Mahamudra : What do you plan to do after ngondro?

mindyourmind

Mahamudra : What do you plan to do after ngondro?

Post by mindyourmind »

For the Mahamudra practitioners here :

what are your plans after ngondro?

There is such a bewildering array of possibilities to choose from (or be instructed in), what do you intend to follow, and why?
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Chaz

Re: Mahamudra : What do you plan to do after ngondro?

Post by Chaz »

mindyourmind wrote:For the Mahamudra practitioners here :

what are your plans after ngondro?

There is such a bewildering array of possibilities to choose from (or be instructed in), what do you intend to follow, and why?

I intend to follow my Guru's instruction.

I'm so far from the completetion of my Ngondro practice that it seems pointless to make any sort of plans for Life After Ngondro. I have to finish the practice before I can go on to other practices, so I focus on the task at hand.

I'm making sufficent connection with the practice right now that if it turns out that Ngondro stays my main practice for the rest of my life, it will be enough.

All that said, I have a basic knowledge of what my post-Ngondro options are and when I finish Ngondro, I'll have a sit-down with my Guru and we'll decide what, if anything is next.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

In the Kagyu, what generally follows is Vajrayogini.
Ask your root lama.
tummo

Post by tummo »

Ask your lama, not internet!
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
- Buddha
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

tummo wrote:Ask your lama, not internet!
I was not asking for advice, tummo.

I was asking Mahamudra ngondro practitioners their opinion, their interests, their practice goals.

I asked that out of interest in the question, to see why people make these decisions, what motivates them.

This type of response is however all too frequent here at Dharma Wheel, and it is quite frustrating. Most discussions elicit the over-obvious 'ask your lama'. Why do we even call this a Buddhist discussion forum? Maybe this is why the Kagyu subforum is such a dismal effort. Maybe this is why there are so many more topics and discussions to be found over at the Dzogchen subforum.

Sheesh.

Namkhai Norbu
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

mindyourmind wrote:
tummo wrote:Ask your lama, not internet!
I was not asking for advice, tummo.

I was asking Mahamudra ngondro practitioners their opinion, their interests, their practice goals.

I asked that out of interest in the question, to see why people make these decisions, what motivates them.

This type of response is however all too frequent here at Dharma Wheel, and it is quite frustrating. Most discussions elicit the over-obvious 'ask your lama'. Why do we even call this a Buddhist discussion forum? Maybe this is why the Kagyu subforum is such a dismal effort. Maybe this is why there are so many more topics and discussions to be found over at the Dzogchen subforum.

Sheesh.
Or hopefully us Kagyu's are just too busy practicing to participate in endless forum chatter. :) One can wish at any rate. :P

I think the practice that you end up doing after ngöndro is quite a private and personal thing. To quote Gandalf in the lord of the rings: "keep it secret! keep it safe!"

While I haven't finished ngöndro myself, although I'm getting quite close, I do know what practice I'll be doing afterwards as I already talked to my teacher about it. But I don't really feel particularly comfortable (or see the point) about spreading it out across the interwebs, or even in my own sangha. So if other people feel the same way, that might be why you're not getting much of a response.

As to deciding what practice to do, I think the best way to pick what practice you do after you finish ngöndro is to pick the one that will enable you to be of the most benefit to sentient beings. And like other people said, I think your Guru would know that best.
DharmaKitty

Post by DharmaKitty »

As to deciding what practice to do, I think the best way to pick what practice you do after you finish ngöndro is to pick the one that will enable you to be of the most benefit to sentient beings.
:thumbsup:
The essence of a real practice is to bring our intellectual understanding to the level of our heart - so as to feel it - to live it!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

As per usual I went about things ass first! The reason I started Ngondro is because I wanted and asked for a specific post-ngondro practice. Still got a couple of years though. Gotta say one thing though, whoever told me that your knees get used to prostating was lying! :tongue:
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

gregkavarnos wrote:As per usual I went about things ass first! The reason I started Ngondro is because I wanted and asked for a specific post-ngondro practice. Still got a couple of years though. Gotta say one thing though, whoever told me that your knees get used to prostating was lying! :tongue:
They only get used to prostrations after your third complete knee replacement operation :bow: :bow: :bow: :mrgreen:

Namkhai Norbu
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

gregkavarnos wrote:As per usual I went about things ass first! The reason I started Ngondro is because I wanted and asked for a specific post-ngondro practice. Still got a couple of years though. Gotta say one thing though, whoever told me that your knees get used to prostating was lying!
Either that, or they were in their early 20's :tongue:

One thing for sure, Ngondro ain't for pussies. I'm in my late 50's and I'm finding the practice more physically, spiritually, emotionally and intellectually challenging that just about anything I've ever done. Just finding the time to do the practice is a major challenge. I'm still working on prostration practice and it takes me about 90 minutes to complete it (and I do half p's). After a full day at the office, dinner, some quiet time with the wife, 90 minutes of practice ain't easy. At all.

I'm convinced that Ngondro is something you have to really want to do. It takes commitment. It takes focus.

I'm strangely reminded of Milarepa building towers ...........
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Chaz wrote: I'm convinced that Ngondro is something you have to really want to do. It takes commitment. It takes focus.
The wonderful thing about ngondro is that unlike almost everything else in life, it can't be faked. Sooner or later you have to either get real or give it up.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

more ngondro.

Provided you think you can "finish" in the first place....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

It is hard, i'd rather go run for 2 hrs than do prostrations... marathon training is much easier.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Chaz wrote:
Except that never happened.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Relatedly

N..which version of Millarepa do you know or suppose as true..as sourcerer or not.

I'd guess not but am no scholor.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ronnewmexico wrote:Relatedly

N..which version of Millarepa do you know or suppose as true..as sourcerer or not.

I'd guess not but am no scholor.

Read Peter Allen Roberts' book on the bios of Rechungpa.

The standard bio of Milarepa by Tsang Nyon Heruka, is quite late and stands a number of facts on their head when it is compared to bios composed by Gampopa, and so on (for example, Milarepa's mother is never mentioned, his father was alive, there was no evil Aunt and Uncle, etc. ).

Basically, Roberts tracks all of the hagiographies of Mila in an effort to find out why Mila's main student, Rechungpa, and only complete lineage holder, was turned into an example of the "bad student" par excellence by generations of Kagyu monastics.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Namdrol wrote:
Chaz wrote:
Except that never happened.

So, a discussion of Kagyu Ngondro practice suddenly becomes a lesson in history?

I am reminded of a story that is told about Milarepa, that at the time I posted had some slight parallel to my practice. Whether or not it really happened is quite irrelevant both to me, and IMHO, to this discussion.

(I orginally posted this: "Whether it happened or not isn't of much importance to me.')
Last edited by Chaz on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

gnegirl wrote:It is hard, i'd rather go run for 2 hrs than do prostrations... marathon training is much easier.

It's real easy to make excuses to skip practice, especially when the practice takes a long time or is in some way hard.

I guess that's where commitment comes in.
Last edited by Chaz on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Whether it happened or not isn't of much importance to me.
Yeah, it has kindda reached the point where "it's the thought that counts".
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Thanks N

my appologies to the initial poster from deviating from point..
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

Return to “Mahamudra”