Song of the Spring Queen

Konchog1

Song of the Spring Queen

Post by Konchog1 »

Do anyone have information on this liturgy from the Guru Puja? History, benefits, etc.

All I know is that it is by "Chang-kya Dro-je Chang" and also known as 'A Song to Move the Dakinis' Hearts'.

Thank you.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Fortyeightvows

Re: Song of the Spring Queen

Post by Fortyeightvows »

It is one of my favorite pieces of liturgy. I'll see if I can dig up anything on it later in the week.
I think it was written from the panchen lamas own visions of the deitys.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Fortyeightvows wrote:It is one of my favorite pieces of liturgy. I'll see if I can dig up anything on it later in the week.
I think it was written from the panchen lamas own visions of the deitys.
Thank you! I'll be looking forward to it.

It is beautiful. My New Year's Resolution is to memorize the tune and words.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I don't have so many resources on this at hand. But I can share a few things.
The song appears in three tsok practices I'm familiar with, that is guru puja, fpmt's heruka vajrasattva from lama yeshe, and the VY tsok from Pabongka Rinpoche . In that one according to Pabongka, one either sings the song of the queen of spring or the "vajra song as it occurs in the hevajra rite".

Also there is a teaching from Pabongka called 'song of the spring queen on the experiences of the path' it is advice given on retreat to 'Upasaka Dorje Rabten from upper Rongthang'
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Fortyeightvows wrote:I don't have so many resources on this at hand. But I can share a few things.
The song appears in three tsok practices I'm familiar with, that is guru puja, fpmt's heruka vajrasattva from lama yeshe, and the VY tsok from Pabongka Rinpoche . In that one according to Pabongka, one either sings the song of the queen of spring or the "vajra song as it occurs in the hevajra rite".

Also there is a teaching from Pabongka called 'song of the spring queen on the experiences of the path' it is advice given on retreat to 'Upasaka Dorje Rabten from upper Rongthang'
Thank you!

By fpmt's heruka vajrasattva, do you mean the Tsog?

Also, do you know what "Spring Queen" means? I assume it's an name for VY?

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Konchog1 wrote: By fpmt's heruka vajrasattva, do you mean the Tsog?
Yes.
Konchog1 wrote:Also, do you know what "Spring Queen" means? I assume it's an name for VY?
I don't know... Maybe a reference to the bees taking honey? :shrug: I really don't know.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

If I remember correctly, the author you mention as Changkya Dorjechang is the third Changkya, Rolpai Dorje. The song is sung after tasting the tsog to enhance bliss. Because it has a very secret meaning, commentaries are probably not available publically. Lama Zopa Rinpoche makes a few remarks about it near the bottom of this page.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

A few things to add.
The piece of liturgy we are discussing is also contained in zong rinpoche's chod sadhana (its been more then ten years since I've read it, so it totally slipped my mind)

Next there seems to be another text translated into the same name in english. this one is a history by the fifth dalai lama:
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... _of_Spring

https://books.google.com/books?id=SvPaC ... ka&f=false

Also there is a text mentioned in the book 'Apparitions of the Self: The Secret Autobiographies of a Tibetan Visionary' which is written as 'Distant Song of the Spring Queen' (page 54) The translator on page 91 gives the wylie for this but adds she did not find the text.

https://books.google.com/books?id=qMUh9 ... en&f=false
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

“Song of the Spring Queen" was composed by Je Tsongkhapa. It was offered to Je Tsongkhapa by a host of Dakinis when he was living in Ganden Yangpa Chen. There are several commentaries to this song, such as those by Gungtang Tenpai Dronme and Kachen Yeshe Gyaltsen but I haven't seen any of these commentaries in English.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

jmlee369 wrote:If I remember correctly, the author you mention as Changkya Dorjechang is the third Changkya, Rolpai Dorje. The song is sung after tasting the tsog to enhance bliss. Because it has a very secret meaning, commentaries are probably not available publically. Lama Zopa Rinpoche makes a few remarks about it near the bottom of this page.
Thank you. I think Rolpai Dorje is the author. Where did you read that it enhances bliss?
Fortyeightvows wrote:A few things to add.
The piece of liturgy we are discussing is also contained in zong rinpoche's chod sadhana (its been more then ten years since I've read it, so it totally slipped my mind)

Next there seems to be another text translated into the same name in english. this one is a history by the fifth dalai lama:
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... _of_Spring

https://books.google.com/books?id=SvPaC ... ka&f=false

Also there is a text mentioned in the book 'Apparitions of the Self: The Secret Autobiographies of a Tibetan Visionary' which is written as 'Distant Song of the Spring Queen' (page 54) The translator on page 91 gives the wylie for this but adds she did not find the text.

https://books.google.com/books?id=qMUh9 ... en&f=false
Thank you. I saw the history text. I'm pretty sure they aren't related, but the "Spring Queen" might be the same one.
Tsongkhapafan wrote:“Song of the Spring Queen" was composed by Je Tsongkhapa. It was offered to Je Tsongkhapa by a host of Dakinis when he was living in Ganden Yangpa Chen. There are several commentaries to this song, such as those by Gungtang Tenpai Dronme and Kachen Yeshe Gyaltsen but I haven't seen any of these commentaries in English.
Awesome! What's the source? Was Changkya Rinpoche the editor then?

I have the Kachen Yeshe Gyaltsen commentary on the Guru Puja in English but he doesn't even mention the song.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Tsongkhapafan wrote:“Song of the Spring Queen" was composed by Je Tsongkhapa. It was offered to Je Tsongkhapa by a host of Dakinis when he was living in Ganden Yangpa Chen. There are several commentaries to this song, such as those by Gungtang Tenpai Dronme and Kachen Yeshe Gyaltsen but I haven't seen any of these commentaries in English.
I'm guessing this comes from the Ear Whispered tradition, and the notion that practices like Ganden Lhagyama and Lama Chopa come from the emanated volume?
Konchog1 wrote:
jmlee369 wrote:If I remember correctly, the author you mention as Changkya Dorjechang is the third Changkya, Rolpai Dorje. The song is sung after tasting the tsog to enhance bliss. Because it has a very secret meaning, commentaries are probably not available publically. Lama Zopa Rinpoche makes a few remarks about it near the bottom of this page.
Thank you. I think Rolpai Dorje is the author. Where did you read that it enhances bliss?
In the Pabongkha Rinpoche's Heruka Tsog, the introductory note to the song says "In order to encourage bliss, recite to a sweet melody:"
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

jmlee369 wrote:
I'm guessing this comes from the Ear Whispered tradition, and the notion that practices like Ganden Lhagyama and Lama Chopa come from the emanated volume?

They do :smile:

Return to “Gelug”