sitting positions

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Karma K Sonam

sitting positions

Post by Karma K Sonam »

I am entering that age when I am starting to worry about varicose veins and general circulation in my legs when sitting for long periods. Does anyone know if there is any evidence (not anecdotal) about whether not not sitting crossed legged causes circulation problems/complications?

I'm kinda hoping people will post back saying nooooo it is all fine as I like sitting on my cushion; I've tried a chair but it just doesn't seem the same (too high up for a start!)

Many thanks :D
don't forget to stop and smell the daisies.
nirmal

Re: sitting positions

Post by nirmal »

I know a guy whose feet turn blue while sitting in a lotus position.This is bad.We should not force ourselves.Now he walks with a limp and has knee trouble.When I first started meditation, there was nothing but pain.I was not able to meditate at all but just kept going until I broke through the pain barrier and I mean that blood started flowing naturally after a few years.Now, after about 20 years, I can sit with ease for 2 hours and get up right away and start walking without any numbness or pain in my legs.I still sit in a semi lotus position and will keep doing that as it suits me and gives me the peace of mind to meditate.It's just time that will actually allow blood circulation take its natural path.The meditation seat that I made for myself is a great help too.
Attachments
Image004.jpg
Image004.jpg (70.33 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Image003.jpg
Image003.jpg (81.24 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Karma K Sonam

Post by Karma K Sonam »

I saw this in a different thread (I think) it looks really neat. It took a while to work it out when I first saw it, I thought, do you sit IN it? Then I realised there was another photo! Lol!
don't forget to stop and smell the daisies.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Karma K Sonam wrote:I am entering that age when I am starting to worry about varicose veins and general circulation in my legs when sitting for long periods. Does anyone know if there is any evidence (not anecdotal) about whether not not sitting crossed legged causes circulation problems/complications?

I'm kinda hoping people will post back saying nooooo it is all fine as I like sitting on my cushion; I've tried a chair but it just doesn't seem the same (too high up for a start!)

Many thanks :D
I'm at a similar age and I'm finding that extended sitting has some negative effect on joints - knees, hips and ankles. Last time I did a Shambhala Training level, I almost couldn't walk out of the room at the end of the weekend. With my last solitary retreat, my hips hurt so bad after 3.5 days I HAD to fo to a chair. Lately I've taken to using a chair all the time - an inexpensive height-adjustable office chair from IKEA - and a laptop stand for a table. It doesn't have quite the same "feel" as sitting on a cushion, but after getting used to it, I find I can sit for longer periods and my practice is as good if not better than on a cushion.

I've never seen any data drawn from medical studies, etc. I don't need them I guess. I go with what works. I say we leave the "work through the pain" attitude to the 20-somethings. Practicing with pain is no virtue.

All that said, if there's any studies available I'd love to read them.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If this guy can practice and reach enlightenment while sitting on a chair I can't see why we cannot!
Maitreya.jpg
Maitreya.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Meditation”