Dzogchen and the Two Truths Doctrine

manjusri

Dzogchen and the Two Truths Doctrine

Post by manjusri »

Can anyone enlighten me on where Dzogchen stands relative to the Two Truths Doctrine? I have come across the view that there is only a "single truth" in Dzogchen? Moreover, did the historical Buddha teach some variant of the two truths? My understanding is that Nagarjuna based his doctrine on the words of the historical Buddha (Kaccayanagotta Sutta).
Malcolm

Re: Dzogchen and the Two Truths Doctrine

Post by Malcolm »

manjusri wrote:Can anyone enlighten me on where Dzogchen stands relative to the Two Truths Doctrine? I have come across the view that there is only a "single truth" in Dzogchen? Moreover, did the historical Buddha teach some variant of the two truths? My understanding is that Nagarjuna based his doctrine on the words of the historical Buddha (Kaccayanagotta Sutta).
The two truths do not exist for Dzogchen. As the Soaring Garuda states:

• Since phenomena and nonphenomena have always been merged and are inseparable,
    there is no further need to explain an “ultimate phenomenon.”
And Mañjuśrīmitra explains that the two truths are the same:
  • Therefore, because awakening and nonawakening are the same in terms of absence of characteristics, there is nothing to accept or reject.
    In accordance with that meaning, all those explanations
    of the nominal ultimate, the absence of arising and ceasing, sameness,
    nonduality, beyond thought, emptiness, the dharmadhātu,
    freedom from expression and convention, and so on are neither ultimate nor relative.
    If it is said, “This is the path in accordance with the ultimate,” that is relative.
manjusri

Post by manjusri »

Thank you Malcolm. So, generally, a Dzogchen teacher would not even teach this doctrine to his/her students?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

manjusri wrote:Thank you Malcolm. So, generally, a Dzogchen teacher would not even teach this doctrine to his/her students?

It is necessary for any discussion of the vehicles of cause and result.
manjusri

Post by manjusri »

A follow-up question: given that the two truths don't exist in Dzogchen, can one even say that there is a path to realizing rigpa or beings who attain it? How does one hold onto the Middle Way here without falling into nihilism?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

manjusri wrote:A follow-up question: given that the two truths don't exist in Dzogchen, can one even say that there is a path to realizing rigpa or beings who attain it? How does one hold onto the Middle Way here without falling into nihilism?
When existence is not established nonexistence is not established and thus there is no nihilism into which one could fall.
Felix

Post by Felix »

manjusri wrote:A follow-up question: given that the two truths don't exist in Dzogchen, can one even say that there is a path to realizing rigpa or beings who attain it? How does one hold onto the Middle Way here without falling into nihilism?
If I can add (possibly superflously) to the above excellent replies, in ordinal mind there are no extremes, so no 'middle way' between extremes.
Felix

Post by Felix »

That should have read 'original mind'.. :emb:
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Malcolm wrote:
When existence is not established nonexistence is not established and thus there is no nihilism into which one could fall.
:bow:
srivijaya

Post by srivijaya »

manjusri wrote:did the historical Buddha teach some variant of the two truths?
To my knowledge, the historical Buddha never taught this. The sutta you mentioned kind of makes this clear:
"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
My understanding is that Nagarjuna based his doctrine on the words of the historical Buddha (Kaccayanagotta Sutta).
As far as I can see it was his own interpretation, rather than the original Buddha's - unless anyone knows otherwise?

:namaste:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Which 'original Buddha'?
Thomas Amundsen

srivijaya wrote: As far as I can see it was his own interpretation, rather than the original Buddha's - unless anyone knows otherwise?
Do you mean Samantabhadra?
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

srivijaya wrote:historical Buddha
Them's fightin' words on this DW, friend. Tread carefully.

;)
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

manjusri wrote:Thank you Malcolm. So, generally, a Dzogchen teacher would not even teach this doctrine to his/her students?
Truly dzogchen -atiyoga- is not a doctrine. Since is not a doctrine, there is no "subdoctrines" nor any need for them.

There are only a few precepts and groups of methods related to those precepts, organized with specific purposes related to their specific application. Nothing else is needed in the conceptual level.

I'm no authority, nor hold any ultimate knowledge, but is evident that atiyoga has nothing to do with an idea nor a piece of paper. Maybe that's why a Rigdzin is needed hahahahaha
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

As Thinley Norbu says in "Echoes":
If we follow a Lama who has wisdom mind, he will be able to introduce the fundamental nature without using any concepts, and without our having to think about it or become involved in any idea of it as anything at all. We will experience it directly. Without any concept at all, we will understand the Dzogchen view.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:As Thinley Norbu says in "Echoes":
If we follow a Lama who has wisdom mind, he will be able to introduce the fundamental nature without using any concepts, and without our having to think about it or become involved in any idea of it as anything at all. We will experience it directly. Without any concept at all, we will understand the Dzogchen view.
As Javier says, we need to meet a Vidyādhara. While there are many good teachers alive today, there is only only one living Vidyādhara of Dzogchen teachings. Everyone better meet him while they still have the chance if they are truly interested in Dzogchen teachings. Everyone one else can stick with their sadhanas, mālas, vajras, and bells.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Malcolm wrote:
As Javier says, we need to meet a Vidyādhara. While there are many good teachers alive today, there is only only one living Vidyādhara of Dzogchen teachings. Everyone better meet him while they still have the chance if they are truly interested in Dzogchen teachings. Everyone one else can stick with their sadhanas, mālas, vajras, and bells.
Agreed.

Please do as Malcolm said if you are interested.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
I think you limit yourself in an unnecessary way there Malcolm, in fact I know you do.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Thomas Amundsen

Malcolm wrote: While there are many good teachers alive today, there is only only one living Vidyādhara of Dzogchen teachings.
While I have the utmost respect for Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, and have no doubt that he is a Vidyadhara, this is just silly. He is not the only one alive today.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
I think you limit yourself in an unnecessary way there Malcolm, in fact I know you do.

/magnus
You are missing the point, my friend. What I am saying is that people chase after this sadhana and that sadhana and miss the chance to meet a great master. There was once this guy who went to Nepal, and because he did not know who Tulku Orgyen was, missed a chance to go see him because he was more interested in Lamdre. I think you know who I am talking about.

M

Return to “Dzogchen”