Fitness - (general responses)

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Epistemes

Fitness - (general responses)

Post by Epistemes »

Does TM address the area of fitness? In these threads, yoga and walking are mentioned, but what about Western obsessions like running and strength-training? What about martial arts? I've never seen a picture of a "built" lama.
Cantankerous Buddha
el_chupacabra

Re: Fitness

Post by el_chupacabra »

don't forget all the mountain trekking, doing plenty of prostrations, and eating nothing but tsampa. :tongue:
justsit

Post by justsit »

Sakyong Mipham runs marathons for charity. Did a 3:09 and qualified for Boston. Not too shabby.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

According to Vajrayana practitioners, Buddhahood / rainbow body boils down to working with the channels and chakras in the physical body.

Since TM and Vajrayana are intimately related or even the same, I would assume TM would put great emphasis on physical fitness?

I mean they do have trul khor for example right?
el_chupacabra

Post by el_chupacabra »

alwayson wrote:According to Vajrayana practitioners, Buddhahood / rainbow body boils down to working with the channels and chakras in the physical body.

Since TM and Vajrayana are intimately related or even the same, I would assume TM would put great emphasis on the health of the body.
True as this is, it seems that ideas of health vary. I remember a yoga teacher once asking me why I cycled to her class as the exercise would tighten my muscles while the point of yoga was to lenghten them, I gave her some BS about balancing it out - she was eight months pregnant at the time time and I asked her about this - apparently the doctors had advised her against teaching yoga at that stage but she said that she was more aware of her own body than they were, and in retrospect was proven correct. I guess a more subtle level can seem mysterious to those working purely on a gross level.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

el_chupacabra wrote: I remember a yoga teacher ....she was eight months pregnant at the time

No offense.

But white ladies teaching American yoga don't count on this forum.

:rules:
el_chupacabra

Post by el_chupacabra »

alwayson wrote:
el_chupacabra wrote: I remember a yoga teacher ....she was eight months pregnant at the time

No offense.

But white ladies teaching American yoga don't count on this forum.

:rules:
lool, I hope you're not clinging to concepts there.
she was brazilian, so neither white, nor not white :tongue:
rose
Site Admin

Re: Fitness - (general responses)

Post by rose »

MODERATOR NOTE

This topic has been copied and placed in the Lounge forum so as any member can make a response. The original topic "Fitness" is still in the Tibetan Medicine Forum however as per the Guidelines for that forum all general responses to the OP by non qualified members (in Tibetan Medicine that is) have been removed.

Regards
Paul

Post by Paul »

I know Mingyur Rinpoche was really into running at one point. HH Karmapa also works out, from what I understand (I saw his weight bench).

And prostrations will certainly make you sweat.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

I ask because, while a good workout helps relieve stress, working out can also raise stress to a degree.
Cantankerous Buddha
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Epistemes wrote:I ask because, while a good workout helps relieve stress, working out can also raise stress to a degree.
Absolutely.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tara wrote: This topic has been copied and placed in the Lounge forum so as any member can make a response. The original topic "Fitness" is still in the Tibetan Medicine Forum however as per the Guidelines for that forum all general responses to the OP by non qualified members (in Tibetan Medicine that is) have been removed.
Thanks for the clarification. When I saw TM, I thought it was talking about Transcendental Meditation. I guess the acronym is used more for Tibetan Medicine today -- shows how old I am. :tongue:
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

We'll have to wait for Namdrol, but my understanding is that Trulkor and Kum Nye are what are used for physical fitness, but generally long prostrations and walking are often used in a path.

Return to “Lounge”