etiquette

Help required with personal difficulties.
eytoj

etiquette

Post by eytoj »

i will be attending a public event where a rinpoche will be presenting if i get a private moment with him is it polite to present him with a khata to bless?
Mr. G

Re: etiquette

Post by Mr. G »

If you get a chance for a private moment, yes. Get your mala blessed too. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

eytoj wrote:i will be attending a public event where a rinpoche will be presenting if i get a private moment with him is it polite to present him with a khata to bless?
Yup, but don't expect them to give it back.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Greg is right. Khatas are an offering. Used to be that khatas were only returned to the giver as a mark of special blessing and appreciation. Now, Lamas routinely give back khatas. Otherwise, what to do with all the khatas? However, sometimes khatas are kept as special sign of appreciation. For instance, a couple of months ago I arranged a Medicine Buddha lung at Shechen Monastery in Boudha for a bunch of medical volunteers. Everyone got their khata back from the Khenpo. I was the last person to offer a khata and the Khenpo kept it as a tendrel since I was the one who arranged for the event. When a khata is returned to the giver, it is a blessing. But offering the khata is an offering; it's not meant as something to be blessed and returned to the offerer.

Back in the old days, when most khatas were kept, the Lama's treasurer would later resell the khatas as a way of making money for the labrang. Used to be that, after a large event, there would be a mountain of khatas in front of the Lama's table/throne.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Help Required”