New Fivefold Mahamudra ngöndro

Palzang Jangchub

New Fivefold Mahamudra ngöndro

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Kyabjé Garchen Rinpoche recently composed a new Fivefold Mahamudra ngöndro sadhana, entitled The Excellent Path to Enlightenment (Wyl. Inga ldan sngon 'gro byang chub lam bzang), with the expressed intention of making ngöndro practical for his students leading modern lives. It is shorter than even Drikung Kyabgön Chetsang Rinpoche's text, The Stream of Blessings: The Heart Essence of the Practice of the Fivefold Path of Mahamudra, and possibly requires less accumulations than the average ngöndro.

The sadhana was translated into English by Ina Dhargye in advance of teachings on the text given at the 2016 Amidewa Retreat, held in Singapore under the guidance of both Chetsang Rinpoche and Garchen Rinpoche. It is as yet unavailable for purchase anywhere online, however, and has proved elusive for me personally. Transcripts of the teachings are said to be forthcoming as well.

Thus far the only students who have definitely received the transmission (kindly given directly from Garchen Rinpoche himself, despite the pain and strain on his eyes) were those in attendance at the conclusion of the teachings for the 2016 Spring Retreat held at Gar Drölma Chöling in Dayton, OH, and those who attended the Fivefold Mahamudra teachings on the text during the 2016 Amidewa Retreat in Singapore. Further transmissions may have taken place during Garchen Rinpoche's subsequent visits to Germany, Sweden, and Ukraine, though this is unconfirmed.

I was among the attendees at Gar Drölma Chöling, and thus have the lung, but am having trouble getting my hands on the text, despite the translation being finished back in July. Did anyone here attend the retreat in Singapore and record audio of the teachings and/or take notes that they're willing to share? Does anyone have a copy of the sadhana they can scan and email me?

Normally i wouldn't ask, but I was promised a free electronic copy of the sadhana by Ina herself which has yet to reach my inbox. No doubt she is busy translating for Garchen Rinpoche, has little to no internet access while traveling in Tibet, or else is simply can't answer all the myriad emails she receives in a timely manner. As a normal human being who often has direct access to Rinpoche, I can only imagine her email is constantly flooded with questions and requests. I fully intend to purchase a hard copy of the pecha when it becomes available in support of Rinpoche and Ina, and so that I don't always have to have my smartphone handy and strain my eyes when I go to practice.

If no one else steps forward, I am currently in contact with the Mahasiddha Garchen Teachings Preservation Project, Drigar Thubten Dargye Ling, and Garchen Institute. Updates will be posted here as they become available.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Lhasa

Re: New Fivefold Mahamudra ngöndro

Post by Lhasa »

[email protected]
They just announced publishing this text. Free, only mailing fees. One copy/person. Write and give them your address and they will get back to you with the mailing cost.
Palzang Jangchub

Thank you for pointing that out, Lhasa!

They messaged me back on Facebook a few days ago saying there would be an announcement soon, but each time I checked there were no new posts.

I first learned about this pecha directly from Ina, back when she was still translating it. That was in May, and she had to be finished with the final translation by July, when Garchen Rinpoche gave teachings on the text at the Amidewa Retreat in Singapore.

Ever since then it's been a game of email tag trying to track down a copy of the sadhana. For a while there it seemed like no one knew who was actually working on it. Glad to have perseverance finally pay off.

Still, if anyone was in attendance at the Amidewa Retreat and has notes and/or recordings, please do let me know. There was mention of a transcript being made, but this is still as yet unconfirmed.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Palzang Jangchub

Garchen Rinpoche's new ngöndro
Garchen Rinpoche's new ngöndro
15284858_1856348074584317_6754999783329756201_n.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 2661 times

Palzang Jangchub

Garchen Buddhist Institute now has an electronic version of the sadhana that they can send to Rinpoche's students via email. This is a great alternative for those who can't wait for a hard copy from Singapore. Donations are welcomed, as always.

Contact GBI directly for a copy:
[email protected]

Palzang Jangchub

Just as an update, Gar Drölma Chöling (located in Dayton, OH) will be doing group practice of Garchen Rinpoche's new ngöndro on Sunday mornings @ 10:00-11:15 a.m. in place of White Tara and Achi practice as of 2017.

Khenpo Samdup was reportedly very happy to hear that the text with translation has finally been published, and decided to institute this practice for the forthcoming year accordingly. Gar Drölma was where the first public transmission of this text was given (at my fervent urging and Khenpo Samdup's request, which Garchen Rinpoche granted).

Still not heard anything back from the Mahasiddha Garchen Teaching Preservation Project about the shipping fees for a hard copy of the sadhana. Has anyone else had better luck? No doubt they are swamped with requests...

Palzang Jangchub

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:03 pm Garchen Rinpoche gave teachings on the text at the Amidewa Retreat in Singapore. [...] If anyone was in attendance at the Amidewa Retreat and has notes and/or recordings, please do let me know. There was mention of a transcript being made, but this is still as yet unconfirmed.
Still looking for notes and/or audio recordings of the Fivefold Mahamudra and FFM ngöndro teachings given by Garchen Rinpoche at the Amidewa Retreat held June 30 - July 3, 2016.

It appears that Drigar Thubten Dhargye Ling has 3 videos of the event up on their YouTube page, but I'd prefer not to sift through 28 hours of video if I don't have to... Has anyone here seen these vids and noted the times for the relevant portions?

I will try contacting DTDL and the Mahasiddha Garchen Teachings Preservation Project again for the transcripts. With any luck I'll post that here for the benefit of others.

Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Lung and Teaching on the various aspects here.

Like how the Mandala Offering is to help reduce Self-Grasping
Palzang Jangchub

Thank you, Empty Desire! I'd basically forgotten about these teachings at Rinchen Chöling, so I appreciate you bringing them back to my attention.

Return to “Kagyu”