Anyone read Duckworth's Mipam on Buddha-Nature?

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
kirtu
Former staff member

Anyone read Duckworth's Mipam on Buddha-Nature?

Post by kirtu »

Any comments on Mipam on Buddha-Nature: The Ground of the Nyingma Tradition by
Douglas S. Duckworth?

Thanks!

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Anyone read Duckworth's Mipam on Buddha-Nature?

Post by kirtu »

I've gotten some very good comments on Duckworth who as it turns out is on the Dharmachakra Translation Committee, so I've read some of his stuff before on that basis. He's also a practitioner and prof. at UVA. So two thumbs up for him so I'll probably get his book which is a version of his PhD thesis.

Thanks for the comments!

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

I have a copy of the book. I picked it up while I was studying Shantarakshita's Madhyamakalankara, had an interest in understanding Zhentong, and Mipam. I have yet to read it as my focus has shifted,
but I hope to pick it up one day. Duckworth made an appearance here in the Carolina's last year, but I missed the opportunity to attend.

Shaun
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Oh, BTW. It was recommended to me by a Jonang monk of exceptional intellect and wisdom who has posted on this forum a few times.
Shaun

Return to “Book Reviews”