Random question on Chogyam Trungpa

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lotus_Bitch

Random question on Chogyam Trungpa

Post by Lotus_Bitch »

Hi:

This is second hand info, that I got from someone...So I just want to see if anyone knows anything about Chogyam Trungpa ever holding a nine point vajra with his right finger and thumb, on some sort of "9th point" while giving lectures or whatever? What is the significance of this act and the number nine in Tibetan Buddhism (if the information I received is credible info?)
Many meditators know how to meditate,
But only a few know how to dismantle [mental clinging].
- Je Gyare
Josef

Re: Random question on Chogyam Trungpa

Post by Josef »

Maybe he was drunk.

Great username by the way.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Lotus_Bitch

Post by Lotus_Bitch »

Nangwa wrote:Maybe he was drunk.

So the actual act itself has no significance whatsoever? You haven't read about this or seen it referenced somewhere or heard anyone say anything about him doing this?

The number nine: What is it's significance in Tibetan Buddhism (if oyu know anything about this?)
- Je Gyare
Josef

Post by Josef »

Lotus_Bitch wrote:

So the actual act itself has no significance whatsoever? You haven't read about this or seen it referenced somewhere or heard anyone say anything about him doing this?

The number nine: What is it's significance in Tibetan Buddhism (if oyu know anything about this?)
According to the Nyingma school there are nine yanas.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Lotus_Bitch

Post by Lotus_Bitch »

Nangwa wrote:

Thank you. I came up with it based off a day dream I had at work, about starting a progressive death metal band with female vocals. The songs subject matter would've been based off of the buddhadharma; hence "Lotus"...With the inclusion of female vocals making it "Bitch." This may or may not be offensive to women.
- Je Gyare
Lotus_Bitch

Post by Lotus_Bitch »

Nangwa wrote:
Lotus_Bitch wrote:

According to the Nyingma school there are nine yanas.
Hmm...Ok, thank you for responding.
- Je Gyare
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lotus_Bitch wrote:
Nangwa wrote:

Thank you. I came up with it based off a day dream I had at work, about starting a progressive death metal band with female vocals. The songs subject matter would've been based off of the buddhadharma; hence "Lotus"...With the inclusion of female vocals making it "Bitch." This may or may not be offensive to women.
I guess it is a rather literal translation of Padmadas, "Servant of Padmasambhava".
Lotus_Bitch

Post by Lotus_Bitch »

Namdrol wrote:
Lotus_Bitch wrote:
Nangwa wrote:

I guess it is a rather literal translation of Padmadas, "Servant of Padmasambhava".
Lol, I thought of it as a rather funny joke. It would be something though if I actually did something like this....Though how to make the sound stand out and to make it unique and refreshing compared to the rest of the bands in this genre would be more of a challenge....
- Je Gyare
illusionsgame

Post by illusionsgame »

Nangwa wrote:
Maybe he was drunk.

You were about 6 years old when the great mahasiddha passed into parinirvana, so I doubt you remember him well. For those of us fortunate enough to meet and receive teachings from him, your statement places you in the category of those who are ruled by their expectations and self-interest. That is the biggest obstacle of all, and the one he worked so hard to encourage us to go beyond.

Instead of denigrating yourself by perpetuating ignorance of his upaya (he never hid anything from us--nothing), you should read the statements of His Holiness the 16th Karmapa who referred to Trungpa Rinpoche as the Lord of Dharma. Or to those of His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse who said that he was "equal to myself". Thrangu Rinpoche who constantly praises him everytime the subject comes up. Do I need to go on?

So do us all a favour and go sit instead of reinforcing spiritual materialism and causing doubt in the minds of new students. Thanks.
Josef

Post by Josef »

illusionsgame wrote:Nangwa wrote:
Maybe he was drunk.

You were about 6 years old when the great mahasiddha passed into parinirvana, so I doubt you remember him well. For those of us fortunate enough to meet and receive teachings from him, your statement places you in the category of those who are ruled by their expectations and self-interest. That is the biggest obstacle of all, and the one he worked so hard to encourage us to go beyond.

Instead of denigrating yourself by perpetuating ignorance of his upaya (he never hid anything from us--nothing), you should read the statements of His Holiness the 16th Karmapa who referred to Trungpa Rinpoche as the Lord of Dharma. Or to those of His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse who said that he was "equal to myself". Thrangu Rinpoche who constantly praises him everytime the subject comes up. Do I need to go on?

So do us all a favour and go sit instead of reinforcing spiritual materialism and causing doubt in the minds of new students. Thanks.
I didnt say anything about his upaya or capacity as a teacher.
He did drink a lot though.
To hide the facts of his drinking a womanizing would be far worse for new students than to be upfront about them.
Trungpa Rinpoche did a lot of great work for a lot of students and we are still feeling it today, and will for a long time.
Lighten up there chief.
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

Maybe he was drunk.

:good:
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Dhondrub wrote:
Maybe he was drunk.

:good:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
ratna

Post by ratna »

Lotus_Bitch wrote:starting a progressive death metal band with female vocals.
:thumbsup:
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Maybe he was drunk.

:good: x3
Nangwa wrote:To hide the facts of his drinking a womanizing would be far worse for new students than to be upfront about them.
Who was hiding anything?
Nangwa wrote:Lighten up there chief.
Is that a respectful request or something else?
Josef

Post by Josef »

michaelb wrote:
Maybe he was drunk.

:good: x3
Nangwa wrote:To hide the facts of his drinking a womanizing would be far worse for new students than to be upfront about them.
Who was hiding anything?
Nangwa wrote:Lighten up there chief.
Is that a respectful request or something else?
I'm not really sure what all the guff is about to be honest.
If nobody is hiding anything about these behaviors, why all the vitriol?
Trunpa Rinpoche gets a free pass, I'm not sure why this is the case.
What started as a quip has really become a tailspin in this thread.

I had no idea people would be so offended by a meaningless remark about something we all know.
It seems to me that illusionsgame's post is both bitter, and romantic.
All of the backslapping is pretty bizarre really.
Go ahead and keep it up though if you want.
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

Trungpa weenies tend to be touchy.
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

It appears they still have a long way to go if they get offended by what other people say about their teacher. Spiritual materialism? LOL. Pot calling kettle black I think.
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
rai

Post by rai »

AdmiralJim wrote:
It appears they still have a long way to go if they get offended by what other people say about their teacher. Spiritual materialism? LOL. Pot calling kettle black I think.
usually i feel uncomfortable when people are dissrespcetful even to some anonymous user on the forum. is it something wrong with that?
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

I fail to see where any disrespect is coming from?
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

gad rgyangs wrote:Trungpa weenies tend to be touchy.
Dude your teachers didnt teach you anything? Show some courtesy. Your bad mouthing of Lamas and there Sangha just disqualifies you in the end.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”