Repeating thought/sensation during meditation

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
onegaishimasu

Repeating thought/sensation during meditation

Post by onegaishimasu »

I have been doing meditation for a while now, and recently, the same recurring thought has been manifesting when I meditate. This thought is sexual in nature, and it involves an act which I find disgusting on the intellectual level. Thus, there is a sense of repulsion that "what if I actually would enjoy this?" I've realized that such thoughts are useless, so when I meditate I just gently, with loving-kindness, bring my mind back to the breath. However, this thought also involves a rather strong physical sensation, which isn't painful, but it gets very annoying. I try to accept its presence, but often this sensation, having arisen from the thoughts, will in itself cause the thought to arise again. It is rather frustrating ^-^. Is this something I must learn to live with? It's just that in meditation, when such a repetitive thought arises, it makes it more common outside of the meditation practice. In a way, meditation brings everything, good or bad, to the surface. Any helpful comments would be much appreciated.
ground

Re: Repeating thought/sensation during meditation

Post by ground »

I think this is a good example of perpetuation once we give in to habits.
If you want to break this circle imo there just are two means: not to follow the thought which has as a prerequisite some routine in letting thoughts arise and cease without "getting involved" or to effortfully practice a counter-thought as an antidot as soon as this thought you want to get rid of arises.

Kind regards
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I'm a big believer in guided meditations. My current teacher breaks into the meditation every ten or fifteen minutes with a very softly spoken reminder to check to see if the mind is wandering, and does it so skilfully that the meditation is barely disturbed. It actually becomes part of the meditation.

Or, you can do a fully guided meditation with a steady voice over that directs the mind clearly and immediately to the object of meditation. If you trust the guide, it works well. Sooner or later you will want to practice without a guide, but a good guide can get you past all kinds of problems, and establish good habits.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings onegaishimasu,

Welcome to Dharma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Good adherence to precepts and vows can help reduce clinging to sensual pleasures, which are at best distracting, at worst, bad karma.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Oho Retro is going for the root here! Well said.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
ground

Post by ground »

retrofuturist wrote:Good adherence to precepts and vows can help reduce clinging to sensual pleasures
Yes. Being mindful of vows is a good counter-thought. And if no vow has been taken continuously and repeatedly (!!) reflecting the disadvantages of thoughts inclined to unwholesome objects is helpful.

Kind regards
Laurazen

Post by Laurazen »

Have you tried using an object of meditation upon which to focus?

:namaste:
onegaishimasu

Post by onegaishimasu »

usually I use the breath as my object of attention.
onegaishimasu

Post by onegaishimasu »

so what sort of vows or objects should I use to combat such thoughts... I usually try to accept them mindfully, but it can get rather frustrating.
Laurazen

Post by Laurazen »

Oh, see. Very interesting. The breath can be challenging. You could try mantra but empowerment is recommended before recitation. Mantra keeps the mind pretty focused when the breath isn't enough for a busy mind. This is only in my personal experience.

It's just an idea. Maybe this is something you just need to keep doing though, just as you are.

Best,
Laura
BFS

Post by BFS »

Guided Meditations that you might find useful:

Grounding through awareness of the earth element:

http://web.me.com/ksnowsb108/B._Alan_Wa ... ement.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Body Scan helps release any hidden tensions:

http://web.me.com/ksnowsb108/B._Alan_Wa ... _Scan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindfulness of Breathing:

http://web.me.com/ksnowsb108/B._Alan_Wa ... ns_1_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sense of Ease:

http://web.me.com/ksnowsb108/B._Alan_Wa ... _Ease.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Meditation”