:Image
Wow.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

A picture I took at Byodo-in Temple in Hawaii. There's a very large Amida statue inside the open-air shrine room. I took some pictures of the statue but haven't yet developed the film.

Beautiful, peaceful place with temple cats sleeping peacefully among the wild chickens and birds.
Attachments
20181014_093648.jpg
20181014_093648.jpg (407.99 KiB) Viewed 25741 times
Namu Amida Butsu
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

the foto isn't mine.
Attachments
1bzgkalyZoU.jpg
1bzgkalyZoU.jpg (145.86 KiB) Viewed 24815 times
stay open, spread love
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Byodo-in Temple in The Valley of the Temples (this is mostly a cemetery) in Kaneohe, O'ahu, Hawai'i

“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Thanks for reviving this beautiful thread!
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center

Return to “Lounge”