I'm new here and would like to know more about Buddhism.

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
ThatSadHippie

I'm new here and would like to know more about Buddhism.

Post by ThatSadHippie »

:soapbox: Hello, I'm new here. Can anyone tell me the basics of Buddhism?
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: I'm new here and would like to know more about Buddhism.

Post by kirtu »

phpBB [video]
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:reading:
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:

You may like to check out the Discovering Mahayana Buddhism Subforum, which has a large collection of educational materials for the various sects of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Wikipedia is a passable resource to learn the basic background IMO. There is just too much information to put into a forum reply.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

kirtu wrote:
phpBB [video]
This is probably a good place to start.

In a nutshell the Buddhism teaches you how to recognize suffering and it's causes and how the end of suffering comes about.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

phpBB [video]
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Shakyamuni Buddha's birth at Lumbini over 2500 years ago, from "Little Buddha":

phpBB [video]

Prince Siddhartha wondering what exists beyond the walls of his palace:

phpBB [video]

Prince Siddhartha venturing beyond the walls of his palace for the first time as his father, King Shuddhodana, looks on. The visit was staged but suddenly Prince Siddhartha see's the first of the four divine visions, old age :

phpBB [video]

Prince Siddhartha confronts sickness and death for the first time.

phpBB [video]

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Prince Siddhartha, after resolving to find release from the unending cycle of birth, old age, sickness and death followed by rebirth, becomes a sadhu and engages in austerities:

phpBB [video]

After six years of the harshest austerities and the most intense meditation possible, Siddhartha decides to give up the path of austerities and accepts a bowl of milk rice from a passing girl. His fellow sadhus abandon him but Siddhartha asks the gods for a prophecy to determine if enlightenment is in fact possible:

phpBB [video]

Siddhartha travels to the site of present day Bodh Gaya and meditates under a tree. Mara and his daughters, the forces of distraction and obstacles, create illusions to try to prevent Siddhartha from attaining enlightenment:

phpBB [video]

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Aspiring.Monk

Post by Aspiring.Monk »

kirtu wrote:Prince Siddhartha, after resolving to find release from the unending cycle of birth, old age, sickness and death followed by rebirth, becomes a sadhu and engages in austerities:

phpBB [video]

After six years of the harshest austerities and the most intense meditation possible, Siddhartha decides to give up the path of austerities and accepts a bowl of milk rice from a passing girl. His fellow sadhus abandon him but Siddhartha asks the gods for a prophecy to determine if enlightenment is in fact possible:

phpBB [video]

Siddhartha travels to the site of present day Bodh Gaya and meditates under a tree. Mara and his daughters, the forces of distraction and obstacles, create illusions to try to prevent Siddhartha from attaining enlightenment:

phpBB [video]
I have seen some rather negative comments online about this movie, but I absolutely love it. I still watch it to this day. Glad to see that someone else enjoys it as well. :namaste:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Aspiring.Monk wrote: I have seen some rather negative comments online about this movie, but I absolutely love it. I still watch it to this day. Glad to see that someone else enjoys it as well. :namaste:
Well, it could have been a stronger movie. But IMHO it has it's merits.

I have friends who did not like it at all though.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Introductions”