Swaying in meditation

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
dakini_boi

Swaying in meditation

Post by dakini_boi »

Anyone know, what is the significance (if any) of swaying in meditation? Particularly in circles or figure-8 pattern.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: Swaying in meditation

Post by Adamantine »

Time to take a break and go dancing?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Wind imbalances. And I don't mean beans either (though, of course, diet does play a role).
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

I don't know. I sway during Puja myself.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Although this is widely viewed as a flaw in mindfulness, I've seen the Dalai Lama do it. Also Jews praying at the Wailing Wall, come to think of it.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Konchog1 wrote:I don't know. I sway during Puja myself.
That's different.

During meditation itself you should never sway. During puja when you are more relaxed and you mind might not be completely united with mantra (in you are doing mantra recitation for example) then it's fine. You are kind of dancing.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

kirtu wrote:During meditation itself you should never sway. During puja when you are more relaxed and you mind might not be completely united with mantra (in you are doing mantra recitation for example) then it's fine. You are kind of dancing.
I find it happens when I am absorbed totally in the mantra.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:
kirtu wrote:During meditation itself you should never sway. During puja when you are more relaxed and you mind might not be completely united with mantra (in you are doing mantra recitation for example) then it's fine. You are kind of dancing.
I find it happens when I am absorbed totally in the mantra.
Really? Maybe you're not as absorbed as you think. Then again there might be two types of people, swayers and non-swayers ....

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Helps to ease back pain during long sessions.
Shaun :namaste:
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

I should clarify, it happens when doing mantra recitation, not silent meditation such as shamatha.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

dakini_boi wrote:I should clarify, it happens when doing mantra recitation, not silent meditation such as shamatha.
Gee now that u mention it.... I've sometimes caught myself starting to sway during mantra practice myself. But I just figured it was something to correct, just as if I was doing meditation. You think it's important, maybe?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Mantra is related to movement in general so I wouldnt worry about it too much.
HHDL is a big swayer during pujas etc.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

kirtu wrote:Really? Maybe you're not as absorbed as you think. Then again there might be two types of people, swayers and non-swayers ...
Well if I think I am absorbed then I am definitely not absorbed... :tongue: As for the swayer/non-swayer thing: I tend to be a very mobile person in general, I'm a foot tapper and tend to toss around when in bed too, so maybe you are onto something there.

Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

For me too, it happens when I become absorbed in mantra or shamatha, or at least unabsorbed enough to notice it's happening. In my own case, there's no way to control it unless I begin focusing almost entirely on preventing my body from being blown back and forth by a kind of invisible breeze. It is quite different from say some kind of nervous toe tapping where you can see you are unconciously doing the acivity, to me this feels like some kind of gentle force that is doing it. It's a bit weird but I have had it for years so I'm used to it. No one has ever commented on it to me either, such as meditation instructors or lamas, so I have assumed its not particularly important.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Just tell your mind(or yourself) that you don't want to sway during meditation.Or just break the rhythm The swaying will stop.
maybay

Post by maybay »

just look at the swaying
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

There have been a few times while following my breath where I had actually been fairly consistent at staying with my breath and in the tranquility of it, noticed the very strong sensation of swaying, though I'm guessing if it is anything beyong sensation, that it wouldn't be noticed by casual observer.
Uniltiranyu

Post by Uniltiranyu »

A sense of swaying can be a good thing. If you look like you are sitting on an out of control bullet train when you meditate, then that might be a bit odd. But the swaying is okay, especially if, when you are just sitting there, you can feel it. Go online and look for pictures of the Damaru - The Drum of Immortality, a slow, steady flip-flop marking an eternal rhythm. Then, imagine your hand making that movement without the drum - turning a wheel, over and over. The subtle swaying is a topic of meditation in itself, a pleasant feeling that fosters mindfulness and calm, and the development of Jhana. In the Bible, this movement is the wandering of Cain - invisible, and ever-wandering, back and forth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damaru

Return to “Meditation”