Dharmata teachings.

Felix

Re: Dharmata teachings.

Post by Felix »

I can't speak for anyone else but I was just surprised that such slight stuff was under a forum marked as being for Dzogchen.
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

Felix wrote:I can't speak for anyone else but I was just surprised that such slight stuff was under a forum marked as being for Dzogchen.
Me too.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

DGA wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
DGA wrote:He's gone native in Marin County.
Actually, AT is based in Pt. Richmond and I believe he lives in Kensington. I wasn't trying to say that that video is somehow a Dzogchen teaching, and in fact I didn't really listen to it very carefully. It's just that this is the de facto AT thread and I like to keep track of his activities here. That Winter Feast for the Soul is not my kind of thing, but who knows, maybe people benefit from his association with it. Anyway the mods should feel free to delete my post if they see fit.
Gentrification in the East Bay is real...
Kensington has been a nice place to live for a long time. But you are correct, many neighborhoods in e.g. parts of Oakland and Berkeley have been pricing out the poor people. A small, unimpressive house at the right location in Berkeley goes for well over a million.

~~~

Regarding Anam Thubten and the video, I don't see what's the big deal. I've actually attended 2 of AT's talks a few years back in Point Richmond.I remember him talking about aging, sickness and death, compassion, and other basic Buddhist teachings. We meditated, took the refuges, and chanted the mantra in the Heart Sutra. I don't remember anything controversial.

He had quite an adoring following that I'm sure has only grown. My impression is that he was genuinely helping people and drawing people to Buddhist teachings who otherwise may not have had an interest.

I can see why people are objecting to this thread's placement in the Dzogchen forum though. It'd probably be more at home in the general "Tibetan Buddhism" forum.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Felix wrote:I can't speak for anyone else but I was just surprised that such slight stuff was under a forum marked as being for Dzogchen.

Ever hear of context? It's a thread which is nothing but AT's videos, not a thread marked "officially vetted Dzogchen teachings that everyone will agree on."

People are welcome to their opinion on whether or not AT generally teaches Dzogchen, but I hardly think it's controversial that one video out of many posted in a thread specifically for his teachings has a universalist bent, and is through some non - Buddhist organization, you could find the same thing with any number of teachers. Seems like exceptionally nitpicky behavior, it's not as if the video presents itself as something it's not.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Ever hear of context?
Yes, that's why I think content like the one in the video is out of context of a "Dzogchen" subforum. I had the same opinion and posted similiar things, back when Khaita was discussed in the thread about the Dzogchen Community, so I don't think I am nit-picking.

KY
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Karma_Yeshe wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Ever hear of context?
Yes, that's why I think content like the one in the video is out of context of a "Dzogchen" subforum. I had the same opinion and posted similiar things, back when Khaita was discussed in the thread about the Dzogchen Community, so I don't think I am nit-picking.

KY
Well, I do. And this isn't a thread just about Dzogchen, it's specifically a thread for AT's teachings. If it were a more general Dzogchen thread maybe you'd have a point.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
muni

Post by muni »

I understand the reactions by the people here. Anam Thubten is here not like Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche La introducing. He is introducing but not in that way over the net. Maybe you could say his talks are for his students, as a bell: remember, and perhaps for all in general regarding Dharma. When I name few Nyingma Masters like Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche, Patrul Rinpoche, Anam Thubten Rinpoche and........ are all having different methods, different ways of working.
It cannot be my intention to slander anyone, or slander anyone’s teacher. The last video looks like a talk for a public which is not particular coming for any introduction, I don’t know what the event is, but Anam Thubten is talking by words which can reach all. I saw H H Dalai Lama mentioned here, he got teachings by the four main traditions of Tibet, his energy by his teachings is very much bringing by insight harmony, kindness, which are medicines so much necessary these days.

Best wishes.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

:good:

:group:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Lama Dechen Yeshe Wangmo on AT's new book "Big Sky":
https://www.vajrayanaworld.com/long-bits/big-sky
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
muni

Post by muni »

Poem book?
Invitation to 'be Nature'? Allowing to see what cannot be seen?
Words are opening freeing space in which words themselves fade. In that ‘space’ is no division since no one there to make one.

Gratitude!
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

New video posted, "Invoking Peace":
https://www.dharmata.org/teachings/
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

On Emptiness: With Anam Thubten and Elizabeth Mattis-Namgyel:

phpBB [video]
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Recorded on March 17, 2017, at Seattle Insight Meditation Center:

phpBB [video]

At around 15:30, he amusingly describes a scene from a movie which I think is actually "The Fifth Element".
Natan

Post by Natan »

Dharmata story. Never there was a time when no one saw nothing and knew it.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Crazywisdom wrote:Dharmata story. Never there was a time when no one saw nothing and knew it.
Mind blown.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

New video posted, "Practice of Non Attachment":
https://www.dharmata.org/teachings/
Old Stan

Post by Old Stan »

Very inspiring movie!
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Recorded July 21st 2017:

phpBB [video]

The actual talk begins around 29:00, before that is a period of meditation with some instructions at the beginning. I believe the translator is Arne Schelling.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

New video posted, "Beyond Fear":
https://www.dharmata.org/teachings
Rick

Post by Rick »

Thanks, dzogchungpa, for posting these Anam Thubten videos. He's my root teacher, so watching these is a bit like coming home for me.

Keep 'em comin'!

:namaste:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Return to “Dzogchen”