A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom by Dudjom Rinpoche

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
upasaka

A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom by Dudjom Rinpoche

Post by upasaka »

What do you guys think about this new book? Is anyone here who red it already?

A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom: Complete Instructions on the Preliminary Practices
http://www.amazon.com/Torch-Lighting-Wa ... 466&sr=8-1
wisdom

Re: A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom by Dudjom Rinpoche

Post by wisdom »

I've read it. Its really good. Its very clear, direct and concise in regards to the foundation that should be established prior to practicing Ngondro such as the conduct of the student and guru, as well as the qualifications and conditions of these. Then it gives explanations about not only the state of mind, intention, and so forth for the Ngondro practices, but also the visualizations and so forth involved. At the end the practices are arranged together in order, without interspersed commentary. And the Padmakara translation group does a good job translating from what I hear.

It was originally recommended to me by a Lama, and I'm glad that it was.
upasaka

Post by upasaka »

wisdom wrote:I've read it. Its really good. Its very clear, direct and concise in regards to the foundation that should be established prior to practicing Ngondro such as the conduct of the student and guru, as well as the qualifications and conditions of these. Then it gives explanations about not only the state of mind, intention, and so forth for the Ngondro practices, but also the visualizations and so forth involved. At the end the practices are arranged together in order, without interspersed commentary. And the Padmakara translation group does a good job translating from what I hear.

It was originally recommended to me by a Lama, and I'm glad that it was.
Thank you. So the structure is quite similar to WOMPT?

:anjali:
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

Yep!
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

This text is not just a commentary on ngondro, but includes extensive commentary on so many aspects of the path, from conduct towards the Guru, how to listen to a Dharma teaching, etc. etc. that it should not be missed even if one has completed ngondro long ago and doesn't plan to do it again.

Also, just a clarification: this is HH Dudjom Rinpoche's own commentary on the LONG Dudjom Tersar Ngondro.

Often, what we are given in the west by various Dudjom lineage masters is the "concise" Dudjom ngondro to practice. In addition to the concise ngondro, there is the elaborate one, which has different melodies and is longer with much more detail. Obviously, the commentary by HH on the long one will be immeasurably of great benefit also for those practicing the concise one, (just as Thinley Norbu Rinpoche's commentary on the concise ngondro would benefit someone engaged in the long one)--and for anyone practicing any ngondro in general-- but I wanted to clarify because if you look at the chapters you will see the order goes 4 thoughts--> refuge--> vajrasattva --> mandala ---> guru yoga whereas in the concise the mandala offering goes before the vajrasattva accumulation. There are a number of differences also concerning visualization, etc. that should be clarified with one's Lama. I know people that begin with the concise ngondro, and then move onto the long one as a second ngondro..
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Roland

Post by Roland »

I just finished reading this book. As well as the above comments, I have to say that I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to read this. This is an essential book for me and it is indeed very clear. I recommend it.
:namaste:
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
blackpath

Post by blackpath »

Adamantine wrote:This text is not just a commentary on ngondro, but includes extensive commentary on so many aspects of the path, from conduct towards the Guru, how to listen to a Dharma teaching, etc. etc. that it should not be missed even if one has completed ngondro long ago and doesn't plan to do it again.

Also, just a clarification: this is HH Dudjom Rinpoche's own commentary on the LONG Dudjom Tersar Ngondro.
"A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom" is related to Dudjom Lingpa's sa-ter (earth terma) Zabsang Khandro Nyingtik ngondro, whereas the widely practiced Dudjom Tersar ngondro is sourced from Dudjom Lingpa's pure vision Daknang Yeshe Drawa cycle.

Dudjom Lingpa recounts in his bio that dakinis told him that few disciples would practice the ngondro from Zabsang Khandro Nyingtik, whereas many disciples would practice the Dudjom Tersar ngondro. It appears this foretelling was accurate.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Doesn't it need a rlung (ritual reading)?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Doesn't it need a rlung (ritual reading)?
Ideally we should get the rlung for everything. . . but not having it won't stop us from benefitting from reading it. It's not the kind of restricted text that requires the rlung before reading. If you're talking about the ngondro sadhana it's a commentary on, certainly it's essential to get the rlung before beginning the practice.
Terma

Post by Terma »

This looks like a great book. Though I am not doing the Dujom Ngondro, I am doing a Ngondro in a terma lineage. In terms of the Ngondro instructions, would this book be helpful for someone in my situation?
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Terma wrote:This looks like a great book. Though I am not doing the Dujom Ngondro, I am doing a Ngondro in a terma lineage. In terms of the Ngondro instructions, would this book be helpful for someone in my situation?
Yup

Return to “Book Reviews”