Kukai's Vajra and Bell

Huseng
Former staff member

Kukai's Vajra and Bell

Post by Huseng »

Right now at the Tokyo National Museum they have an exhibition of Mikkyo art and assorted items including some of Kukai's possessions. They have the vajra and bell he received from his teacher Huiguo. I took some covert photos (Japanese museums are generally intolerant of even non-flash photography as they probably want you to buy the photo book on sale in the gift shop).

Assuming these were manufactured sometime around when they were bestowed upon Kukai, they'd be from the early 9th century. Unless someone knows otherwise, I assume they are of Chinese make.

Amazing to see these up close. I stood there a good fifteen minutes looking them over and just imagining where they came from.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Re: Kukai's Vajra and Bell

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Do you happen to know how long this exhibit will be at the museum?

Thanks,

jake
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Nevermind, was able to google it:

http://www.tnm.jp/modules/r_free_page/index.php?id=1393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ends September 25th.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

If you have a chance by all means go.

I recommend a weekday. It was absolutely packed today despite it being an ordinary Tuesday afternoon. I imagine a weekend is intolerable. There is advertising for this exhibit all around Tokyo.

Visiting Koyasan's museum at Koyasan in Wakayama prefecture is also a good trip to take if you want to see authentic Mikkyo stuff.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I made a brief post about this at my blog, too:

http://huayanzang.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... -bell.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Very cool pic Huseng, thanks.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Huseng wrote:

Amazing to see these up close. I stood there a good fifteen minutes looking them over and just imagining where they came from.
These were mostly likley manufactured in Java. This style of bell and dorje is typical of Javanese vajras and bells cast during that period.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Namdrol wrote:
Huseng wrote:

These were mostly likley manufactured in Java. This style of bell and dorje is typical of Javanese vajras and bells cast during that period.
I see. Now that is interesting to consider.
rory

Post by rory »

Big gassho Huseng;
the pic is amazing, please post more!
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

rory wrote:Big gassho Huseng;
the pic is amazing, please post more!
I was limited in my photo taking at the time because you're not supposed to take photos. Even non-flash photography. I had to take pics covertly. :spy:
rory

Post by rory »

I understand, I'm enjoying your blog as well. Are many people interested in Mikkyo in Japan, that so many are crowding the exhibit?
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

rory wrote:I understand, I'm enjoying your blog as well. Are many people interested in Mikkyo in Japan, that so many are crowding the exhibit?
gassho
Rory
I think the exhibit is popular due to the extensive advertising. There are huge signs for it in train stations.

I noticed it was mostly older folks visiting and reckon the majority of them are retired. Mind you, that was on a weekday afternoon. There might be a few more youth on weekends, but probably not so much more.

I don't think most visitors would ever think to take up practising or even studying Mikkyo. It is part of Japan's cultural heritage and the artwork is just downright cool. The sculptures on exhibit in particular are fine works of art and their exotic mysterious quality intrigue people.
mudra

Post by mudra »

Huseng wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Huseng wrote:

I see. Now that is interesting to consider.
Actually I have never seen a dorje and bell from Java that looked like that. Usually the Javanese (Sumatran too) bell had a bit of a 'midriff' bulge, curve and then a flare out on the bottom,
http://jameelcentre.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/col ... object/547
reflected also in the stupas from that period which Jowo Atisha popularized in Tibet as the "Kadampa Stupa", for example the stupas on Candi Borobudur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borobudur
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote: These were mostly likley manufactured in Java. This style of bell and dorje is typical of Javanese vajras and bells cast during that period.
And Java was a stronghold of Vajrayana at the time.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
mudra

Post by mudra »

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote: These were mostly likley manufactured in Java. This style of bell and dorje is typical of Javanese vajras and bells cast during that period.
And Java was a stronghold of Vajrayana at the time.

Kirt
Java and Sumatra were yes. But that vajra especially that bell really don't look Javanese at all.

Return to “Shingon”