Keep permanent stream of consciousness

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Nosta

Keep permanent stream of consciousness

Post by Nosta »

Can it be possible to keep a permanent stream of consciousness even while sleeping?

For example, to a buddhist monk doing Vipassana, the best thing would be to get mindfull ALL the day. Can be that possible?

It is said that Buddha didnt really sleep, for instance.
gad rgyangs

Re: Keep permanent stream of consciousness

Post by gad rgyangs »

In Tantric Buddhism, such as Dzogchen, it is held that through meditation practice one gets to a stage where one can remain awake & aware in one's mental body while the physical body is asleep. This allows for continuing practice and experience in other dimensions during the night. A similar practice and result is recounted in various Western esoteric traditions, such as Anthroposophy. Lucid dreaming would be just a beginning glimpse of the possibilities here.
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Anders

Post by Anders »

Nosta wrote:Can it be possible to keep a permanent stream of consciousness even while sleeping?

For example, to a buddhist monk doing Vipassana, the best thing would be to get mindfull ALL the day. Can be that possible?

Doesn't necessarily need speacial dream yogas or the like, though these can perhaps also be useful. If you mindfulness is sufficiently stable when you go to sleep, it will keep going into sleep.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Nosta wrote:Can it be possible to keep a permanent stream of consciousness even while sleeping?

It is possible to remain aware while being asleep. This tends to happen during meditation retreats where you're engaged in full-time meditation. Though when you go back to ordinary life it wears off.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Falling asleep, waking up, may be good ways to taste (again) how rebirth and death.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Nosta wrote:Falling asleep, waking up, may be good ways to taste (again) how rebirth and death.
Exactly. But as the other mentioned one can keep mindfulness throughout the day and during sleep. Of course this is not the same as something permanent.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Huseng wrote:

It is possible to remain aware while being asleep. This tends to happen during meditation retreats where you're engaged in full-time meditation. Though when you go back to ordinary life it wears off.
In Dzogchen, and I can speak according to my understanding of hows ChNN teaches it, this can be solved when after the recognition of instant presence (not mere awareness) one gradually trains to integrate every action into practice, meaning one never abandons that state not mattering what one is doing. This aspect of the practice is one of the things that was most compelling in my decision to learn Dzogchen, exactly because the effects of intensive practice done while in retreat tend to wear off when one re engages in everyday activities. I think this point is very important for those who can't spend some years practicing in retreat conditions.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Thanks!

I think i will learn more about Dzogchen.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Nosta wrote:Thanks!

I think i will learn more about Dzogchen.
If you choose to learn more, definitely read "The Crystal and the Way of Light" by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Thanks for that advice :)

I will try to find that book.

Return to “Meditation”