Solo retreat center in CO

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
Rinchen Dorje

Solo retreat center in CO

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I found this gem of a place in Colorado where you can go into the mountains for solo retreats. It is owned/operated by a Buddhist nun, Ani Tenzin Lhamo. A very nice house that she has set up specifically for this purpose. The rates are extremely reasonable as it is her desire to make it so that those of lesser means can also do retreats. Just thought i would share this with all of you. Her website is:
http://www.compassionbuddhahouse.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Chaz

Re: Solo retreat center in CO

Post by Chaz »

Fa Dao wrote:I found this gem of a place in Colorado where you can go into the mountains for solo retreats. It is owned/operated by a Buddhist nun, Ani Tenzin Lhamo. A very nice house that she has set up specifically for this purpose. The rates are extremely reasonable as it is her desire to make it so that those of lesser means can also do retreats. Just thought i would share this with all of you. Her website is:
http://www.compassionbuddhahouse.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is "etremely reasonable"?

I go on on retreat in Crestone at the Vajra Vidya center. Love it down there. I find it to be a very good place for retreat. I think it was Khenpo Tsültrim Gyamtso Rinpoche who said that Cretone was one of the best places on Earth for retreat practice.

I didn't know about Compassionate Buddha House. Seems like a nice place.

Have you been there?
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I think the 2 places might be connected somehow, not sure though. They are both in Crestone. She is charging appx $10 day, not including meals. I also saw Vajra Vidya house. If I remember correctly there is more of a set schedule there. For the most part you set your own retreat schedule here. And no, unfortunately I have not been there yet but am definitely planning on it in the future. I talked to her through email. Very nice nun.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Fa Dao wrote:I think the 2 places might be connected somehow, not sure though. They are both in Crestone. She is charging appx $10 day, not including meals. I also saw Vajra Vidya house. If I remember correctly there is more of a set schedule there. For the most part you set your own retreat schedule here. And no, unfortunately I have not been there yet but am definitely planning on it in the future. I talked to her through email. Very nice nun.
I don't know if the two are connected. VVRC is under the direction of Thrangu Rinpoche and Kagyu. I don't know about CB. Doesn't matter much. What matters is a proper container for practice and if CB has that (no reason to doubt that), fantastic!

$10/ night is pretty reasonable. Being able to set your own schedule is good. The house looks very nice.

Compare that to Dorje Kyung Dzong over to the East in Gardner is $35/night for pretty much the same thing (except you get a cabin). I have several friends who do retreat regularly at DKD and they love the place.

You're right about VVRC being regimented. They have a sshedule and they stick to it, especially where Rota is concerned. Group practices are a good thing in my opinion, but they are only recommended - you don't have to attend group practice. The food's pretty good and the rooms are nice. Ani Seltong and Khenpo Jigme are awesome.

I've looked into St Benedict's Monastery in Snowmass. Yes, they're Catholics (Trappists). It's also home to Father Thomas Keating, a well-known contemplative. I have contacted their retreat master and he told me they'd happily host and support a Buddhist's solitary retreat for as long as needed.

I think it all boils down to what you need for a retreat. I don't feel comfortable with a unsupported setting yet. I like not having to plan meals and having someone for counsel is a must. I think when I get to the point of needed a setting that's not quite so "busy" and I can stand my own cooking, Compassionate Buddha might be the place to go.

BTW, where are you located? Colorado somewhere?
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Albuquerque NM
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Fa Dao wrote:Albuquerque NM
That's awesome! Crestone is perfect for your locale. Lovely drive, too - 285 right past the vermiculite mine, the castle in Antonito, the Aligator farm and the UFO observatory. Outstanding! Actually it is a very nice drive we take 285 to Sante Fe.

And I can't think of a better place within reach that would be better for retreat.

Good luck!
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

There is a monestary in the pecos by Pecos on the way to jacks creek (Benedictine I think) that has seperate small structures for use and alternative group housing.
I didn't go there personally but they will accomodate Buddhists. It seemed reasonable the group housing slightly cheaper than Vajra Vidal. They will serve vegan meals if requested. As of at least a couple of years ago when I talked with them. They seemed
very nice.

Vajra Vidal if one is on break time between meditations just before dinner....a very nice hike or jog is a trail behind the place leading up the hill to a dirt road which directly leads followed right to the giant stupa. Took about a hour as I recall at a brisk pace. Nice to chant or sing mantras at that stupa. Quite a view as well. Along the way there are also some places by streams where perhaps it is thought water spirits may abide I have heard rumor of. One may see offerings and prayer flags and such at the stream. Many many prayer flags are at the stupa.
A lifetime solitary retreatant lives very close to the area of Vajra V. Those cabins or cabins very similiar to those descibed used to be owned by a couple who were devoted to dharma to my dim recollection.

VV always had and I'd guess probably still has at least one maybe more 3 year retreatants on site doing their thing. Through Crestone by the road leading towards the mountains there is a campground. ONe may add onto before or after a stay at this place when visiting VV. Though it is closed in the deep of winter. It is also quite nice. A trail leads up the mountain. The locals meet(or did meet)at a coffee place in Crestone on the weekend mornings some riding horse to it. Many retreat houses are present in this area. And another large golden stupa may be visualized from the giant stupa place to my dim recollection. Quite a magical place worth visiting even if just staying in the villiage. There is a hotel.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

Return to “Announcements”