One side of body more tense than other

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
sangyey

One side of body more tense than other

Post by sangyey »

Is it normal for one side of your body to have more muscle tension than the other? For the longest time my shoulder, neck area, and back area on my left side holds more tension than the other side. I have been doing about 10 minutes of yoga/stretching everyday and it is dislodging some of the tension. It's certainly noticeable when doing the stretching but I wonder if this is somewhat normal for most people anyway? When I sit in half lotus during formal practice and put my right leg over my left leg that side is also noticeable more tense than doing it vice versa ( I do try to switch legs every session as I know that is suggested ).

Thank you for your consideration.
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: One side of body more tense than other

Post by catmoon »

It's certainly common among tennis players. Some activities just work one side of the body much more strongly than the other.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Josef

Post by Josef »

VInyasa yoga will probably help a ton.
Crescent Moon asana in particular.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Sangyey,

Yes, it's normal to have more tension on one side. Yoga is good. Cold showers can also really help, because they stimulate the body's microcirculation. Let the cold water hit your neck/shoulders, and at the same time, vigorously massage them. Dry-brushing the body beforehand will also help, and make the cold shower less shocking.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Do you have desk job? It might well be caused by that. :techproblem:
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Paul, I don't have a desk job but have been a student for a few years and have used the computer quite regularly. Actually, when I first started noticing the tension I attritubuted it to computer use because my left shoulder side rises upwards when leaning down on my right side using the mouse.

I'm not really sure, perhaps it's best to just do a little stretching and forget about it. I had been wondering as some of the other posters commented that it is normal to have more tension on one side of the body. When I sit in half lotus one side is definitely more tense than the other and switch sides every session to try to have a balance. Of course, this day in age computers are used a lot so I am uncertain as to how much of the tension is caused by perhaps a natural imbalance and how much (might) be caused by repetitive use of computers.
Paul

Post by Paul »

sangyey wrote:Paul, I don't have a desk job but have been a student for a few years and have used the computer quite regularly. Actually, when I first started noticing the tension I attritubuted it to computer use because my left shoulder side rises upwards when leaning down on my right side using the mouse.
If you've been a student recently, maybe carrying around a bag could've also caused problems. That happened to me thanks to carrying books around for ages in a back pack & only using one shoulder strap.

I had been wondering as some of the other posters commented that it is normal to have more tension on one side of the body. When I sit in half lotus one side is definitely more tense than the other and switch sides every session to try to have a balance.
I had a long conversation about posture with a monk a few weeks ago and he said that it's going to be the case that one side is a bit easier than the other when it comes to stretching into a meditation posture. I sit Burmese style and one leg always feels more comfortable when next to my thigh than the other. I guess everyone's a bit wonky.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
everydaygoodfella

Post by everydaygoodfella »

I know this is a late response but if it helps i had the same issue my whole right side of my body was like tense and i wouldnt even notice i was tense. I was constantly worrying thinking that there was something screwed up with me. Then a good samritan posted this, and it solved my issue quickly, the answer was so simple.

"Your body is tense because you are probably tense. Try doing some light yoga or taking up a form of meditation to help relieve the stress in your life. A massage is also helpful. Swimming is wonderful. Do you worry? Probably so. It's wasted energy, honey. Serves no productive purpose, so try letting it go, and trust."
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Maybe your pillow is causing that.

If i sleep with a wrong pillow or in the wrong position i may found lots of tension and pain in my left side of the neck and shoulders.
lobster

Post by lobster »

sangyey wrote:Is it normal for one side of your body to have more muscle tension than the other?.
very common to be aware that internally the body is not symetrical.
Solutions?
hot bath meditation
yoga nidra
prostrations
hugs

my all bodies of buddhas benefit :hug:

Return to “Alternative Health”