Namkhas (colored-thread elemental) are they only Bon?

Adamantine
Former staff member

Namkhas (colored-thread elemental) are they only Bon?

Post by Adamantine »

I have the book compiling ChNN's teachings on the meaning of and how to make a Namkha. . in the introduction, it seems to imply this is primarily a Bon practice. Is this true? I was thinking of making one and getting it blessed by one of my Nyingma Lamas but if it is primarily a Bon thing he may not know much about it or even approve.. does anyone have any insight? The book alludes to similar practices being widespread among indigenous cultures around the world, which is interesting..

If it is mainly Bonpo, is there an equivalent and effective practice among Buddhists to harmonize the elemental energies of the individual?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Virgo

Re: Namkhas (colored-thread elemental) are they only Bon?

Post by Virgo »

Adamantine wrote:I have the book compiling ChNN's teachings on the meaning of and how to make a Namkha. . in the introduction, it seems to imply this is primarily a Bon practice. Is this true? I was thinking of making one and getting it blessed by one of my Nyingma Lamas but if it is primarily a Bon thing he may not know much about it or even approve.. does anyone have any insight? The book alludes to similar practices being widespread among indigenous cultures around the world, which is interesting..

If it is mainly Bonpo, is there an equivalent and effective practice among Buddhists to harmonize the elemental energies of the individual?
As far as I know, these instructions were given to Rinpoche in a mind ter. I am not 100 percent sure about this, but this is what I seem to remember from somewhere.

I am sure any Nyingma lama will bless it for you.

Kevin
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:I have the book compiling ChNN's teachings on the meaning of and how to make a Namkha. . in the introduction, it seems to imply this is primarily a Bon practice. Is this true? I was thinking of making one and getting it blessed by one of my Nyingma Lamas but if it is primarily a Bon thing he may not know much about it or even approve.. does anyone have any insight? The book alludes to similar practices being widespread among indigenous cultures around the world, which is interesting..

No, thread crosses began as Bon thing and were adapted to Buddhist practice by Guru Rinpoche.

N
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Oh Ok, so they are considered a proper Buddhist practice then? I just haven't seen them ever on home shrines of my friends in Nepal, etc.. is it something that used to be more widespread or is more practiced in certain areas?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Adamantine wrote: I just haven't seen them ever on home shrines of my friends in Nepal, etc.
Just put it like next to your bed and stuff or in some good placement in your home :)

Kevin
rai

Post by rai »

hello, do you think Namkha could be printed on paper (i made one in a graphic program) or it has to be made of stick/strings/threads to have a function ? thank you!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Not it is not just a Bon thing, but if you are going to make a Namkha then you should just do the right to authenticate it yourself, there is no need to bring it to a Lama at all.

N
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:hello, do you think Namkha could be printed on paper (i made one in a graphic program) or it has to be made of stick/strings/threads to have a function ? thank you!

You need to manufacture it or have it manufactured for you. But it better to do it yourself.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:Oh Ok, so they are considered a proper Buddhist practice then? I just haven't seen them ever on home shrines of my friends in Nepal, etc.. is it something that used to be more widespread or is more practiced in certain areas?
This is something very specific to Dzogchen Community and Norbu Rinpoche's transmisison. It is not common.

Thread crosses are commonly used in Buddhist ransom ceremonies (glud) where they represent the energy of the person's five elements.

N
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Virgo wrote:
As far as I know, these instructions were given to Rinpoche in a mind ter.

Yes.
heart

Post by heart »

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Oh Ok, so they are considered a proper Buddhist practice then? I just haven't seen them ever on home shrines of my friends in Nepal, etc.. is it something that used to be more widespread or is more practiced in certain areas?
This is something very specific to Dzogchen Community and Norbu Rinpoche's transmisison. It is not common.

Thread crosses are commonly used in Buddhist ransom ceremonies (glud) where they represent the energy of the person's five elements.

N
If you watch the movie here http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , in the end there is a huge thread cross used as a ransom for Dzongsar Khyentse and Neten Chokling if I am not mistaken.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Just wondering about any personal-experience stories: has anyone on this forum actually constructed and empowered a Namkha for themselves? If so, did you see a difference in your life afterwards, any noticeable benefits that you would attribute to it?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:Just wondering about any personal-experience stories: has anyone on this forum actually constructed and empowered a Namkha for themselves? If so, did you see a difference in your life afterwards, any noticeable benefits that you would attribute to it?

Yes, and yes.
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

I remember watching an old documentary following an extremely elaborate Tara puja (possibly Nyingma, but definitely not Terma) in which namkhas were used to construct a mandala of sorts. I wish I remembered more about it, but it certainly seemed to be an old Tara Tantra, just judging by the complexity of the ritual.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:I remember watching an old documentary following an extremely elaborate Tara puja (possibly Nyingma, but definitely not Terma) in which namkhas were used to construct a mandala of sorts. I wish I remembered more about it, but it certainly seemed to be an old Tara Tantra, just judging by the complexity of the ritual.

Not a tantra, a rite called "grol ma gyul ldog" i.e. The rite of Tara for repelling Armies
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Namdrol wrote:

Not a tantra, a rite called "grol ma gyul ldog" i.e. The rite of Tara for repelling Armies
Ooooh.

Kevin
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol wrote:
JinpaRangdrol wrote:I remember watching an old documentary following an extremely elaborate Tara puja (possibly Nyingma, but definitely not Terma) in which namkhas were used to construct a mandala of sorts. I wish I remembered more about it, but it certainly seemed to be an old Tara Tantra, just judging by the complexity of the ritual.

Can we use this to repel the police from continually attacking the Occupy movement? http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 52320900/1
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_eye" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting.

Does anyone know where to obtain a Namkha?

I know that it's better to make it ourself, however I've never been good at making things and would like to consecrate a Namkha sooner rather than later.

It seems like Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's Ligmincha store use to carry them, but I'm not totally sure.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Lhug-Pa wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_eye

Interesting.

right... why do the god's eyes and the namkhas pretty much look identical?
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Is it more effective to create a namkha for oneself vs. purchasing an authentic one made by others?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman

Return to “Nyingma”